Sponsored

Joined the cracked windshield group today. Anyone used safelite before?

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
getting my windshield replaced through safelite. Does anyone know if they will replace with Oem windshield that has jeep on it? The guy I made my appointment with wasn’t sure. He said something about Willys windshield being used. Anyone had good experience with safelite?
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I kept trying to get safelite to replace mine and they no showed about 5 times. eventually found a local jeeper that has a glass shop and they work with geico to replace mine and waive the deductible.

Thats your best bet.

PYP1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I used safelite when my back glass got shattered by a golf ball. They came to my house and the installer noticed that the aftermarket window wasn't quite right just as he was about to install it. He managed to get my insurance company to approve an OEM glass but I had to wait two weeks. Supply chain stuff I guess.

When the OEM replacement came, I took the time to go their shop and have it replaced. That way you don't have glass shards in YOUR driveway. Even after the guy cleaned up, I kept finding glass shards for two weeks.

The lady sitting next to me at the shop during the 3 hour replacement said that whether or not they are any good is totally dependent on the location. I feel like I had good service at the location I went to but that may have more to do with the fact that a former student worked there and looked out for me.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
getting my windshield replaced through safelite. Does anyone know if they will replace with Oem windshield that has jeep on it? The guy I made my appointment with wasn’t sure. He said something about Willys windshield being used. Anyone had good experience with safelite?
Are you working through your insurance?

en2dirt

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I used safelite when my back glass got shattered by a golf ball. They came to my house and the installer noticed that the aftermarket window wasn't quite right just as he was about to install it. He managed to get my insurance company to approve an OEM glass but I had to wait two weeks. Supply chain stuff I guess.

When the OEM replacement came, I took the time to go their shop and have it replaced. That way you don't have glass shards in YOUR driveway. Even after the guy cleaned up, I kept finding glass shards for two weeks.

The lady sitting next to me at the shop during the 3 hour replacement said that whether or not they are any good is totally dependent on the location. I feel like I had good service at the location I went to but that may have more to do with the fact that a former student worked there and looked out for me.
I've used Safelite on my RV (at Safelite location) and Wrangler (at home) and they were great. Like PYP100 said, it all depends on location. Also, if I remember correctly, they do offer OEM replacement. Of course, it's more costly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
This is the part number they have down for my window DW02415GTYNOEM, it states it’s a Willy’s design. Doesn’t seem right tho. I have a 2020 rubicon

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Safelite here used the OEM stuff - the MOPAR tagged glass.
My son had his Compass windshield replaced by them (took 3 tries as the first time the wrong glass arrived, the second time it arrived broken, third time was a charm)
Then when I had my windshield replaced a week before I was trading it in, Safelite proper wasn't able to schedule the work before I needed it done so they sent me to another local shop that they partnered with at times.
No question - they used OEM glass.
It came in, he came out, he installed, that was that.
Granted, that was MY insurance and they've always been great about such things.
I told my agent of the crack, he said "call this number, we'll take care of it" and the lady was some sort of safelite agent who handled insurance claims. It was totally zero hassle aside from trying to get scheduled in on such a tight schedule - I HAD to have it done that week. But she found a shop that could handle it.

The first time around with that truck, back in 2020, there wasn't that much difference in the cost and I had the dealer's collision center take care of it.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I used Safelite when I replaced my windshield. I called USAA they set up my appointment, windshield replaced three days later. I have no complaints.

Viper501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sting Gray Mojave; 2020 Mercedes GLE
Occupation
Ninja
Safelite has an ‘arrangement’ with many of the insurance companies, including USAA, so they handle the entire claim start to finish. The above stories match my experience. It is definitely a hit or miss scenario and you sometimes do well and sometimes not. I had a great experience with the first Mercedes windshield they replaced but getting a crack repaired subsequently was a PIA. The local dealer recommended another local shop that did a perfect job and in the process ensured all the crazy camera stuff worked properly. I’d suggest calling the local high end dealers and see who they use for their stuff.

QuintusMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2022 JT
Safelite near me has both OEM and aftermarket, but you need to tell them ahead of time you want OEM, and it might make you end up waiting. Then you have to double check they're putting in the OEM.

I'm particular about having the OEM window, so I put a windshield film kit from grab-gard.com onto mine to protect it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on the brand - who made it, non-OEM glass will usually be just as good, maybe some even better. The OEM glass has the MOPAR insignia and the Jeep in the lower corner. That's really the only thing special about it. Current rules/laws/specs for auto glass have mostly filtered out the crap glass of the past.
Yes, I prefer and even ask to make sure I get the OEM branded stuff - but if I could not, I'd simply make sure it was one of the top glass makers in the world. The rules governing windshields in the states and EU are so strict it's amazing.
What drives the price of the OEM up is the branding, etc. - not the quality.
But since people prefer it - especially Jeep and Ford people when buying used vehicles, I try to go back to OEM.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I managed to bust the back window in my 2016 JK Wrangler twice. Both times I had Safelite replace it and did a claim through insurance (its like an $850 window, parts alone). 'Worst' part was sitting on the phone both times for a few minutes with the insurance company AND Safelite on the line so we could sort the claim (not sure if this was specific to my insurance company or happens to everyone). Both times it went really well and I wasn't even home for either one. I just left the Jeep at the house with the keys in the glove box. Both times window was replaced perfectly. Second time the Safelite guy on scene called me and asked if I knew why my rear wiper and sprayer wouldn't work because he was trying to verify operation after re-assembly. I walked him through finding the two quick disconnects on the hard top (I had unhooked them after the window resorted to rapid unplanned disassembly). Get home and found he had vacuumed out the entire back of the Jeep, spritzed a little air freshener and in general left it better for me than I had for him.

I'd do it again, so far.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
We had the windshield replaced on our JT last year and they asked if I wanted OEM or aftermarket. The OEM was a few bucks more expensive but I wanted that little Jeep juy in the corner - the installer said they get the OEM glass from the local dealer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to bust the back window in my 2016 JK Wrangler twice. Both times I had Safelite replace it and did a claim through insurance (its like an $850 window, parts alone). 'Worst' part was sitting on the phone both times for a few minutes with the insurance company AND Safelite on the line so we could sort the claim (not sure if this was specific to my insurance company or happens to everyone). Both times it went really well and I wasn't even home for either one. I just left the Jeep at the house with the keys in the glove box. Both times window was replaced perfectly. Second time the Safelite guy on scene called me and asked if I knew why my rear wiper and sprayer wouldn't work because he was trying to verify operation after re-assembly. I walked him through finding the two quick disconnects on the hard top (I had unhooked them after the window resorted to rapid unplanned disassembly). Get home and found he had vacuumed out the entire back of the Jeep, spritzed a little air freshener and in general left it better for me than I had for him.

I'd do it again, so far.
Must be specific to insurance company and their arrangement. When I called the number on my card (which I found is the same number my agent told me to call for claims) it took me right to a lady who did Safelite. There was no talking to anyone but her. However, she did have the guy they pointed me to call me to actually set up the appointment.
Couldn't have been easier.

Although the guy who did mine left it clean and tidy, I've had experiences that weren't so great in the past. Nice to hear someone actually cared.
There's one place in Des Moines I will never ever go back to after they butchered one of my cars slopping a windshield into it quickly and hacking the trim to make it fit back in place.
Sponsored