Sponsored

JT aftermarket exhausts hardly seem worth it.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
Living rent free in Bill's head
To be honest I think the whole topic needs thrown out and re-examined.
To think
1. that this engine is putting out all the power its ever going to and they tweaked it the best they could from the factory is silly. They build them to hit their power and mpg marks at x budget, its that simple. Give this motor to some race shop and say "no turbo, no supercharger and no NOS, tune it, intake manifold, exhaust manifold etc see what you get." I bet they could find more horse power but at the cost of either mpg or longevity.

2. its also silly to think we can toss an intake and an exhaust on and get 20+ hp. The intake and exhaust isnt the bulk of the issue (sure they could be improved) but really its all about the tuning and fuel maps and all that sort of stuff.

To sum it up, it runs like it does because they have metrics to hit and a budget to do it with. And I know its coming "you dont think if they could add 20 horsepower they would not have done it?" No not at the cost of X mpg, drivetrain durability or cooling capacity. You cant get something for nothing.
This.
Sponsored

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
The herd mentality toward CAI's on this forum is epic, lol. I've read posts were people actually believe the ECM has the power of God, and if you give your engine more air in, and no restriction out, it doesn't matter, because the almighty will just compensate for it. I agree timing can be changed and if your factory intake tract has no restriction at any level, a CAI will do you no good because there wasn't a problem to begin with. This is very simple, so please don't try and complicate it. The ECM doesn't have the ability to restrict air coming in or going out, it does exactly what it's told by ECM input sensors. If you lean out the mixture by removing restrictions, be it in or out, the module has no other option but to add fuel. It will do everything in it's limited power to make the ratio stoichiometeric.

Last edited:

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
However the same engine in the Dodge Challenger puts out 303HP and 268 #/ft of torque so why can’t we have the same in the Glad…
That's a question for Jeep "engineers". There's probably several reasons they deem legitimate why they've programmed the ECM to this power level that make absolutely no sense to end users.

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
I took a look at some of the available systems and was a bit surprised to see that most don’t even post dyno gains. The ones that do claim increases say “up to 5 hp and 5 tq. Seems like a huge waste of $$ to me.

anyone get better increases from a cat back system?

am I missing something here?
I don't think you've missed anything, they're a huge waste of money. I opened up my exhaust for $30. It's like paying $1000-$1900 for an aluminum front bumper that consists of a $45 3/16" aluminum plate with 2 or 3 brake bends and 8 holes drilled in it that literally takes a few minutes to build.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I went with AWE Trail exhaust and I also did the loop delete they offer.

They claim there is some power to be gained........I just wanted some sound

Sponsored

sl65racer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
None
I went total budget route and potentially removed a scrape point by replacing the muffler with a straight pipe. The two existing resonators keep the exhaust sound from being annoying. I don’t miss the muffler, the sound is present but subdued. And I probably gained 0.0001 seconds in the quarter mile by adding lightness..

Dick

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Juliet Tango Romeo
Occupation
I went total budget route and potentially removed a scrape point by replacing the muffler with a straight pipe. The two existing resonators keep the exhaust sound from being annoying. I don’t miss the muffler, the sound is present but subdued. And I probably gained 0.0001 seconds in the quarter mile by adding lightness..
Sounds like you accomplished the same thing everyone else has and saved $1,100. That buys alot of whisky and cigars. ;) đź‘Ť

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
New to this Jeep. Not new to modifications on cars. In the car world I reside in, unless you're doing headers back plus a custom dyno tune there isn't anything to be had that is worth the cost of "performance" exhausts. You're paying for noise. Don't fool yourself. Nothing wrong with paying for some noise if you want it. To go further, if someone enters the one particular forum I'm on talking about their new exhaust and a butt dyno, well, it doesn't go well.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a question for Jeep "engineers". There's probably several reasons they deem legitimate why they've programmed the ECM to this power level that make absolutely no sense to end users.
Power is a function of torque and RPM.

The Challenger's higher HP engine is designed to make peak torque higher up in the rev range. So it makes more power. Power = force (torque) x speed (RPM)

It's a matter of tuning the engine to its intended use.

Does anyone really think an engine that is even more high strung AND MAKES LESS POWER at lower revs in exchange for more power at higher revs is a good thing in a Gladiator?

People complain that they have to rev it to get it to move as it is. Tuning this engine via traditional methods (cam, induction, exhaust) would only amplify this.

The joy of turbos is that they increase hp by boosting torque. So you end up with more power at low RPM. Which is how most people prefer to run their cars. Especially fat, bad handling trucks.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
I got the best deal on my exhaust upgrade, I cut it off just after the resonator and slipped on a 90 deg turndown. Great sound, less weight, no issues, and only $20 in parts. HP gains meet or exceed all the other kits out there on the market :rock:
Sponsored