JT - Jeep must haves from Harbor Freight

Cobraj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
computer field service
thanks for the advice, I like harbor Freight. Had good luck with the tools I get, but I am a weekend warrior so HF works out best for me!
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I haven’t gotten any yet but really looking at the Pelican box knockoffs for cheap.
I love browsing too, and have many little things I’ve picked up, though I try to read some quick reviews just to make sure that specific item isn’t junk.
Nowadays seems no more junky than most brands, which are also all made in China :puke:
I will say I recently got turned onto Tekton tools. Their simple looking vise/locking pliers are awesome and comfortable, love how you can unlock by squeezing the lever (had kobalt pair that doesn’t work now, there was a non-captive metal block in the locking mechanism that fell out.. and you had to “pull” the lever out to unlock them, which is awkward and harder to do.) The pliers and sockets I got are great, not expensive, and not all China.
“At this time, about 75% of our current product lineup is made in Taiwan, 20% in the United States, 3% in China, and about 2% across several other countries.”

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
I haven’t gotten any yet but really looking at the Pelican box knockoffs for cheap.
I love browsing too, and have many little things I’ve picked up, though I try to read some quick reviews just to make sure that specific item isn’t junk.
Nowadays seems no more junky than most brands, which are also all made in China :puke:
I will say I recently got turned onto Tekton tools. Their simple looking vise/locking pliers are awesome and comfortable, love how you can unlock by squeezing the lever (had kobalt pair that doesn’t work now, there was a non-captive metal block in the locking mechanism that fell out.. and you had to “pull” the lever out to unlock them, which is awkward and harder to do.) The pliers and sockets I got are great, not expensive, and not all China.
“At this time, about 75% of our current product lineup is made in Taiwan, 20% in the United States, 3% in China, and about 2% across several other countries.”

I use the knockoff Pelican cases to transport my goggles and transmitter for my fpv drone, and use one as a range case for my handguns.

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Usually will get some hand tools there. Picked up a set of deep sockets to install a leveling kit this weekend. Bought a Predator 3500 generator from them also. Seemed to have good reviews. Only need it when we lose power, 3-4 times a year.

Haven't bought any power tools from them. They may work as good as other name brand ones but they are awfully cheap looking.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
I have all three sizes of the Pittsburgh swivel ratchets (Green handle).

They are great for hard to reach and off center bolts. Also like that you can break a bolt and then use the ratchet as a nut driver.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
You get what you pay for. I do use some HF stuff but treat it as potential one-time use. I have several jacks but I never trust them and use multiple redundancies.
What jacks would you recommend? it is very hard to find anything that is not made in China and very similar to the ones sold at HF.

USMC32GTR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Skyline GTR, 2021 JT Rubicon 6MT
Occupation
Analyst
What jacks would you recommend? it is very hard to find anything that is not made in China and very similar to the ones sold at HF.
When mine were recalled I bought a set of Esco’s to replace them. But I’m not sure yet if they are tall enough for a Jeep. I use them for my car.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I've gotten some decent stuff there before but things I have gotten there that suck: hammer drill, the cheap 1/2 drive torque wrench (the 1/4" and 3/8" have been worth it so far), knock off Dremel tool, wood clamps have no grip or strength...I'm sure there are some others.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When mine were recalled I bought a set of Esco’s to replace them. But I’m not sure yet if they are tall enough for a Jeep. I use them for my car.
I was referring to jacks not jack stands. Curious what others use as almost everything is made in China and very similar to what HF sells unless you spend 10X the cost.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Pelican knockoffs are pretty great, I bought one sized to take 4-6 pistols to the range. Easy to meet California transport laws (locked container). I have a couple of big real Pelicans at work, the HF units seem a bargain in comparison for the same feel of quality.

Sponsored

USMC32GTR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Skyline GTR, 2021 JT Rubicon 6MT
Occupation
Analyst
I was referring to jacks not jack stands. Curious what others use as almost everything is made in China and very similar to what HF sells unless you spend 10X the cost.
Ah, my fault. I have 3 HF floor jacks but I have found the same as you that most are Chinese and the very few you find that aren’t are astronomically expensive. So for now I use the HF stuff but I never depend on it and I use jack stands + wheels under the vehicle as a backup + a set of ramps as backups under the vehicle as well. Eventually I do want to find a USA or German floor jack and spend the big bucks but this is working ok for now but it makes me cringe buying these Chinese ones.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I've gotten some decent stuff there before but things I have gotten there that suck: hammer drill, the cheap 1/2 drive torque wrench (the 1/4" and 3/8" have been worth it so far), knock off Dremel tool, wood clamps have no grip or strength...I'm sure there are some others.
I wonder what the overall consensus is on Hercules tools. I know my dual compound miter saw is quality... Does the Hercules 20v power tools hold up and compare with say De Walt. I know the ads say they do. But I don’t rightly know, being I never used any.

Still mulling that Badlands winch for the JTR. I have seen reviews on the net and none are really negative.

Those ICON tool chests seem nice too.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I wonder what the overall consensus is on Hercules tools. I know my dual compound miter saw is quality... Does the Hercules 20v power tools hold up and compare with say De Walt. I know the ads say they do. But I don’t rightly know, being I never used any.

Still mulling that Badlands winch for the JTR. I have seen reviews on the net and none are really negative.

Those ICON tool chests seem nice too.
I have a general rule.... if you're buying something (Winch) that you need to DEPEND on, don't go on the cheap and I wouldn't get it from HF.

The last thing I want when winching out of a situation is for it to crap out on me because it's not reliable.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are several videos on YouTube showing the HF winch, it appears to have pretty substantial gears and internal parts, sadly with everything else regardless of brand most are made in China with very similar parts, unless you are willing to spend many times more.

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Specific to the JT, the bolts mounting the front seats to the floor are torx head bolts. To remove these (for example mounting an air compressor under the passenger seat), you need an E12 torx socket. HF sells a set of torx sockets for $10.
I used a 10mm 6 point this morning to remove those bolts. No issue, and no rounding off.
Sponsored