First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
"If Toyota would just bring the HiLux or the Land Cruiser 70 series here" I have been saying that for years.

Don't get me wrong, I love my JTR, but a twin turbo V8 Diesel, solid axle front and rear with a manual transmission. . . .
Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I was looking at a Taco v Gladiator when I bought in 2022 so mine is from the shopping perspective last year. Those were the last two I was down to. Drove them both and researched both.

A couple major reasons made me get Gladiator. Taco engine was blah on acceleration. The interior of the Taco was blah and the driver seat position was ughhh. It also did not tow as much. And lastly the Toyota salesman was an a** which tied the bow. I called the Jeep dealer the next day. Have been happy ever since. I have a 2011 FJ Cruiser also and am happy with that also. It just passed 100K miles and is an awesome vehicle! I wish people would stop trying to buy it from us. I do use myGladiator as my daily driver (40 miles round trip daily) and find it extremely nice on the highway.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
"If Toyota would just bring the HiLux or the Land Cruiser 70 series here" I have been saying that for years.

Don't get me wrong, I love my JTR, but a twin turbo V8 Diesel, solid axle front and rear with a manual transmission. . . .
Diesel mid size are dieing off , will never happen. You know you can just import one yourself though

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Jeep got me hooked at the interior already and what can I say,... aftermarket
Jeep Gladiator JT v. Taco: Which is objectively built better? 2021 Gladiator vs 2021 Tacoma comparison review by owner pxl_20220528_211337272-3-
This is AWESOME! $2300.00. Heck the Alpine head unit is more than that. Of course the question is how good will it be, reliability etc. Seems like Insane Audio is having a fair amount of issues even with the new 4001 model. This one doesn't list much info on their site either.

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Diesel mid size are dieing off , will never happen. You know you can just import one yourself though
I know, I know. I looked into importing one before the JT, had a hard time swallow the idea of $25-35k for a 25 year old vehicle. I was looking for a mint condition one to replace my 87 FJ60. Unicorns.

jerjon

First Name
JimmyJones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, LJ, TJ, SuperTrooper
Occupation
Magician

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
But Burritos explode when you're not expecting.. and then it's off to the toilet..walking..rather rolling funny
Yes they do! I like the challenge.

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
This is AWESOME! $2300.00. Heck the Alpine head unit is more than that. Of course the question is how good will it be, reliability etc. Seems like Insane Audio is having a fair amount of issues even with the new 4001 model. This one doesn't list much info on their site either.
They have a forum for their devices also, I reckon investigating there is the best...
Don't know too much... the guys with the k1 uniot are pretty happy with them..., I will take the risk if the importer gets it because then I have at least one year of no issues, and I dont mind, still have the original parts then if something does not work as I want.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
I went from a built 2013 taco to a 2020 gladiator overland.

The comparison just isn't fair: the taco is fundamentally a 2006 design for a mid size, low price work truck; the gladiator was designed for the off-road enthusiast and jeep lifestyler to have a cool pickup.

Frames: floppy C channel vs heavy box

Suspension: D44 solid axles front and back on coils and links vs an on-road IFS with an outdated leaf sprung rear, and tiny, fragile, diffs at both ends.

Milage: LoLWut? put 33s and some camping gear in either truck and its 12-14 MPG real world. 10 if you have a trailer.

29" tires on stock jeep axles? I question his judgement.

Building them: Aftermarket parts support is great for both trucks. Having built both, the taco needs a shitload of money and fab time to keep up with an "off the lot" gladiator" Throw 33s on the gladiator and it's easy mode for stuff that challenges heavily modified tacos. Add in skids, sliders and bumpers to avoid body damage and the only real limit is breakover angle and lack of lockers unless you upgrade or buy the Rubi.

Cost: A factory rubicon will do far more than a TRD edition taco, even after you spent 10+ grand on upgrades for the taco, so dollars per offroad capability, jeep wins. The taco in his video is probably a 80K build (about 40 for the truck, and another 40 in mods).

Living with it: jeep top and doors come off, taco has an interior from 2016. Modify your taco to keep up with a gladiator, and it will drive like a built offroader. My wife has a stock overland gladiator she likes; she hated my taco and my gladiator.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I shopped the Tacoma and Gladiator side by side and his points ring true to some degree with my own findings. While the Tacoma bests the Gladiator in longevity, it does so as it’s been relatively unchanged since 2006 with minor upgrades and changes. If the use case is on-road 90% of the time with incidental off-road activity you’ll be satisfied with either.

What tipped the scales for me toward the Gladiator was the availability of a Diesel engine In the US market.

Griff21

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE, 1978 CJ5, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Even if you compare MPGs that's subjective as well due to gearing etc.

I get better MPGs on 37s than my friend gets in her Tacoma that's stock with the passenger tires. I chalk it up to the 4.10 gearing and a lighter foot lol.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
The difference between the JT and the Taco...

pxl_20220528_211337272-3-jpg.jpg

And I've owned a lot of vehicles in my lifetime and I can tell you that a Tacoma is not getting the thumbs up and attention that a Gladiator gets. Not close.

Drive what you want.
I’ve never been much of an interior color brat, but I love that light interior on these trucks. It completely enhances the vibe of the vehicle. I wish mine had it.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Surprised to see all the hate on this video. I think it was very informative and a much better comparison video than most. I wouldn't care which he's comparing if he does this good of a job. I actually didn't know the info on the Tacoma frame vs everyone else.
I kind of wish he talked a bit more about the driving position. This was the main reason I didn't get a Tacoma.
Another thing, I'm assuming the Tacoma engine will go more miles, but luckily almost all manufactures engines (with proper maintenance) can go 200k+ without many issues. I'll be happy if my Gladiator can do it.....
Sponsored