First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
K&N filters are a joke. Sure, over MANY years you save a little money, but is it worth the hassle and the danger? People constantly over-oil them and get oil on the sensors downstream. But if you under-oil it, then you'll seriously reduce their already poor dirt-trapping ability. Every vehicle with a K&N that I've worked on is full of greasy dirt in the intake, and the paper filter intakes are clean.

In the 70s and 80s, we saw performance gains compared to crappy and too-small filters. Now they gain nothing--and risk a lot.

Old Tex

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I use the AFe drop in dry filter. I used one on my Tacoma for 6 years and the intake stayed clean for 119,000 miles.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I use the AFe drop in dry filter. I used one on my Tacoma for 6 years and the intake stayed clean for 119,000 miles.
I use one of their dry panel filters in my M2. Good flow AND filtration.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I don't have an opinion on those washable dry filters, but I think it's just fine to stay with OEM. I'm completely certain that aftermarket filters don't improve anything, and the extra small cost of replacing filters is worth the peace of mind to me.

OP
OP
Thedude42

Thedude42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport S
ok thanks so much for the information looks like I will just stick with the oem one for now

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
It's funny how everyone shits on K&N filters. Every single car forum I'm on, same story. It's to the point where the people chiming in on them haven't actually tried their products in 10+ years.
I've had nothing but good experiences on my cars and bikes with K&N filters. But then I live in Socal where the filter doesn't get a lot of work on the daily.
On my NSX the filters made it so I could actually hear the blowoff valves on my Turbos which was super nice. On my RR I noticed better sound and about a 1/2s gain from 0-60. On my bikes (I don't always use K&N cause they're not available) filters usually make a difference in sounds and tiny bit in power.

Factory filters are usually way too restrictive. On a some cars (like AMGs) there are a set of filters meant to reduce emissions in addition to intake filters which people usually just throw away for a 20HP gain right off the top.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I've been using them for nearly 40 years. I have them in two bikes right now. They used to do something, and factory filters used to be garbage. We shit on them because now factory filters are excellent and K&N is still the same thing I used in the 70s. For most cars, K&N flows no better, and sometimes worst. Let's not bring 700HP cars into a discussion about trucks, also.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have used K&N drop in filters in the past on a couple of vehicles and really found them to meh at best.

Pre EFI engines, I can see where they make a difference. Modern EFI vehicle, you get a mild gain until the fuel trim map learning adjust for it and then it is more placebo affect perception than anything else. Unless you are running a aftermarket tune, I think they are not well suited for daily drivers. Same could said for CAI's systems also.

I have seen the carnage pictures/videos of neglected or improperly maintained filters like the K&N. I do not put much weight against the product as those end users probably would have neglected a OEM filter maintenance also.

Lastly, it comes down to what someone valuesmore , effective filtration or air flow?

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Using a brand new K&N factory oiled filter on a Harley I used to have, you could clearly see an oil and dirt trail leading down into the carburetor. I also work around a lot of Cummins diesels. Owners love those K&N's for god knows why. I don't ever think I've seen an intake tube on the back of the filter that wasn't dusted up. I'll never own an oiled filter.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I used one in my 2000 TJ and did not take long to realize they were junk...overpriced...snake oil.

Since then I have stuck with OEM or "OEMlike" aftermarket. Change them every oil change.

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've used them for years, oil and air both and have had no issues, I know years ago smaller engines, esp carburated smaller engines did benefit from the increased airflow, less impactful on a v8.

The Cummins guys hate them but I had no issues with mine, the desert racers used to be exclusively K&N but there are more options now so I'm sure some have .over on

I bought one for my glad and some oil filters but haven't installed anything yet. I'll be keeping my eyes open for oily dust downstream for sure...

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Funny this thread came up again.
If you don't follow "Project Farm" on youtube you really should.
He did a review of filters and I think what you'll learn will surprise you no matter which side of the K&N debate you're on.
Here's the video:

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
Have you looked at the factory air filter??? I don't know how you would improve on it. Nice spaced deep pleats.
Sponsored