Lady ran a red light

Totaled?

• Total voters

ckgjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max ToE
So here is a question I am curious about.
lets aay the OP, or anybody, has a bunch of aftermarket accessoreis. Say bumper, topper, tent, electrical stuff, etc. and lets say the insurance decides to total and cash out. How does, and can, the owner remove said upgrades before the vehicle goes away? Because all that extra stuff could translate to tens of thousands extra ( even just a canopy could be 4K), with a winch easy 2500, etc…

that would be my biggest concern because most insurance companies totally ignore any and all aftermarket stuff despite how much it costs or even how much it saved a vehicle - like a front bumper saving a total from hitting a deer.

anybody know how that works, especially if insurance tows your vehicle to a impound lot somewhere?
if you are going through your insurance company you may not get reimbursed for add ons...depends on your policy and or if you have endorsements covering after market add ons...if you are claiming with the at fault company you should get reimbursed for add ones and some parts may be pro rated
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So here is a question I am curious about.
lets aay the OP, or anybody, has a bunch of aftermarket accessoreis. Say bumper, topper, tent, electrical stuff, etc. and lets say the insurance decides to total and cash out. How does, and can, the owner remove said upgrades before the vehicle goes away? Because all that extra stuff could translate to tens of thousands extra ( even just a canopy could be 4K), with a winch easy 2500, etc…

that would be my biggest concern because most insurance companies totally ignore any and all aftermarket stuff despite how much it costs or even how much it saved a vehicle - like a front bumper saving a total from hitting a deer.

anybody know how that works, especially if insurance tows your vehicle to a impound lot somewhere?
Read your policy - some will cover accessories to a certain dollar amount, some will not cover any, and some will cover if you pay a bit extra and name the accessories and prices in a list, it varies. A good agent will answer that one - but read the policy. Often you can cover accessories with a small fee, it depends.

As far as removing - once the insurance company has seen the vehicle and made an offer - they own that stuff and you can't remove it. If you want to keep it you must remove it before they assess or evaluate it. Or - let them know "bumper and winch are mine and don't stay on the vehicle". You must be clear on that as once they've seen it, their report will include what they see.

I've worked for a shop that did the towing and impounding and storing and have enough accidents (ADHD people are extremely accident prone and total a lot of vehicles in some cases)

My company actually offered me thousands over the best book value on my Grand Cherokee because of the care and accessories, I was surprised and impressed. The guy (adjuster) told me flat out it was the car it had, and all of the accessories that caught his eye.

My agent says keep track of accessories, make a list, keep receipts and send them to him and keep him current on any changes.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Read your policy - some will cover accessories to a certain dollar amount, some will not cover any, and some will cover if you pay a bit extra and name the accessories and prices in a list, it varies. A good agent will answer that one - but read the policy. Often you can cover accessories with a small fee, it depends.

As far as removing - once the insurance company has seen the vehicle and made an offer - they own that stuff and you can't remove it. If you want to keep it you must remove it before they assess or evaluate it. Or - let them know "bumper and winch are mine and don't stay on the vehicle". You must be clear on that as once they've seen it, their report will include what they see.

I've worked for a shop that did the towing and impounding and storing and have enough accidents (ADHD people are extremely accident prone and total a lot of vehicles in some cases)

My company actually offered me thousands over the best book value on my Grand Cherokee because of the care and accessories, I was surprised and impressed. The guy (adjuster) told me flat out it was the car it had, and all of the accessories that caught his eye.

My agent says keep track of accessories, make a list, keep receipts and send them to him and keep him current on any changes.
usaa already told me many times they dont cover any aftermarket stuff at all. :-/

guess if it ever happens I would need to get busy removing things before an adjuster looks at it

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Its totaled, both front frame horns are swayed to the passenger side. Look at Copart, doesn't take much for the JTs to get totaled out.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
It's far better in Iowa - A car is considered a total loss in Iowa when the cost of repairs plus the salvage value is at least 70% of the vehicle's actual cash value. They JUST raised it in the last year! It was 50% - looks to me like some industry lobbyists got to them!

Now in Iowa, if it's FMV is $46,000 and salvage is $10,000 they can spend $22,200

In states with the 100% law, if the vehicle is worth $46,000 and the salvage value is $10,000 they could spend $36,000 to fix it. That's crazy, IMO.
For KY repair exceeds seventy-five percent (75%) of the retail value of the vehicle, as set forth in a current edition of the National Automobile Dealer's Association price guide (excluding cost to re-install airbags, and excluding hail damage). That is the summary from the statute on getting salvage title. So for a $45k JT the insurance company would have to total it at $33,750.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jwrigh64

jwrigh64

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7
I had the vehicle delivered to my house from tow company since Service King wasn’t open on Sunday. Then I took most of the parts off that I could before it goes in for appraisal (today).

Just heard back from dealer I originally ordered from and they are saying 5-6 month wait for orders. 😕They have a very similar vehicle on the lot with black hardtop and clothe seats. Wonder if I can talk appraiser into letting me switch hardtop and wheels out if I bought this one (if totaled) and add some Katzkin leather.

Definitely going to take a loss. Might consider Powerwagon.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Definitely going to take a loss.
Under no circumstances should you accept this... if you do, you are allowing the at-fault party to rob you. Their insurance is supposed to make you whole...

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had a kid hit me last May ... took 2 months to get my rig back. So when you're quoted 4-5 months... they aren't joking. I would push for a total and move on.

stampedingTurtles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
I had the vehicle delivered to my house from tow company since Service King wasn’t open on Sunday. Then I took most of the parts off that I could before it goes in for appraisal (today).

Just heard back from dealer I originally ordered from and they are saying 5-6 month wait for orders. 😕They have a very similar vehicle on the lot with black hardtop and clothe seats. Wonder if I can talk appraiser into letting me switch hardtop and wheels out if I bought this one (if totaled) and add some Katzkin leather.
I'm assuming you don't have a soft top for your Jeep?

As far as the wheels go, do you still have the original wheels to swap back on? The wheels didn't take any damage in the accident (I would give both front wheels a very thorough inspection)

Sponsored

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
Mine is at $15000. Front end hit at 25 mph. Driver was drunk at 1:00 pm and turned right in front of me. One of the front stubs for the bumper was slightly bent, but fixable. Not quite as bad as yours though. I'll be at 3 months by the time they are done. They said a LCA was on backorder, but I pushed them and they got one from Quadratect that was in stock. OEM. Good luck and glad you're OK.
Jeep Gladiator Lady ran a red light 2022-02-03 13.55.32
Jeep Gladiator Lady ran a red light 2022-02-03 13.55.19

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Mine is at $15000. Front end hit at 25 mph. Driver was drunk at 1:00 pm and turned right in front of me. One of the front stubs for the bumper was slightly bent, but fixable. Not quite as bad as yours though. I'll be at 3 months by the time they are done. They said a LCA was on backorder, but I pushed them and they got one from Quadratect that was in stock. OEM. Good luck and glad you're OK.
YOU WON!
Sorry about your truck though.

JoeInOh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Model 3 & 2022 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/paramedic

Definitely going to take a loss. Might consider Powerwagon.
Glad to hear that everyone was ok in this accident - could have been way worse.

Oddly, I was just looking at steelies today for the Gobi I have on order, your wheel setup looks great.

As an FYI, I ordered on 3/8, and as of today (almost a full month), I am still in the "scheduling "phase of the 12-16 week delivery time.

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
YOU WON!
Sorry about your truck though.
Yeah I did, but small consolation. Unfortunately she only had state minimum insurance, $5,000, BUT we both have Progressive so they are making me whole. Taking the opportunity to make some upgrades using credit from parts not used (steel bumper instead of replacing the plastic). I really was hoping it could be fixed because I love my Gobi, But the OP looks better off with a new rig.
Sponsored