Leaking axle seal?

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Is it leaking when it warms up while driving, or leaking when it cools down while sitting?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is it leaking when it warms up while driving, or leaking when it cools down while sitting?
In 40+ years never saw one actually "leak" when sitting. Fluid run down, gather and drip, yes, but not actually leak. Cool hypoid lube is also fairly thick compared to warm fluid getting kicked around by a spinning ring gear.
We've pretty much covered it in multiple threads hundreds of posts.

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In 40+ years never saw one actually "leak" when sitting. Fluid run down, gather and drip, yes, but not actually leak. Cool hypoid lube is also fairly thick compared to warm fluid getting kicked around by a spinning ring gear.
We've pretty much covered it in multiple threads hundreds of posts.
Cool thanks

Jeep_willysJT

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Got mine back today. A month to the date. I'll be checking that wheel well every so often and cross my fingers. Had the 2 inch mopar lift kit installed while it was there as well.

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Anyone have repair and then have it leak again? I had it repaired at 750 miles, now 1250 miles and on long trips (70 plus miles) I get some residual axle fluid on the bottom of the brake shield again. Could this be residual from the repair as its not pooling in the rim like it was, or is it most likely beginning again? Should I degrease it at the car wash with pressure washer and then recheck in a bit?

Sponsored

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone have repair and then have it leak again? I had it repaired at 750 miles, now 1250 miles and on long trips (70 plus miles) I get some residual axle fluid on the bottom of the brake shield again. Could this be residual from the repair as its not pooling in the rim like it was, or is it most likely beginning again? Should I degrease it at the car wash with pressure washer and then recheck in a bit?
Yes, Maybe,Yes or do what I did and some wd-40 and a rag to clean the residual axle fluid to be able to better monitor it.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Yes, I have. Initially they blamed the leak on leftover oil seaping into my parking brake shoes. But after they replaced the parking brake shoes the leak appeared again. My JT is at the dealer right now getting the entire rear axle assembly replaced ( 68422837AF - not just the right rear side this time)

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 1634662859402

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Yes, I have. Initially they blamed the leak on leftover oil seaping into my parking brake shoes. But after they replaced the parking brake shoes the leak appeared again. My JT is at the dealer right now getting the entire rear axle assembly replaced ( 68422837AF - not just the right rear side this time)

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 1634662859402
The housing and all??? Wow

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
yep...repaired back in april at 1390 miles and leaked again a few thousand later starting around 3,500. I thought it was residual fluid seepage at first as well....but after cleaning the area at least three times it just kept returning. Been waiting a month now for the replacement part to come in, and it just did yesterday. Of course now they can't get me in for another two weeks to do the repair. This current wait of a month for the part to come in is with JeepCares helping. I plan to ask them to ensure the area is absolutely spotlessly clean this time, and to inspect the pads for any contamination.

Sponsored

Blakedpotato

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy’s, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Drill Operator
well I’ve joined the club. Noticed a leak (right rear axles) and dropped it at the dealer a month ago. Took 3 weeks to get the axles assembly. Had it for 3 days before it started leaking again. Going back to the dealer this Friday.
MDH: 12/20
Miles when I noticed the leak: 12.5k

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I am still wondering if the issue is the housing itself...as in the right side bored ot a few thousandths too large or something.
My dad had a dowel machine in his cabinet shop that bored 2 holes at once. Either the chuck for 1 was bad or the bit was bent or one bit was slightly larger, as one dowel was slightly loose in hole. I like your theory.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
The housing and all??? Wow
Yes that’s correct:) I think I’m the first one who’s gone thru this full housing replacement. Just got my Jeep back from the dealer earlier this evening. It took less than 2 days for the swap.

So far it seems like everything was put back together properly. Braking feels a bit different with all brand new rear brake/parking brake shoes.

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
4662 miles and leaking...

Calling in the morning.
Sponsored