Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was ordered 8/9 and checked with dealer today. I'm told it was shipped but lost by UPS and reordered today. We shall see.
Lost stuff is unfortunately becoming more common. Someone shipped an alternator to me over a month ago for restoration. Never arrived, no one knows where it is.
Shippers are stretched and stressed. The last few items we have received were delivered by trainees in their own vehicles.
Watch out come the holidays! May want to start shipping out presents right now.
Sponsored

MKC JT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired
Lost stuff is unfortunately becoming more common. Someone shipped an alternator to me over a month ago for restoration. Never arrived, no one knows where it is.
Shippers are stretched and stressed. The last few items we have received were delivered by trainees in their own vehicles.
Agreed. Although this is the first time I've had this issue and never with UPS or FedEx. No mail delivery where we live (run to the PO)Also not the first time I've heard that axles have been lost.

I have a great service dept. so don't doubt them and as long as I can keep driving I'm good.

elbluemen

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021
Occupation
Engineer
2021 Willys, built Dec 2020. Noticed leak at around 12k miles. Took to dealership mid August and have been waiting for parts since with no ETA after 2 months. Took it in for oil change early last week and fluid has made it to brakes, dealer advised to get with Jeep Wave since it’s become a safety issue and they did not have loaners but that we could get a rental through Jeep. Called Jeep Wave soon after and were advised they would get back to us within a couple days with a resolution. Didn’t hear back so after a few calls and a week later finally got a hold of rep and got approval to rent a car, will have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed when repairs are done on the Gladiator which at this point we dont know how long that will take.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
2021 Willys, built Dec 2020. Noticed leak at around 12k miles. Took to dealership mid August and have been waiting for parts since with no ETA after 2 months. Took it in for oil change early last week and fluid has made it to brakes, dealer advised to get with Jeep Wave since it’s become a safety issue and they did not have loaners but that we could get a rental through Jeep. Called Jeep Wave soon after and were advised they would get back to us within a couple days with a resolution. Didn’t hear back so after a few calls and a week later finally got a hold of rep and got approval to rent a car, will have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed when repairs are done on the Gladiator which at this point we dont know how long that will take.
If me, I would not take that deal to pay out of my own pocket with the promise of reimbursement later.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
These aren't that difficult to see what's going on so I have some trouble understanding the lack of a solution at this point. There are only so many things to look at.
I'd be checking the axle tube or housing where the seal fits - is it perfectly round? Is it the correct size for the seal? Will the seal establish a good bond to the axle, is there enough surface area making contact seal to axle tube?
Are the axles lacking any runout or imperfections on the seal surface? Are the seals being used preloaded with a spring?
Is the leak between the seal lip and axle, or between seal shell and axle tube?
I really wish you could inspect one of these as well! As you said there are only so many things this could be. I can't imagine it would take an experienced person more than a few hours to go over it looking for defects/failures and taking some precision measurements to determine if there are any out of spec parts.

So far I don't have any confidence that FCA is actually investigating the root cause....and are continuing to toss parts at it when the problem very well could be the housing itself (specifically on the right side) and not the shaft assembly. My second replacement is now scheduled for 11/1 (hopefully they don't lose the axle shaft or use it on someone elses before then...as it took over a month to get the part even with jeep cares "helping"). I'm just glad I don't drive much at the moment, and that it is not the sort of issue that will leave me stranded.

Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
One has to wonder.................
I STILL really wish that I could get my hands on one of these.

No reason almost any of these can't be driven as long as things are watched and it's understood that if fluid does get to the brakes, emergency braking could be impacted. Otherwise, there's no reason to not drive these unless the shop tore things apart, then decided what to order, and it's still apart. Me - I'd probably pay them 100 bucks to button it back up and let me drive it until the parts came in. Fortunately, mine is a 2020 with no leak (great, now where's some real wood to knock on)

I'd love to see one and take some measurements and do some investigating, forensics, to see just what's going on........

This is an older one, much worse leak. Fluid totally covered the parking brake and was getting to the others, but not quite.

IMG_20201011_141633.jpg

Axle checked out great - no runout, no scarring, size was perfect, bearing had broken and seal was worn.
IMG_20201011_154604.jpg

Housing was also fine - unsure why the outer part of the bearing actually broke but a small flange part of the outer "race" had snapped off. Didn't impact the bearing itself. Perhaps a shock like hitting a bad pot hole or something.
IMG_20201011_143723.jpg

IMG_20201011_143657.jpg

These aren't that difficult to see what's going on so I have some trouble understanding the lack of a solution at this point. There are only so many things to look at.
I'd be checking the axle tube or housing where the seal fits - is it perfectly round? Is it the correct size for the seal? Will the seal establish a good bond to the axle, is there enough surface area making contact seal to axle tube?
Are the axles lacking any runout or imperfections on the seal surface? Are the seals being used preloaded with a spring?
Is the leak between the seal lip and axle, or between seal shell and axle tube?
Yep, lots of parts. The closest(not really, lol) experience weekend pm was when I changed wheel bearings,
Agreed. Although this is the first time I've had this issue and never with UPS or FedEx. No mail delivery where we live (run to the PO)Also not the first time I've heard that axles have been lost.

I have a great service dept. so don't doubt them and as long as I can keep driving I'm good.
Me too. Glad I still have the G. I have been checking the leak though. it has not gotten worst. I have told the service advisor about the possibility of brake pads being soa
I really wish you could inspect one of these as well! As you said there are only so many things this could be. I can't imagine it would take an experienced person more than a few hours to go over it looking for defects/failures and taking some precision measurements to determine if there are any out of spec parts.

So far I don't have any confidence that FCA is actually investigating the root cause....and are continuing to toss parts at it when the problem very well could be the housing itself (specifically on the right side) and not the shaft assembly. My second replacement is now scheduled for 11/1 (hopefully they don't lose the axle shaft or use it on someone elses before then...as it took over a month to get the part even with jeep cares "helping"). I'm just glad I don't drive much at the moment, and that it is not the sort of issue that will leave me stranded.
This is similar to defective rv Dometic toilets. I believe it started around yr 2018 and still affected yr 2020 rv. My 2020 travel trailer had a urine smell co.ing from the toilet. I googgled it and found out Dometic's solution was to send owners replacement units or offer a toilet upgrade. Needless to say, it must have taken them 2-3 years to figure out sending a whole toilet was very expensive! They are now just sending seal kits.
We will probably be in same predicament- replace the whole axle. If it leaks again, replace the axle again. 3x leak- start changing worn out parts. Ooops.. before you know it your factory warranty is over.
I like my G a LOT, but if it has to go back and forth to the shop for repairs I'd probably move on to another truck, a RAM perhaps.
Hey FCA, just send a defective axle to shadow papa and maybe, just maybe, he could find the root cause of this issue. Lol.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
30 year UPS driver here. This Christmas is going to be a nightmare. Buy early.

Richard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500 Rebel, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Talked to my service department on Saturday and they pulled it in the shop looked it over and drove it. Told me it’s ok to drive for now. Part had a tracking number 10/13 but never shipped and nobody knows where it went. I brought it home and this morning pulled the passenger side wheel, brake caliper, and rotor off. Fairly oily on parking brake shoes and brake pads. You can see where the outer seal has pulled away but I couldn’t see any oil there. Anyway I put it back together and drove it some. It’s not making any noise at all like it was when I parked it and quit driving it back on 10-6. Here’s a couple pictures I snapped.

1202FDA8-0B6E-4245-8011-B504FCED6602.jpeg

F9B54145-A4A1-4725-A3FB-301C08F51504.jpeg

8503E2AD-5CA4-4489-84D8-99E5DE69A81E.jpeg

4E84EEF3-9DC0-41F5-96D9-603CA07C99AF.jpeg

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
Just had my axle finally replaced today. Dealer diagnosed leak and ordered replacement 9/9/21. I have been driving it during the wait. I'll be keeping an eye on it. 9750 miles on odometer at time of repair.

emcdonald

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude, 2021 Gladiator Diesel Sport S
Occupation
Construction
My 2021 Sport S ecodiesel gladiator (built 10/2020) was into the dealership for service a few weeks ago. They did an oil change/ tire rotation under the jeep wave plan. The didn't mention any issues when i picked up the truck. Last night I was installing aftermarket wheels and tires. I noticed the inside of my front passenger wheel was black from grease when i took it off. when i got around to the rear passenger wheel i noticed some grease as well. Drove the truck home last night and now there is already grease on Rear Passenger wheel. I called the dealership frustrated this morning because this wasn't brought up 2000 miles ago when they had the wheels off. I have a service appointment set of for 11/9. I am stopping by today to have them inspect it and so they can get parts ordered. We will see how this goes... This will be the jeeps 2nd major warranty issue in the last year. I had the starter replaced with 300 miles on the truck.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 Sport S ecodiesel gladiator (built 10/2020) was into the dealership for service a few weeks ago. They did an oil change/ tire rotation under the jeep wave plan. The didn't mention any issues when i picked up the truck. Last night I was installing aftermarket wheels and tires. I noticed the inside of my front passenger wheel was black from grease when i took it off. when i got around to the rear passenger wheel i noticed some grease as well. Drove the truck home last night and now there is already grease on Rear Passenger wheel. I called the dealership frustrated this morning because this wasn't brought up 2000 miles ago when they had the wheels off. I have a service appointment set of for 11/9. I am stopping by today to have them inspect it and so they can get parts ordered. We will see how this goes... This will be the jeeps 2nd major warranty issue in the last year. I had the starter replaced with 300 miles on the truck.
The big tell in your case was the lube on the FRONT wheel - so you know it was leaking when they had it off for rotation.

I have to wonder - does any dealer shop besides the one I go to send you a VIDEO of their inspection and them actually draining the oil??
I took my JT in a couple of months ago for my final wave oil change and tire rotation. I waited on it. While I was there I got a text with a link to a video. It showed the tech's face pointing to the draining oil, showed him checking the brake pads front and rear, tire tread and a couple of other things proving he was under there taking a look at things. I know it was him because he later came out and asked me about something else I can't recall now. I recognized him from the video - and knew it was my truck by my tires, etc.
Then the next day I took my wife's Jeep in for a wave service - I received a text with a link to a video showing the tech checking the brakes, pointing to the oil draining out, checking tires and other stuff...............
I had video proof they had done the oil change and actually looked at the brakes and such.
I didn't know if that was a Jeep policy or something they cooked up themselves - I'd never doubted that they did the oil changes - I can tell if something's touched or not - but sometimes wondered - do they REALLY do some of those checks? Yeah, there's a video of them measuring my brakes.
That's not proof that they always look at EVERYTHING, it wasn't a 10 minute video of all aspects of any inspection or all the work, but still - it was something.

emcdonald

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude, 2021 Gladiator Diesel Sport S
Occupation
Construction
The big tell in your case was the lube on the FRONT wheel - so you know it was leaking when they had it off for rotation.

I have to wonder - does any dealer shop besides the one I go to send you a VIDEO of their inspection and them actually draining the oil??
I took my JT in a couple of months ago for my final wave oil change and tire rotation. I waited on it. While I was there I got a text with a link to a video. It showed the tech's face pointing to the draining oil, showed him checking the brake pads front and rear, tire tread and a couple of other things proving he was under there taking a look at things. I know it was him because he later came out and asked me about something else I can't recall now. I recognized him from the video - and knew it was my truck by my tires, etc.
Then the next day I took my wife's Jeep in for a wave service - I received a text with a link to a video showing the tech checking the brakes, pointing to the oil draining out, checking tires and other stuff...............
I had video proof they had done the oil change and actually looked at the brakes and such.
I didn't know if that was a Jeep policy or something they cooked up themselves - I'd never doubted that they did the oil changes - I can tell if something's touched or not - but sometimes wondered - do they REALLY do some of those checks? Yeah, there's a video of them measuring my brakes.
That's not proof that they always look at EVERYTHING, it wasn't a 10 minute video of all aspects of any inspection or all the work, but still - it was something.
I can say that i have probably taken different jeeps to at least 8 different dealerships over the years and i have never gotten anything more than the pencil whipped sheet they print off and had you with your keys. I would love to get some kind of video proof they were actually doing the work.

I think the fact that there was grease on the front tire was the most frustrating part of the whole thing. I know finding good help is hard right now but come on. If i wouldn't have taken the wheel off myself how long would it have been before the issue was found and how much more damage could have been done...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Talked to my service department on Saturday and they pulled it in the shop looked it over and drove it. Told me it’s ok to drive for now. Part had a tracking number 10/13 but never shipped and nobody knows where it went. I brought it home and this morning pulled the passenger side wheel, brake caliper, and rotor off. Fairly oily on parking brake shoes and brake pads. You can see where the outer seal has pulled away but I couldn’t see any oil there. Anyway I put it back together and drove it some. It’s not making any noise at all like it was when I parked it and quit driving it back on 10-6. Here’s a couple pictures I snapped.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 4E84EEF3-9DC0-41F5-96D9-603CA07C99AF

That’s not the seal you see there, it’s a dust shield. The seal is behind the retainer, which is behind the dust seal from the perspective of the photos.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not the seal you see there, it’s a dust shield. The seal is behind the retainer, which is behind the dust seal from the perspective of the photos.
Yup - what he said.

For reference - this is an OLDER Dana axle from a WJ, but gives the order of things - generally speaking - and shows that you can't really see the seal when all is installed. It's behind the retainer and in the case of the JT - a shield.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 3817615d1555050501-rear-axle-seal-leak-dana-rear-44a-axle-shaft-new-timken-set31-bearing-seal-se

Richard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500 Rebel, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Yup - what he said.

For reference - this is an OLDER Dana axle from a WJ, but gives the order of things - generally speaking - and shows that you can't really see the seal when all is installed. It's behind the retainer and in the case of the JT - a shield.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 3817615d1555050501-rear-axle-seal-leak-dana-rear-44a-axle-shaft-new-timken-set31-bearing-seal-se
Yeah kinda figured that out due to how dry it was there but wet behind it. I just figured it was the outer part the bearing being pushed out because the bearing is starting to fail maybe. It’s been making a noise that sounds like the tire rubbing the fender liner but it’s not. Thanks for the information and picture guys👍🏻
Sponsored