Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No TSB that I have found yet.
There shouldn't need to be a TSB for them to see your axle seal is leaking and FIX IT.
This shouldn't be a "it's leaking and we don't know what to do" thing - once they try to get parts, I bet they get clued in...........
It's under warranty, they'll search for every possible cause and solution.

Maybe some insider her has a TSB but nothing I've found in public domain.
Sponsored

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
No TSB that I have found yet.
There shouldn't need to be a TSB for them to see your axle seal is leaking and FIX IT.
This shouldn't be a "it's leaking and we don't know what to do" thing - once they try to get parts, I bet they get clued in...........
It's under warranty, they'll search for every possible cause and solution.

Maybe some insider her has a TSB but nothing I've found in public domain.
Thanks, I never get the impression I'm dealing with real sophisticated folks in the service departments- but I also don't understand the process they need to go through to make a warranty repair.

This is my second gladiator and second axle seal leak- I'm just annoyed that it is still an issue.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
1746 miles on my ā€˜22 with leaking right rear axle seal. So no..... it didnā€™t get fixed with ā€˜22 models

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
1746 miles on my ā€˜22 with leaking right rear axle seal. So no..... it didnā€™t get fixed with ā€˜22 models
No one said it did - but going forward with 2022 models, it is likely if engineering actually has a solution in a new design or deign revision.
It should follow like other parts do, steering, for example. New gear designed, made, and sent out for repairs, about that time, it was introduced into the 2021 model year as a running change.
Look for the new axle rev to be a running change in 2022 moving forward.
They won't keep building new trucks with the leaky design while sending out the fix to existing trucks. They'll be within weeks, if not days, of each other.

Of course your truck has the old design (no one said it wouldn't) - it would be logical, make sense, since it's not out there for repairs on existing trucks yet either (or is it??)

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Has anyone swapped to aftermarket axles and not had the same issues afterwards? Thinking of possibly going this route since itā€™s on my list of upgrades anyway. Wasnā€™t necessarily planning on it within the first 2k miles, but.......

Sponsored

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
Thanks, I never get the impression I'm dealing with real sophisticated folks in the service departments- but I also don't understand the process they need to go through to make a warranty repair.

This is my second gladiator and second axle seal leak- I'm just annoyed that it is still an issue.
Update: parts arrived on Tuesday, replaced the right rear assembly on Wednesday, leaking on Saturday (today). Is the conventional wisdom to take it back to the dealer and say "wanna give it another shot" or is there something I can do about this on my own? Also, it appears that it is leaking worse than before- a lot more oil is accumulating on the inside of my wheel.

Thanks all,

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Update: parts arrived on Tuesday, replaced the right rear assembly on Wednesday, leaking on Saturday (today). Is the conventional wisdom to take it back to the dealer and say "wanna give it another shot" or is there something I can do about this on my own? Also, it appears that it is leaking worse than before- a lot more oil is accumulating on the inside of my wheel.

Thanks all,
WTF :headbang:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD

Thanks all,
I would bring it back for another shot or you can pull the axle and add some rtv around the seal.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks all,
They owe you.
I thought these could no longer be ordered because an engineering change was pending.
Were you supposed to have gotten the brand new design?
Personally, if it were me, it's still warranty and I'd push to make them get it fixed. The more people try to handle things like this DIY, the fewer reports of f-ups Jeep gets relayed to them.

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
They owe you.
I thought these could no longer be ordered because an engineering change was pending.
Were you supposed to have gotten the brand new design?
Personally, if it were me, it's still warranty and I'd push to make them get it fixed. The more people try to handle things like this DIY, the fewer reports of f-ups Jeep gets relayed to them.
I cant say I know if this is a new design, the ticket says '68474094AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR'. I'll ask when I return Monday after work. I would like to avoid doing anything myself while it is still early in my warranty- and compel them to fix something they should be.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I cant say I know if this is a new design, the ticket says '6847409AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR'. I'll ask when I return Monday after work. I would like to avoid doing anything myself while it is still early in my warranty- and compel them to fix something they should be.
Since that's an AA revision (early) and the number doesn't look up....without looking up the axle assembly parts on a MOPAR parts site, I will "guess" it's the new one.

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Perhaps it's the process of R/R the dealer techs have no clue how to do and they damaged the seal on install....

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO

Thanks all,
Just Wow! I would take it back to the dealer.

Just asking, are you sure it's not residual fluid from a crummy cleanup job? Mine appeared to be leaking for quite a while after repair. I blasted the area with parts cleaner and wiped it down several times. Fluid eventually stopped seeping out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps it's the process of R/R the dealer techs have no clue how to do and they damaged the seal on install....
I don't know how that's even possible It's already on the axle, it's got a rubber outside later with ribs. You slid it into the axle housing - it follows the bearing cup into the housing. You'd have to really be a dummy to damage an axle seal going in. I bet I could do one blindfolded and not damage a seal. It's protected, for the most part, by the bearing on the inboard side, and the spacer and retainer on the outboard side. All that is exposed is the outer rim. The housings aren't really sharp as far as going in, there's a bit of a taper to allow the bearing cup to line up and slide in.
I've done so many dozens of seals, I just can't fathom damaging one, You'd have to drop the axle on razor blades right at the seal area.
MAYBE they didn't clean out the axle tube and check for burrs or imperfections or the weld seam being rough or uneven. Run your finger where the bearing cup and seal go and if you pull back slivers and your finger is bloody, you need to clean up the housing.

My apologies, I made a typo, the part number was missing the final '4'.

2020-2022 Jeep Axle Rear Shaft 68474094AA | Mopar Parts (allmoparparts.com)
Then you don't have the new replacement would be my bet.
Either way, time to hit the dealership and inform them that you have heard about a new part number - I know what's been said about residual, and I agree, it's always possible, but again, it's their bad. When you fix a leak you return a vehicle back to the owner looking like it never had a leak to begin with. That means CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Don't just fix the leak and send it back with oil on things. Fix it and make it look like: leak? What leak? I don't see any signs of a leak.
Sponsored