Sponsored

Leaking axle seal?

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Noticed mine leaking on Monday. Had an appointment with the dealer the next day and just got it back this afternoon. Jan 2021 build and a little over 12k miles (not sure how long it had been leaking though). Hopefully it’s all fixed.
Sponsored

Jeeppop72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dog
Just got mine back today. Here in Indianapolis I was able to drop mine off on Tuesday this week for service Wednesday (they squeezed me in with no appt) and they had it ready Thursday night about 4p.

Now just got to watch and see if it starts leaking again.

They used part # 68474264AA Shaft-Axle Rear
So that is a different part number than I had replaced. Mine was 68471168AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR

It has been over 5 months and 5000 miles and still dry.

MyMojaveJT

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Challenger SRT 392
@Jeeppop72 That's interesting. Is yours a Mojave? I don't know but assume at least a couple of the models have different axles.

Jeeppop72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dog
21 Overland

Different part numbers probably make sense since the gearing is different perhaps? 3.73 to 4.10...

Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
There are some revised axle part numbers, plus rubicon, max tow and Mojave with wider track have different axles

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
This may have been mentioned.....Check that your tube vent is clear. Mine was clogged and caused my leak. And to think, my dealer wanted to replace my axles.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
This may have been mentioned.....Check that your tube vent is clear. Mine was clogged and caused my leak. And to think, my dealer wanted to replace my axles.
Interesting...I know this has been a theory from the start. Was it clogged with bugs or mud or do you think that it was just the gore membrane not breathing enough?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Owner of Tanner said just clogged up with debris. They blew it out. HE also told me the all data specs are wrong. Can cause people to over fill the diff. I'm cleaned up and will monitor. Doing Ouray on Tuesday with the group trip.
Will report back.

Interesting...I know this has been a theory from the start. Was it clogged with bugs or mud or do you think that it was just the gore membrane not breathing enough?

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Dropped it off last night just before closing. They put me in a Ram w/ the 3.6 and called me this morning around 10:30 to let me know it was ready. They told me during the initial inspection months ago that they intended on replacing the rear pass. rotor, pads and e-brake shoe but I thought the pads were still on backorder till Nov. Thankfully they got it all in and done very quickly.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? leaking-axle-repair

Sponsored

JT Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Telecom
2021 JT Willys
Went to get a lift put on today, low and behold, rear passenger axle leak. Guys hadn’t gotten too far into the lift before they noticed. They went ahead put it back to stock and I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday. Was looking forward to a new lift before the weekend. Read a lot of this thread so it’s looking pretty common but still some supply issues. Fingers crossed!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
2021 JT Willys
Went to get a lift put on today, low and behold, rear passenger axle leak. Guys hadn’t gotten too far into the lift before they noticed. They went ahead put it back to stock and I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday. Was looking forward to a new lift before the weekend. Read a lot of this thread so it’s looking pretty common but still some supply issues. Fingers crossed!
The number of these reports seems to be slowing now, so hopefully most have been fixed, and there won't be such a backlog on parts now.

Iowafarm

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Chevy Camaro SS, HD Wideglide
Occupation
Farmer
Mine started leaking after my trip to Moab and sedona. 22,000 miles on a 21. Knowmit was not leaking when I left I rotated my tires befor I left and my rims where clean. Should have looked during the trip I guess because my rim was fully coated when I got home. But I probably couldn't get it fix on the trip anyway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
HE also told me the all data specs are wrong. Can cause people to over fill the diff.
Now I'm curious - how do you over-fill these while they are in the vehicle?
Also - seals are made to work totally submerged in oil. What he's saying is that only the bottom 1/4 of the seal will hold back lube and the middle won't.
I wonder if he's just looking for reasons for the leaks.

JT Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Telecom
The number of these reports seems to be slowing now, so hopefully most have been fixed, and there won't be such a backlog on parts now.
Whew! Good deal. Thank ya!
Sponsored