Sponsored

Leasing a Gladiator For 3 Years... What Kayak Roof Rack Is Worth It?

hreyhrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
SEO
Like the title says, what types of roof racks are worth it for a lease? Maybe I could find some used and then resell it? The reason I'm not using the bed is because my Kayak is 15' long and would fit better on a roof I thinks.

Appreciate the help
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Like the title says, what types of roof racks are worth it for a lease? Maybe I could find some used and then resell it? The reason I'm not using the bed is because my Kayak is 15' long and would fit better on a roof I thinks.

Appreciate the help
If you're not wanting to drill the top (I assume not, with a lease), then go with the Mopar Gladiator roof rack.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hreyhrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
SEO

eschultz8

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave aka Mojo; 2015 Sahara JKU
Im looking for the same thing for a 13 foot kayak. The rails that go on the freedom top say not to transport watercraft for some odd reason. I wanted to use them with this:

https://www.rei.com/product/691465/thule-goalpost
I think them saying not to transport water craft is simply being overly cautious; its not like they can say "must use logic and common sense when...." (even if they did those it was meant for would ignore)
Anyway, I transported a 100lb, 18' Old Town Canoe on my JKU for years without any issues. Used foam blocks/noodles and strapped down in front (2 straps bolted under hood on left/right) and to the rear hitch.
Doing the same with 12' Kayak on the Gladiator (would prefer rack, but can't find one compatible with hard tri-fold).
Jeep Gladiator Leasing a Gladiator For 3 Years... What Kayak Roof Rack Is Worth It? ACECE92F-3BAA-4AF4-B645-DE00BFDF727C

Last edited:

MojaveAZ2020

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Training Manager
I think them saying not to transport water craft is simply being overly cautious; its not like they can say "must use logic and common sense when...." (even if they did those it was meant for would ignore)
Anyway, I transported a 100lb, 18' Old Town Canoe on my JKU for years without any issues. Used foam blocks/noodles and strapped down in front (2 straps bolted under hood on left/right) and to the rear hitch.
Doing the same with 12' Kayak on the Gladiator (would prefer rack, but can't find one compatible with hard tri-fold).
Jeep Gladiator Leasing a Gladiator For 3 Years... What Kayak Roof Rack Is Worth It? ACECE92F-3BAA-4AF4-B645-DE00BFDF727C
I gave in and ended up going this route for my kayak and bike transportation needs.

https://www.sylvansport.com/go-easy-kayak-trailer/

My wife did not want the bed rack installed because she drives it and doesn't like the look.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Exposed racks. No drilling, 300 Lb dynamic load rating, & freedom panel access.

2E2C4364-169D-45AA-ABED-0E81DA34A7AF.jpeg

Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Just my 2 cents, so please do not take this as a jab against anyone's particular method of carrying their boat:

I would not want to use any roof rack with a leased vehicle. My experience is limited to the Yakima roof rack I had on my Honda Accord, but I have to imagine using it will lead to minor damage no matter how careful you are. I had it on there for about 4-5 years and didn't bother to remove it at all for the last 2.

The clips for the q-towers eventually rubbed through the "protector" they give you and my paint wore off soon after that. The fairing likewise rubbed the roof, even with the little stickers they give you (which won't come off easily later down the road). Maybe this isn't actually much of a concern, assuming you don't have a painted top and the bars attached directly to the hard top (instead of clamping to the painted roof of a sedan). The straps used to tie down the front rubbed the painted bumper and hood. I had at first used a soft rag under the straps but those wouldn't stay on long drives.

I wasn't particularly careful given that my car already had hail damage and marks from when I just used pool noodles and straps before I got the rack, but I also didn't go out of my way to damage it. I was surprised by the missing paint when I took them off to sell it. If you aren't going to be using the rack often you will probably be okay but I would just be extra careful about marring the paint.

I have been carrying my 12.5' in the bed with a hitch mounted extender. So far I have not bothered to use it all with the shorter kayaks (10' & 9.5') and I've had no problems yet. Of course you lose the bed as a storage option so paddles, jackets, etc are in the back seat.

I had also been eyeing a lightweight kayak trailer. They seem pretty nice to be honest. They are light enough you can park at the top of the boat ramp and just walk the entire set up down the water if you like. Just a much more $$ commitment.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Got my 14.5 ft. Dagger up on my exposed racks, extremely solid on the test drive. Will be doing a longer haul with a tandem next weekend.

4B7EEC03-C0E2-4662-9787-A2A956D5205F.jpeg

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I'm in the same "boat" and looking for a solution to fit two 14ft kayaks. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that much weight on two small looking roof racks and originally I was considering a Yakima OverHaul HD which a friend has and works great. Then I was pointed towards a Max Modular ALUMAX 22" which will clear the cab and looks better to me if I leave it on the truck all the time.

I'm going to wait until my truck arrives so I can see how things will work with the tonneau cover then I'll decide.

Maverik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Got my 14.5 ft. Dagger up on my exposed racks, extremely solid on the test drive. Will be doing a longer haul with a tandem next weekend.

Jeep Gladiator Leasing a Gladiator For 3 Years... What Kayak Roof Rack Is Worth It? 4B7EEC03-C0E2-4662-9787-A2A956D5205F
Any update on how it’s working out?
Sponsored