LED Lights, are they worth it?

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Keep in mind the JL/JT headlights are 9 inch, not 7 inch. You can get brackets and still use the 7" headlights, but they are not the same size as the OEM headlights.

There are very few 9" lights in the market and I don't think that will change very much in the near future because (1) so many get the LED package from the factory and even more will now that the JL Sport S offers them as an option and (2) they can still sell the 7" headlights with the bracket to JL/JT owners
Also consider the LED replacement bulbs; you can just swap out the halogen bulb for LED without changing the unit
Sponsored

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Aren't all the lights led? I mean the interior lights, licence plate , map, vanity mirrors etc?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Aren't all the lights led? I mean the interior lights, licence plate , map, vanity mirrors etc?
This. The LED package gets them everywhere there's a light. If you DIY then the cost for headlights + fogs + taillights will quickly hit that $1k price point (unless you do the LED bulb conversion some have mentioned.) Personally, I like the look of the Jeep factory LEDs more than any of the other LED options on the market.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I live in TN so 364+ days a year snow is not a problem. BUT deer are a problem 365 days a year in TN. The animals are much easier to spot with the brightness and color of the LED package. My old Cherokee i usually have to hit a deer before I see it.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Probably worth mentioning here what a lux is.

A lux is a metric unit of illumination which is equal to the number of lumens per square meter and is distance dependent as the light is being distributed in a wedge both horizontally and vertically. So saying it produced X lux is somewhat meaningless if we do not know the distance at which the meter is placed. Isolux charts like we may seen from hella do a great job of explaining the visual intensity and shape of a given beam.

1 lux is typically described as the moonshine cast by a full moon with black skies and no ambient light pollution or cloud. This is a surprising amount of light such that the other descriptor is enough light to read the New York Times at a reasonable and comfortable distance.

Illumination is the measured intensity in of light falling on a surface where as Luminance is the perceived visual intensity of the light source itself.

So “brightness” is a somewhat misleading term and concept used by marketeers to sell products. It’s like asking which type of music is louder.

Now as to are LED worth it? That’s up to you. I personally don’t like LED for normal driving as the single frequency light can cause interesting shadows and play games with color that can trick the eye. Since most LED are biased towards the blue end of the spectrum this does great things for not triggering our irises as you would in a normal light response which is what the really blue LED and HID feel so much more glaring. For auxiliary lighting I have no issues with LED because of the massive output and far looser constraints on beam shape. We could get into a long discussion about light color and perceived differences and advantages but we can save that for another time.

Just remember, if it sounds like something a sales guy would say it probably is. Do your homework and learn the details.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I live in TN so 364+ days a year snow is not a problem. BUT deer are a problem 365 days a year in TN. The animals are much easier to spot with the brightness and color of the LED package. My old Cherokee i usually have to hit a deer before I see it.
The age old problem of trying to illuminate a brown deer against a brown road with a brown lamp.

Good color rendition index (cri) and normally 5400k light color helps make that deer look almost lifelike at the moment of contact.

Okay enough deer jokes.

That said, smooth distribution and well formed beams will allow even the most stone ages of light source perform well. I would prefer the OEM LED over aftermarket units for the reasons the video points out, doesn’t matter how many lumens the lamp can product or how many lumens get converted to useable lux if the beam shape is garbage. All that light and you still can’t see.

My JK only has(had) vertical aim adjustment screws from factory because the fmvss only specifies a height tolerance. I had to order the horizontal adjustment screws from an export model to actually aim the lamps when I converted to H4, is this still the case with the JL/JT? If so it might be worth adding the other screw and seeing what happens when they are fully aimed.

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
LEDs 100%....had on last 2 Wranglers(JLUS & JLUR) and now on JT, no question as to good buy......

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Absolutley love them, feel bad for vehicles traveling the opposite direction though. Murica'

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
LEDs are def better than the halogens.

That being said, I'm waiting some take off halogens I bought to show up so I can stuff some d2s projectors in them.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
This. The LED package gets them everywhere there's a light. If you DIY then the cost for headlights + fogs + taillights will quickly hit that $1k price point (unless you do the LED bulb conversion some have mentioned.) Personally, I like the look of the Jeep factory LEDs more than any of the other LED options on the market.
I just priced out a complete list of LED replacement bulbs for our Jeeps at Headlight Revolution totaling $525.
- Supernova V4 headlights and foglights
- LED Tailights
- LED fender lights

OEM LED package on a Rubicon/Overland cost $887 invoice. 5% below invoice equates to $841.

Difference of $316.

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I just priced out a complete list of LED replacement bulbs for our Jeeps at Headlight Revolution totaling $525.
- Supernova V4 headlights and foglights
- LED Tailights
- LED fender lights

OEM LED package on a Rubicon/Overland cost $887 invoice. 5% below invoice equates to $841.

Difference of $316.
Thanks for pricing it all out. As I said, doing that bulb replacement would be affordable whereas buying the LED headlight solutions are $300-500 (or more) just for headlight. This bulb solution is definitely a big win on pricing.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
As I said, doing that bulb replacement would be affordable whereas buying the LED headlight solutions are $300-500 (or more) just for headlight. This bulb solution is definitely a big win on pricing.
As long as the aftermarket company stays in business long-term & they keep producing the same bulbs it is a good solution.

FYI I just spoke with HR and they confirmed they will sell a single replacement bulb if you have one go bad outside of the 2-year warranty. (they are only listed as pairs on their site)

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
The only problem I see (haven't tested yet as it is still summer in Iowa) is that the factory LEDs don't have a heating element on the lens. This could be a problem in ice and snow where it will build up and restrict the light. There are some after-market LEDs with the heating elements, that is what I think I would prefer. I have an LE so we'll find out how bad that is next winter!

Honestly if this becomes an issue someone will make an aftermarket heating element. This is why personally I’ll go this route. Also there are lenses you can apply as well as hydrophobic treatments. IMHO this isn’t going to be a issue.

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Since I did not have a chance to order my JT, I ended up with one without LED. Now I am searching down the rabbit's hole for what and how to convert to LEDs. Get them if you can.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to decide if I am going to order factory installed LED lights when I order one. For those that already have them, are they really that much better and are they worth the price?

Thanks for all the responses....going LED!
Yes.
Sponsored