Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I'm not even reading that article, a Stabilizer has never been a cause of Death Wobble or a fix.
Not saying the stabilizer was the cause of the wobble as in it induced it. It was indeed the solution Jeep came up with whether you want to believe it or not.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2019/08/10/jeep-death-wobble-fix/1969368001/

They're simply trying to dampen the wobble enough to kill it. That's the point.

Which also means the root cause is still there. My point is merely that since the cause is still there and being controlled by the stabilizer I would not go messing with geometry. People do and are fine, but I just wouldn't. That is all.

Last edited:

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
FYI a 1.5 to 2” lift will shift the front front axle back slightly and rear axle forward slightly, adjustable control arms will bring that back, but it is so small as not to be an issue. it will change the driveshaft to axle angle but again, within tolerances. The Loft will also shift the front axle to the left slightly, approx 1/4 inch, if that bothers you there is an adjustable bar for that as well. In any case you may have to realign your steering wheel a tad. Logic will show that moving an axle forward should not cause a “death wobble” neither should sideways. I believe the biggest contributor to death wobble is worn components due to oversized tires, ball joints etc. not to be confused with the “wandering about” common with straight axles. That sensation is increased with “floatation tires.” The steering stabilizer is important as a dampener when hitting rocks curbs etc. it reduces some of the “shock” of that impact To protect your steering unit And as a byproduct may “tighten up” your steering control/feel somewhat. Only a fool would remove that stabilizer unless they are 100% mallcrawler and know they will never hit a curb over 3 mph. ShOrt version, slap a teraflex or similar 1.5 level kit on, have the alignment checked and don’t sweat it. Oh and just because you under there anyway, screw the shock extensions, put some falcon shocks on It. You will like the ride better that way. All this my too sense and based on in depth research.

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Oh and just in case anyone is curious, 33X12.50 x 18 with 4.5 backspaced Fuel wheels will fit just fine on stock, nonRubicon Gladiator. Never rubs or hits.
Jeep Gladiator Leveling kits and body lift kits 34591420-9A77-4A00-A7CE-2775A12265E1

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
FYI a 1.5 to 2” lift will shift the front front axle back slightly and rear axle forward slightly, adjustable control arms will bring that back, but it is so small as not to be an issue. it will change the driveshaft to axle angle but again, within tolerances. The Loft will also shift the front axle to the left slightly, approx 1/4 inch, if that bothers you there is an adjustable bar for that as well. In any case you may have to realign your steering wheel a tad. Logic will show that moving an axle forward should not cause a “death wobble” neither should sideways. I believe the biggest contributor to death wobble is worn components due to oversized tires, ball joints etc. not to be confused with the “wandering about” common with straight axles. That sensation is increased with “floatation tires.” The steering stabilizer is important as a dampener when hitting rocks curbs etc. it reduces some of the “shock” of that impact To protect your steering unit And as a byproduct may “tighten up” your steering control/feel somewhat. Only a fool would remove that stabilizer unless they are 100% mallcrawler and know they will never hit a curb over 3 mph. ShOrt version, slap a teraflex or similar 1.5 level kit on, have the alignment checked and don’t sweat it. Oh and just because you under there anyway, screw the shock extensions, put some falcon shocks on It. You will like the ride better that way. All this my too sense and based on in depth research.
Or if your suspension is dialed in you can remove and ride without a steering stabilizer. I rode for 3 days without mine and hit plenty of bumps along the way, some at more than 70 mph on I-85. I'm not saying ride forever without it, but if your suspension is dialed in then you can survive without it. Also not saying it doesn't make a difference having one on because it does tighten up the steering, but I'll promise you a busted steering stabilizer has never been a cause of Death Wobble but will aid in masking another components failure that is causing the DW.

Sponsored

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Or if your suspension is dialed in you can remove and ride without a steering stabilizer. I rode for 3 days without mine and hit plenty of bumps along the way, some at more than 70 mph on I-85. I'm not saying ride forever without it, but if your suspension is dialed in then you can survive without it. Also not saying it doesn't make a difference having one on because it does tighten up the steering, but I'll promise you a busted steering stabilizer has never been a cause of Death Wobble but will aid in masking another components failure that is causing the DW.
i agree with you ccomplelty. True story, Ran my lifted 77 Chevy 3/4 ton for years on 38s and never an issue.the one day ?I smacked a rock, hard, cracked the frame right at the steering box mount. Ouch. Welded and gussetted and bought a stabilizer lol

TXJTMAXMUS

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Director of Sales
I did the Rough Country 2.5” leveling kit but for me it didn’t look right. I never really liked it (just my opinion). I’ve now installed a 1-1/2” leveling kit in the back and it looks almost perfectly aligned. So I would say the 1-1/2” front will get you as level as she will sit. I can’t believe this but I don’t have a side on view photo... this is the best I have that shows the alignment.

Jeep Gladiator Leveling kits and body lift kits 34591420-9A77-4A00-A7CE-2775A12265E1
what is your tire offset there? What size tire?

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
what is your tire offset there? What size tire?
The rims come with a -18 offset and those were 35's (35x12.50R17). I now run 37x13.50R17 on the same rims but with the 3" RockKrawler springs in the back.

jeep.jpg

ofalcon

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I did the Rough Country 2.5” leveling kit but for me it didn’t look right. I never really liked it (just my opinion). I’ve now installed a 1-1/2” leveling kit in the back and it looks almost perfectly aligned. So I would say the 1-1/2” front will get you as level as she will sit. I can’t believe this but I don’t have a side on view photo... this is the best I have that shows the alignment.

Jeep Gladiator Leveling kits and body lift kits jee
Hi Willemlock. thanks for your comment! Could you please provide the info of the back 1-1/2” leveling kit you bought? I'm planning to do the same.

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
Hi Willemlock. thanks for your comment! Could you please provide the info of the back 1-1/2” leveling kit you bought? I'm planning to do the same.
Yep I got mine from Rusty’s Offroad. Back then they were the only ones who made it. They do still make it and very cost effective.

Sponsored

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I put in the Rubicon Express JT7134E kit and it looks pretty darn level to me - I say this because depending where I park, sometimes the front looks slightly higher, sometimes the back, so it evens out (at least mentally). In all seriousness, I was recently in a Target parking lot that looked pretty level, and my JT looked as level as could be from what I could see.

First pic is with the kit installed and OEM tires; second is with Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/75/18) installed.

20200918_175416.jpg

20201009_140053.jpg