First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave Sting Gray
Occupation
Software Nerd
I recently had my gears swapped to Revolution 5.13’s at Exodus 4x4 (more about that in a second). I’ve noticed when breaking, let’s say on a highway at 60 mph and coming to a stop at a red light, the transmission doesn’t downshift like it did with 4.10’s like it used to and “help” my brakes bring the Jeep to a stop.

Is this normal behavior? I feel like I’m going to need to replace break pads much more often if it is.

For anyone who lives in Texas…Ryan and Bubba and their team at Exodus 4x4 are absolutely awesome to work with. If you need something you’re not comfortable doing on your own to your JT or something even a little bit whacky I’d highly recommend checking them out.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
Oh and before anyone asks the tire size and gear ratio is set correctly. I’m running 37x12.50 Cooper STT Pros.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Did you bring it up with Bubba?

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
Did you bring it up with Bubba?
Not yet…I go in on Monday for my 500 mile break in inspection/fluid change. I’ll definitely ask about it, just curious if anyone else had similar experiences.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Share with us, his input, please.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Your transmission is learning, it won't downshift as much because it doesn't need to be ready to respond to sudden throttle.

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
Your transmission is learning, it won't downshift as much because it doesn't need to be ready to respond to sudden throttle.
I thought about that…maybe it will improve with time and learning. I just passed the 500 mile mark today.

SIG551-A1

First Name
Stazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Did they adjust the gearing with a Tazer or something similar?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I thought about that…maybe it will improve with time and learning. I just passed the 500 mile mark today.
It won't change much, the transmission downshifts because it tries to stay in a band to make power based on the power tables for your gear/tire ratio. It downshifted before because it had to if it wanted to be able to offer torque for a sudden throttle application.

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
Did they adjust the gearing with a Tazer or something similar?
Yep…I already had a Tazer in my Jeep and they adjusted it correctly. I double-checked to make sure the gear ratio update “stuck” and it’s definitely there.

Sponsored

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave White
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
I’m actually getting the same work done next month +chromoly rear axle shaft at Exodus. Will be watching this thread

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
It won't change much, the transmission downshifts because it tries to stay in a band to make power based on the power tables for your gear/tire ratio. It downshifted before because it had to if it wanted to be able to offer torque for a sudden throttle application.
Ahhh, gotcha. So this behavior is normal. My computer knows I have different gears as is adjusting power bands to match.

In my example slowing to a stop from 60 mph, the jeep doesn’t downshift from 8th to 7th until I’m at about 800 rpm. I’m having to lean on the brakes much harder to stop while it slowly gets down to 1st at a complete stop.

Forgive my ignorance on this subject…regearing is a totally new concept for me.

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
I’m actually getting the same work done next month +chromoly rear axle shaft at Exodus. Will be watching this thread
Man the difference between your 4.10‘s and the new 5.13’s will blow your mind. So awesome having 7th & 8th gear back. The initial break in trips you have to do are a bit of a pain.

Be careful when you pull out of their shop onto the I35 access road when you leave. I got a lot of horns honked and a couple of middle fingers for cruising at 35 mph…people are fun.

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave White
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
Man the difference between your 4.10‘s and the new 5.13’s will blow your mind. So awesome having 7th & 8th gear back. The initial break in trips you have to do are a bit of a pain.

Be careful when you pull out of their shop onto the I35 access road when you leave. I got a lot of horns honked and a couple of middle fingers for cruising at 35 mph…people are fun.
Yeah I’m pretty excited! Bubba and his team installed my Evo 2.5” lift also and those guys are awesome.
What sucks is that I live 235 miles West of Exodus so that’s gonna be a fun drive lol

OP
OP
TreyK42

TreyK42

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Nerd
Yeah I’m pretty excited! Bubba and his team installed my Evo 2.5” lift also and those guys are awesome.
What sucks is that I live 235 miles West of Exodus so that’s gonna be a fun
I’d say do your 15 minute break in drives in New Braunfels and then cruise home at 65 mph. They’ll do the first 35 mph drive for you so you only need two more at 35 and two at 65. I hung out at Buccees while I let my Jeep cool down in between drives.

At least you’ll hit 500 miles pretty quickly!
Sponsored