Sponsored

Lifting a Mojave 3+ inches and retaining the factory shocks?

C^2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Software Engineer
I tried using the search feature but came up empty handed. Has anyone here lifted their Mojave 3+ inches and still managed to retain the factory shocks? I've seen a lot of 2" lifts and really liked the completeness of Epic Adventure Outfitters kit, but was curious if it was even possible to get 3" and still maintain the factory shocks?
Sponsored

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As long as you can find shock extension brackets to work with the amount of lift you're planning on adding, you should be able to make it work with any kit out there!

Reactions: C^2

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
You *could* make it work, but if spending that much to properly lift 3”+, why keep the shocks?

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Reactions: C^2

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
As long as you can find shock extension brackets to work with the amount of lift you're planning on adding, you should be able to make it work with any kit out there!
Be sure to also find appropriate bump stop extensions so you don't bottom out the shocks.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Maybe useful if trying to set up right:

Bypass Zones
There are two compression ports and one rebound (extension) port. This is a common setup so that the travel towards bottoming out is dampened in two progressive stages.
  • Zone 3: 1 7/8” from full compression
    • Zone 3 is very firm to prevent bottoming out
  • Zone 2: 2 7/8” from full compression (1” from Zone 3)
    • Zone 2 is slightly more firm than the ride zone to slow the compression before hitting Zone 3
  • Zone 1: 1/4” from full extension (4 3/4” from Zone 2)
    • Zone 1 is to prevent the shock from slamming into full extension
  • Ride Zone: this zone is implicit based on Zones 1 and 2 above and lives between 2 7/8” and 7 5/8” of extension - 4 3/4” travel.
Zone Travel
I measured that my Mojave (YMMV) sits level on the ground at 3 1/2” from full extension, or 4 3/8” from full compression. With that in mind, in my opinion these are the most practically useful measurements to determine proper use of the bypass zones with lifts/levels:
  • 2 1/2” uptravel from ride height to Zone 3
  • 1 1/2” uptravel from ride height to Zone 2
  • 3 1/4” downtravel from ride height to Zone 1
From @outdoor.adventures

metalcloak makes uppers shock extensions.
Lower shock extensions such as fab tech or metalcloak, evo. Saw someone say MC doesn’t work with Mojave but another posted his picture with it. Probably a mismatch of bolt sizes?
Can run sleeve inside 14mm Mojave shock hole to reduce down to non-Mojave 12mm bolt

uxcell Sleeve Bearing 12mm Bore x14mmOD x20mmlength... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JLBLBQ8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

From @Jorgeperezjr

like others said, correct bump stop so shocks don’t bottom out..

Last edited:

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
metalcloak makes uppers shock extensions.
Lower shock extensions such as fab tech or metalcloak, evo. Saw someone say MC doesn’t work with Mojave but another posted his picture with it. Probably a mismatch of bolt sizes?
Can run sleeve inside 14mm Mojave shock hole to reduce down to non-Mojave 12mm bolt
Jumping in here as the one who measured out those Mojave shock specs quoted above.

MetalCloak actually makes that 3” front upper shock extension specific to the Mojave now, so it bolts right up no customization needed. I used them on my Mojave and they’re not expensive.

For front lower shock extensions I used Teraflex 2”. The Mojave lower shock bolts like you said are M14, so I used a 9/16” drill bit to enlarge the lower extension’s holes. It’s just aluminum so it’s an easy drill.

I extended the rear shocks just 2.5” using Evo’s lower rear extensions, although the fitment on these was terrible so I don’t recommend them. No drilling necessary in the rear though.

I felt this extension setup was worth it at ~$250 to keep the OEM Mojave shocks until they start feeling sloppy and then I’ll upgrade.

Front upper MetalCloak/lower Teraflex pics:
Jeep Gladiator Lifting a Mojave 3+ inches and retaining the factory shocks? D954BF87-07F3-4C9E-A96D-A3C913BAEE4F

Jeep Gladiator Lifting a Mojave 3+ inches and retaining the factory shocks? D764F6E7-54BA-4796-A84C-20F15730B9EC

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Jumping in here as the one who measured out those Mojave shock specs quoted above.

MetalCloak actually makes that 3” front upper shock extension specific to the Mojave now, so it bolts right up no customization needed. I used them on my Mojave and they’re not expensive.

For front lower shock extensions I used Teraflex 2”. The Mojave lower shock bolts like you said are M14, so I used a 9/16” drill bit to enlarge the lower extension’s holes. It’s just aluminum so it’s an easy drill.

I extended the rear shocks just 2.5” using Evo’s lower rear extensions, although the fitment on these was terrible so I don’t recommend them. No drilling necessary in the rear though.

I felt this extension setup was worth it at ~$250 to keep the OEM Mojave shocks until they start feeling sloppy and then I’ll upgrade.

D954BF87-07F3-4C9E-A96D-A3C913BAEE4F.jpeg

D764F6E7-54BA-4796-A84C-20F15730B9EC.jpeg
@outdoor.adventures, why 5" total of shock extension in the front? You have 5" of lift in the front?

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Gladiator Lifting a Mojave 3+ inches and retaining the factory shocks? D764F6E7-54BA-4796-A84C-20F15730B9EC

As far as I can tell, metalcloak doesn’t say how much extension these provide on their website since they are advertised more for outward frame clearance.. which is frustrating.
Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
The other issue is over extending the shocks. Limiting straps will be needed.

Defeats the purpose of a lift, IMO. Unless you don’t care about flexing out the suspension.

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
@outdoor.adventures, why 5" total of shock extension in the front? You have 5" of lift in the front?
yeah, the Clayton 3.5” lift provides about 4.5” in the front (they measure 3.5” lift in the rear for the kit) plus I have a leveling spacer. Sorry, should have included that info.

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
As far as I can tell, metalcloak doesn’t say how much extension these provide on their website since they are advertised more for outward frame clearance.. which is frustrating.
Thanks for the info.
Agreed - I found out because buried in the middle of one of their info videos about the extensions it says they’re 3”. I purchased and it’s true.

outdoor.adventures

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
The other issue is over extending the shocks. Limiting straps will be needed.

Defeats the purpose of a lift, IMO. Unless you don’t care about flexing out the suspension.
Can you provide info on what limits the Mojave shocks from reaching their full extension in stock form?

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Can you provide info on what limits the Mojave shocks from reaching their full extension in stock form?
I think it's fine for the shock to extend all the way since there isn't much downward force or energy into it. The limiting strap is to stop the spring from falling out if the shock could extend further than the spring free length.
Sponsored