Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport; 2011 & 2012 Unlimited Jeeps
Occupation
Govt
All,

Last week I had a Rigid Industries 50" Light Bar installed above my windshield. While it looks nice, I am getting alot of wind noise when I get on the Interstate doing 60+ MPH.

I've been to several body shops and they recommended door edge trip to be inserted on the fins (Slendor Metal rows behind the light bar - Looks like a PC Heat Sink that put on PC to displace heat). I tried the door edge trim, but had no impact.

I went out to the Rigid Industries Website and order some damper items (3 for $20), so we will see.

While waiting on those to come in, I wanted to create a post for all to attach their ideas/recommendations, as I know this is an issue for alot of people.

Thinking outside of the box, I was thinking of attaching a metal plate on top or bottom with Magnets, but the light bar casing is plastic.

Another option is for me to move the light bar from my windshield to behind the cab and on top of my safari rack; see thumbnail pic.

Please share and/or attach pics of your light bar w/with the dampening modification.

Thanks in advance,
Kent
Mustang, OK
Sponsored

Tankmix1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
All,

Last week I had a Rigid Industries 50" Light Bar installed above my windshield. While it looks nice, I am getting alot of wind noise when I get on the Interstate doing 60+ MPH.

I've been to several body shops and they recommended door edge trip to be inserted on the fins (Slendor Metal rows behind the light bar - Looks like a PC Heat Sink that put on PC to displace heat). I tried the door edge trim, but had no impact.

I went out to the Rigid Industries Website and order some damper items (3 for $20), so we will see.

While waiting on those to come in, I wanted to create a post for all to attach their ideas/recommendations, as I know this is an issue for alot of people.

Thinking outside of the box, I was thinking of attaching a metal plate on top or bottom with Magnets, but the light bar casing is plastic.

Another option is for me to move the light bar from my windshield to behind the cab and on top of my safari rack; see thumbnail pic.

Please share and/or attach pics of your light bar w/with the dampening modification.

Thanks in advance,
Kent
Mustang, OK
Go inside...realize your losing some throw but they suit my purposes in combo my Mopar flood lights...plus zero noise and don't look bad either IMO
Jeep Gladiator Light Bar w/Noise Dampering straighton

OP
OP
Sno4Me

Sno4Me

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Govt
Go inside...realize your losing some throw but they suit my purposes in combo my Mopar flood lights...plus zero noise and don't look bad either IMO
Very nice.
What brand and/or where did you get your interior lights from?

Do you get any flashback off the interior windshield ?

Tankmix1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Very nice.
What brand and/or where did you get your interior lights from?

Do you get any flashback off the interior windshield ?

Zero...it fights tight against the window...you have an LED and Amber switch...this is from Quadratec...they have a couple of interior options...I personally have not seen any other interior options from other manufacturers but I'm very happy with mine...safe travels

OP
OP
Sno4Me

Sno4Me

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Govt
Zero...it fights tight against the window...you have an LED and Amber switch...this is from Quadratec...they have a couple of interior options...I personally have not seen any other interior options from other manufacturers but I'm very happy with mine...safe travels
Will definitely look into that. May give the 50" Lightbar to either of my 2 teenagers. Appreciate the quick responses and info.. Cheers!

Sponsored

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
I finally removed my 50" bar this weekend after many attempts to silence it, including the latest addition of the aerolidz cover. It cut down the noise a bit, but was still present.

I've come to the conclusion its impossible to quiet a light bar on top of the jeeps steep and flat windshield.

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
I was going to ask on here if anybody had experience with the Aerolidz covers. I’m bummed to hear it didn’t help.

OP
OP
Sno4Me

Sno4Me

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Govt
I was going to ask on here if anybody had experience with the Aerolidz covers. I’m bummed to hear it didn’t help.
Still going to try the Aerolidz cover out as an option, cheaper than buying the Interior Light Bars from Quaditech.. Will post the results of both options I am trying

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I looked hard at that Quadratech internal light bar. Came to the conclusion that I would be narrowing my field of vision even more. I already feel like I am looking out through gunslits in a tank (OK exaggerating a bit but I came from an old LR Discovery that was like driving in fishbowl - prob about as safe too tho...). SO how is the view? Any pics with lights on from the outside and inside you can share?

Tankmix1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I looked hard at that Quadratech internal light bar. Came to the conclusion that I would be narrowing my field of vision even more. I already feel like I am looking out through gunslits in a tank (OK exaggerating a bit but I came from an old LR Discovery that was like driving in fishbowl - prob about as safe too tho...). SO how is the view? Any pics with lights on from the outside and inside you can share?
I'll try to get a few ~dusk so you get a better idea of the lighting in/out plus my iPhone ain't too good in full darkness, but hopefully will answer your questions...give me a few days...safe travels
BTW - I'm 6 ft and the light bar is hardly noticeable to me anyway

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
When I had a 50” light bar on my JKU it was not only loud but I lost around 1.5mpg from it. They look cool but too many compromises when used on a daily driver.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
When I had a 50” light bar on my JKU it was not only loud but I lost around 1.5mpg from it. They look cool but too many compromises when used on a daily driver.
I think you nailed it. Do you really need a light bar on your daily driver? If yes then there are compromises. If you just need some extra light but not willing to accept the compromises (extra noise, mpg kick in the nads, extra theft risk) then there are other options that provide some extra light without the same compromises.

One of the things I like so much about the Jeep platform is the sheer number of options on each issue you are trying to solve for.

OP
OP
Sno4Me

Sno4Me

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Govt
I think you nailed it. Do you really need a light bar on your daily driver? If yes then there are compromises. If you just need some extra light but not willing to accept the compromises (extra noise, mpg kick in the nads, extra theft risk) then there are other options that provide some extra light without the same compromises.

One of the things I like so much about the Jeep platform is the sheer number of options on each issue you are trying to solve for.

Great points and I agree too.
I ordered the Aerolidz Cover and it should be here today; so hopefully that helps some. The noise is only an issue to be when on the Interstate doing 70+ MPH; just have to turn up the radio more.

While I like the Interior Option and would solve the noise/air flow issues, I am 6'2" and need all the visibility that high, so any below my visor is not good for me.

Hopefully the Aerolidz cover helps some. I might check with someone to see if they can fabricate a shield/strip of some sort to go from the bottom of the light bar down to the shield. If I did that, the air flow would be smooth and just go up and over; maybe no noise or less? Just thinking outside the box there....
Sponsored