Sponsored

Locking gas cap available?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I'm not going to go into any more depth on how to defeat it.

Let's just say it's very very easy to do and the valve you're thinking about isn't anywhere near as secure as you think.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Just curious, if any of you are using a aftermarket gas cap that locks, I've had my gas tank door opened by somebody twice in the past week, not sure if somebody it trying to siphon gasoline from my tank or if somebody is just messing with me.....I'd be interested in buying a good, locking gas cap though.
You mean like in these threads?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/locking-gas-cap.55801/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...non-partisan-please-don’t-ban-me.55652/unread

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mopar-key-matching-locking-gas-cap.37627/

OHverland

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I purchased an aftermarket locking gas cap from Advance Auto, threw the check engine light after a day 🤦🏻‍♂️

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pointless. Jeeps have an anti siphon device, and they are just gonna drill a hole in your tank.
I couldn't agree more. You spend $50 on a cap to prevent the theft of $50 worth of fuel.

What are the chances of this happening to you?

99% of the people in this country just assume the filler door is locked and don't know it just takes a push to open it anyway.

Re vandalism. I don't know. When was the last time you heard of someone having something put in their tank.

The only time I know of it happening, first hand, was when a friends estranged wife put maple syrup in his gas tank to try to destroy his engine. And a locking cap wouldn't have helped there because she would have had a key.

And even still, there was syrup down the side of the car, so the guy knew right away.

(Though I can't really blame here. She found out that he had been having an affair for YEARS. So her temporary insanity was kind of justified)

Maybe it seems pointless to me because I live in a nice area where that crap doesn't happen and my Jeep lives in a locked, alarmed garage at night. But it still seems dumb.

Atticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Commercial construction manager
Save your money on locks like above said they will just cut or drill it

instead post this on rack right above tank lid
LOL LOL
Jeep Gladiator Locking gas cap available? A55F3291-AD55-4901-9F54-7AA4A8EB2075

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
For the fob key, so you put the key into the cap, which allows you to remove the cap. Do you then leave the key in the cap while fueling? So the key fob is dangling from the cap as it hangs on the side of the fuel door while pumping? This doesn't seem ideal, thinking a small dedicated key might be less obtrusive?
Once you unlock the cap and turn you can then turn the key back to the lock position and remove the key and Finnish removing the cap w/o the key installed. Then on reinstalling the cap will be locked .

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
$37 from Extreme Terrain. No Check Engine lights, no issues.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Gladiators can easily be siphoned, mine was by a 17 year old kid that lives down the road a couple miles. I know it was him because he left a note. I live in a rural area and it seems I'm always THE GUY to pull someone out of the ditch, jump start, give a couple gallons of gas, whatever. I bought the Mopar locking gas cap that has it's own keys, it's just a regular cheap locking gas cap basically. I put a Stant on my other vehicle and the Mopar is of the same quality. It will stop the opportunistic thief but if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. I have some gas tank repair putty I carry in case I get drilled or bang a small hole in the tank, could be used for temporary radiator fix also. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: KQL
OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
$37 from Extreme Terrain. No Check Engine lights, no issues.
Thanks for this, I bought the Extreme Terrain gas cap and it's perfect. Lock it, and it just spins around. Unlock it, and it will come off and then you can put it back on and lock it. No light on the dash, no problems, and it's half as much as the one at Mopar.

Sponsored

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
The Mopar locking gas cap was over $70 when I checked last week. This one from Extreme Terrain was $35.
I think that you might be quoting the Mopar cap that can be coded to the door key. This one has its own designated key. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I think that you might be quoting the Mopar cap that can be coded to the door key. This one has its own designated key. Sorry for the confusion.
Well...what he told me was that the regular locking gas cap was $70, and getting it coded to the key fob was way more expensive - I think the price he quoted me was $160 for both fobs. So, that's what I was going by.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Well...what he told me was that the regular locking gas cap was $70, and getting it coded to the key fob was way more expensive - I think the price he quoted me was $160 for both fobs. So, that's what I was going by.
You "code" it yourself. I think Quadratec has the video for it. Quite easy to do.
Sponsored