First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 6spd Manual
Occupation
It Manager
Agreed the clutch shouldn't really care where the weight is. @timberwolf0122 if you're considering moving weight around to keep the trailer weight down then you still need to make sure you're not (well) over both GVWR and GCWR - those are what the clutch will worry about. You can optimize to an extent, but there's no free lunch when towing.

I'm in the same boat here looking at a manual Mojave and smallish trailers that I can tow with it, with my growing family inside. The trailers get really heavy really fast.
Fortunately it is just me, the Mrs. and 2 40lb dogs so that's not too bad on cargo however space is something to content with if there's 2 little buttfaces underfoot.
Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
So, for now the Gladiator is going to be our tow vehicle however, we are planning on trading our other car for a larger TV.
Hope this was helpful.
Helpful no, confused yes. That must be a very inexpensive car or a very fancy TV.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
jeeps are not trucks, even the gladiator still a jeep, tow a jeep like trailer imo...even with half tons i was always much happier and felt comfortable towing half of the max tow ratings...having said that the manual is limited by wrangler clutch so just going off the max tow on the platform of 7600 lbs and half that is about 3800 lbs...so the manual can handle that, and even if i had the auto i'd still have the same goal, in fact i had the 2014 ram pentastar 8-speed before this JT and it had a 7200 lb tow rating, blows me away they'd even think to exceed that with the gladiator but i guess the gladiator is likely lighter by the difference in weight...my JT about 500 lbs lighter than my ram was but both basic in options, sport s/slt

i don't get the mindset of trying to push max tow limits, one trip through the mountains and seeing your pentastar pulling 5000 rpm on every hill climb and 10 mpg etc. and feeling like you just did a years worth of engine wear in one trip....tow haul was a nice feature on the ram auto, don't see that on gladiator auto's btw, use manual gear selection and stay approx. 3000 rpm and go up to 4500 on the real hill climbs

i switched to lighter trailer with ram pentastar and now it transferred to jeep gladiator sport-s perfectly, i'm on 37's, with 4.88's, and trailer build at 2700 lb dry, we load up lots of water and fuel and toys (bikes/paddleboards) for a week so we get up to around 3400 lb loaded up then add another 400 in the cab, we fall under all the asks including frontal area and it's a treat to pull, 4th gear (1.1 ratio) will run us around 3000 rpm at 64 mph up and down most hills, can hit 5th on the longer downhills or pick up another 10 mph on the long flats and run same rpm and on the long mountain hill climbs will hit 3rd gear running up to 4200-4500 rpm maintaining 56-59 mph and can accelerate if wanted but that's just how i hold 3rd on the hills, power to spare, rpms aren't bouncing off the limit etc. and pass lots of much more taxed set ups, usually half tons with porky pig trailers

v8 half ton for the 5000+ lb actual rigs imo, just pushing the jeep platform too hard otherwise, regardless of transmission or engine choice, they won't be happy with big frontal area's and more than about 4500 lbs actual including the bodies and gear in the cab/box