Looking at Campers (6spd Sport Manual)

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
That there MAY be an issue, depending on where he is. Enforcement varies from state to state. They may look at the door label and the label on the trailer. They may put them on a scale at the port of entry. They may not even care.
The tow rating isn't on the door. Just the axle ratings and GVWR, and payload

16282024975043114232139793226162.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 6spd Manual
Occupation
It Manager
Thanks all for the feedback. So my Gladiator is on lease, and I have about 18 months left on it, sounds like the best option will be to trade up at the end of the lease. I'll be massively under-mileage so I'll bet I can figure out something with the deal and get a auto with a 6k-7k tow limit.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You need to look at the potable water storage for max gross calculations. The grey tank is empty and the black tank mostly empty when you start with a full tank of drinking water. 350 lbs of water is a LOT DIFFERENT than 775 lbs of water.

SOME trailers have silly high gross ratings, ours has a nominal cargo capacity of 2600 lbs. We don't get within 1000 lbs of that limit. For a trailer with 1000 lb cargo capacity, yes, you'll get there sooner than later.

Based on the link you posted total water capacity is 93 gallons ~= 775lb and the 2 propane tanks weight in at about 75lb. Add the weight of a WDH (~100lb) and a trailer spare tire (~50lb). At this point you still don't have any food, drinks, cuttlery, pots and pans, or BEER! Granted you probably won't travel full but you should make sure you don't get in deep trouble at some point.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Payload in the trailer is 88% on the trailer, not the truck payload, and is FAR more efficient for carrying a load. There is a big difference to a 3500 lb trailer and a 6000 lb trailer.

The clutch is the "fuse" in towing in this situation. The rest of the truck is capable, within the other limits. 500 lbs in the bed instead of the trailer is not saving you anything AT ALL.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the above post came from. I saw you post this initially, but I didn't want to be the first response......

But, I'd tow that trailer all day long with mine! Just throw any payload in the bed, not the trailer.

I tow "3500" pounds all the time with mine on my utility trailer with a 3500lb axle, no issue.

Note sure what these guys are going on about with 6000 ha.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you attempt to tow over towing limits established by the manufacturer it can be considered willful negligence which could relieve all liability of claim by your insurers. You do you.

Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
If you attempt to tow over towing limits established by the manufacturer it can be considered willful negligence which could relieve all liability of claim by your insurers. You do you.
Does that apply to driving over the speed limit too?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The issue with the manual trans in the JL/JT is that they designed it with the lightest pedal effort possible, to make daily driving more pleasurable. Problem with that is the clamping force is lighter, which means the clutch disc will be more prone to slip when working hard, which is why they rated it so low to tow. That's one situation where I would NOT overload the truck if I were you. I'd stay under the rating, actually, if you want your clutch to last.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does that apply to driving over the speed limit too?
If you speed and are in an accident, insurance can deny your claim for knowingly doing so. Not to mention being deemed liable for other damages and fines. Just like talking/texting/under the influence.

Willful negligence = personal liability.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Payload in the trailer is 88% on the trailer, not the truck payload, and is FAR more efficient for carrying a load. There is a big difference to a 3500 lb trailer and a 6000 lb trailer.

The clutch is the "fuse" in towing in this situation. The rest of the truck is capable, within the other limits. 500 lbs in the bed instead of the trailer is not saving you anything AT ALL.
You are right of course that the clutch doesn't care if it's in a trailer or the truck bed, and trailer is much more efficent (hence why I have several different sized utility trailers, and usually use one before loading down a truck bed, even with my F350.

But if you are talking about towing a 4000lb trailer, and have 500 extra pounds of gear as the OP said in his example, throwing it in the bed keeps the trailer at the "rated" limit from FCA, and if that's all you are carrying in the truck, it's still legal too.

Now if any of this "legal" matters when it comes to tow rating, I've read it argued both ways for years, and even heard it varies by state. I won't get in to that aspect of it. Like others have said, it's not on the door sticker.

I'd tow the trailer personally, and not think twice about it. After all, just like you said, every other component on the truck is more than capable.

I live in NC though, not the Rockies. No idea where the OP lives.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It Manager
You are right of course that the clutch doesn't care if it's in a trailer or the truck bed, and trailer is much more efficent (hence why I have several different sized utility trailers, and usually use one before loading down a truck bed, even with my F350.

But if you are talking about towing a 4000lb trailer, and have 500 extra pounds of gear as the OP said in his example, throwing it in the bed keeps the trailer at the "rated" limit from FCA, and if that's all you are carrying in the truck, it's still legal too.

Now if any of this "legal" matters when it comes to tow rating, I've read it argued both ways for years, and even heard it varies by state. I won't get in to that aspect of it. Like others have said, it's not on the door sticker.

I'd tow the trailer personally, and not think twice about it. After all, just like you said, every other component on the truck is more than capable.

I live in NC though, not the Rockies. No idea where the OP lives.
Hi, OP here, I live in Vermont, the pluckiest of all the states. Some mountains but the Rockies they are not.

Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Hi, OP here, I live in Vermont, the pluckiest of all the states. Some mountains but the Rockies they are not.
I'd tow the trailer, claim it weighs the 39XX if ever asked since that's what it says (I've never actually been asked), and roll on with life. I get where others are coming from, but it's under 4000lb, the truck is the exact same truck that can tow 6000+ with the auto, only single difference. The 4000 -> 6000 isn't a safetly thing, it's just worst case gonna cause me to upgrade clutches to a CenterForce aftermarket unit if I happen to kill the stock soft one.

Even at 4500lb, it's still WELL under what all other Gladiators are rated to tow, so don't see it raising eyebrows. The other side of this that cause the issues are the guys towing 8,000-10,000lb with a 6000lb rating, which we all know happens too. And often without functioning trailer brakes ha..... 🙈

Now I don't go to remote spots to RV, always have hookups where we setup, so I do drain my fresh/gray/black tanks before towing, and that's gonna be most of the extra weight if left full.

Each their own though, just a different perspective..... flame suit on! ;)

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
OP, I live in Ohio. Could you tell me what pluckiest means? Never heard it used before.

OP
OP
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It Manager
OP, I live in Ohio. Could you tell me what pluckiest means? Never heard it used before.
as in to be plucky as in intrepid and brave. Also weird, VT is always in or close to the top or bottom o of every statistic

Reactions: KVJ

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Thanks all for the feedback. So my Gladiator is on lease, and I have about 18 months left on it, sounds like the best option will be to trade up at the end of the lease. I'll be massively under-mileage so I'll bet I can figure out something with the deal and get a auto with a 6k-7k tow limit.
To be sure, you need to get a Sport or Sport S with Max tow, Rubicon , Mojave, or Overland automatic if you plan on towing heavier loads.

The sport/s without max tow is rated at 4,500 lbs, with regular tow package, not much more than yours. The Sport (S) gets 7650 with Max Tow, automatic Rubicon gets 7000 with the tow package, Overland and Mojave automatic gets 6k, Rubicon and Mojave manual get 4500, other manuals get 4k. Also pay attention to GCWR. Mine on my manual Rubi is 10k, but other trims get more or less. I don't have the combination weight numbers handy for all trims, but you should look into that as well if you plan on carrying payload while towing.

Also, I don't know how much of a camper you're looking for, but check these out. They have a few that are well within the limit of your current ride.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I think you would have a hard time finding any documented case of ticket being written or insurance denied for towing over the limit by a couple thousand pounds especially where there are JTs rated to tow more than the amount in question with a different transmission. Seen it mentioned many times on different forums but never any proof.
Sponsored