Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
(Subject)…. If you know…. Then you know…. 🤣😂🤣

on a serious note! Picked up plastic rivets and a cheap tool at harbor freight to get a job done temporarily.
No joke- 75% of the rivets broke while installing, tool was equally as frustrating for such a simple tool…

Looking for some recommendations on a decent tool and where to buy decent rivets…. I could see buying these rivets in the 1-200 quantity….

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
(Subject)…. If you know…. Then you know…. 🤣😂🤣

on a serious note! Picked up plastic rivets and a cheap tool at harbor freight to get a job done temporarily.
No joke- 75% of the rivets broke while installing, tool was equally as frustrating for such a simple tool…

Looking for some recommendations on a decent tool and where to buy decent rivets…. I could see buying these rivets in the 1-200 quantity….

Thanks in advance!
I bought my factory rivets from Quadratec and gun on Amazon

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The HF gun works, but I got my rivets from Amazon after trouble with a few of the HF rivets. Plus, HF is a bit of a drive for me. The heads of the Amazon rivets are a tiny bit smaller but they work great. I used them to install my splash guards and replace one of the rivets holding the fender liner in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6JXC4Q

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
The HF gun works, but I got my rivets from Amazon after trouble with a few of the HF rivets. Plus, HF is a bit of a drive for me. The heads of the Amazon rivets are a tiny bit smaller but they work great. I used them to install my splash guards and replace one of the rivets holding the fender liner in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6JXC4Q
My issue with the HF rivet gun- the river ends would break off and then get stuck in the “jaws”…. Was able to disassemble the tool completely and get done with the job for today. But a better/more reliable option will be purchased in the future.

I’ll see what Amazon has and possibly throw some money at Bezos…

Thanks.

If anyone else has had great success! Feel free to share!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My issue with the HF rivet gun- the river ends would break off and then get stuck in the “jaws”…. Was able to disassemble the tool completely and get done with the job for today
You must have gotten a bad one - mine has never caused that issue. Every "stem" drops out when I release it.
I've used it quite a bit, it's yet to happen to me. But like anything else, there can be bad ones among the good ones, or I got lucky LOL.
I used it to put the splash guards on my 2020, then to put them on my 2022 - that's about 12 POM rivets per truck for that - then there's the POM rivets in the steel bumper, something like 8 or so on that, the fender liner, etc.

Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
The big box home improvement stores sell wall anchors which work. Look for the ones which go into a thin panel. They take a screw. You can replace with stainless. They are reusable.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Go on Amazon.. I just bought a bag of blind plastic rivets and a rivet gun they worked perfect
Jeep Gladiator Looking for OEM Plastic Rivets Screenshot_20221014-194256_Amazon Shoppin

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like the amazon link already posted?

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
The big box home improvement stores sell wall anchors which work. Look for the ones which go into a thin panel. They take a screw. You can replace with stainless. They are reusable.
Link please… and pictures if you’ve got some!

Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
For example:

Toggler

There seem to be several brands. Be sure you get the size for thin materials. And some stainless screws.

One disadvantage is that you have shiny screws visible in the wheel well. But they install with a screw driver and are reusable.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For example:

Toggler

There seem to be several brands. Be sure you get the size for thin materials. And some stainless screws.

One disadvantage is that you have shiny screws visible in the wheel well. But they install with a screw driver and are reusable.
I have a 2020 JTR and have had my liner out to replace my aux. battery and have no shiny screws? It does have 3 ten mm bolts, push clips, and 4 plastic rivets that need to be removed and reinstalled but no screws.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get my clips and rivets from here https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/default.asp

As for the tool thinking it was from Harbor Freight. and has worked for me.
The rivets from Amazon, as link posted, match very closely with the OEM POM rivets used around the edges of the fender, the POM rivets that hold the MOPAR splash guards on (the Amazon POM rivets hold my splash guards on) and other places where Jeep used POM rivets - like the plastic inserts in the ends of the MOPAR steel Rubicon bumper - those are POM rivets and the Amazon POM rivets hold the plastic pieces in my steel bumper. They work just as well as originals and look like them. And since there's no real need to take them apart and put them back together on a regular basis - unless you tear your bumper apart or take the black edge off your fenders every so often, cinch and done. The HF tool works, their POM rivets are sort of ok, but the ones from Amazon beat them handily, plus, 50 or 100 or more in a batch for a few bucks.

For example:

Toggler

Those are fine but don't look anything like the OEM POM rivets like used where you can see them - so you'd need to take out all POM rivets and replace all of them with those to make it look right.
We're talking the plastic - POM - rivets, not the clips that hold the fenders to the truck.

As far as the screws - yeah, stainless hands-down, but the solution to the "silver look" is so simple it's crazy - POWER COAT 'em, or use something like VHT SP652 on the screws. The powder coat would last for a very very long time, the paint not quite as long but I've used the VHT SP652 on the door lock bezels and other trim on my show car - 2 or 3 years ago and to this day it all looks like I did it yesterday.
The "toggler" clips also won't work in all places because of their sheer size on the back. Only POM rivets will work in some locations - like a couple of spots where the splash guards are held on, and in the spots in the steel front bumper - there's barely room for the backs of the POM rivets to fit when cinched. The spot is about the diameter of my finger on the back side - I can think of some places only a POM rivet will work.

2 POM rivets on each fog light bezel, like the kind being asked about by the OP - used in the Rubicon steel bumper -
(I am using a grip depth a bit wrong for the Jeep application so the stem breaks off a bit proud of the rivet head)

Jeep Gladiator Looking for OEM Plastic Rivets 20221015_091707

Three at the back on each side hold the plastic piece in the bumper's removable ends -

Jeep Gladiator Looking for OEM Plastic Rivets 20221015_091719_HDR

Factory POM rivet upper right - and mine holding the splash guard on, and I've replaced a couple of the factory POM rivets that got damaged with the ones I ordered from Amazon. Again, I clicked too fast and got the wrong grip length - so the stems on mine sit proud but they can be trimmed off with a razor knife, etc.
Nice thing is they look factory so no one will know you've been taking stuff apart.
I was just in a hurry and didn't trim these nicely. I need to re-order and choose a different length next time. But a few bucks for a bag of 100, set 'em and walk away, can't beat it!

When you want to remove the parts, drive the center pin in and through and pull the part off

Jeep Gladiator Looking for OEM Plastic Rivets 20221015_091735_HDR

Being all plastic, they look stock, they will never rust, and auto makers have used them for years - GM, Ford, Jeep, etc. so they are a dime a dozen at many places (except Jeep dealers, there, they are a probably 40 bucks a dozen)
Sponsored