Looking for opinions on tonneau cover

mclousing

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
As with any internet forum there is a wealth of information on everything (some right some wrong). BUt hoping this is an easy one. I currently have two swing out bed boxes, and I loved them until last night. Last night the screws that hold the front of hte boxes to the sidewall pulled out and left a nice 1 to 2 inch ripped out steel in the bed. So I am now done with those boxes.

I did a lot of reading on this box for bed storage, and the consensus seems to be to get heavy duty storage boxes or pack out type boxes from local hardware store and strap those down in the bed. With that I would like to get a tonneau cover to add a level of security, and they were not possible with the swing out cases. Since there is a plethera of choices out there, I think i narrowed it down to Rough Country Jeep Gladiator Hard Tri-Fold Flip-Up Tonneau Cover 49620500 (20-24 Jeep Gladiator JT) - Free Shipping (extremeterrain.com) , since it gives the highest level of access to the bed. Any issues or concerns with that cover?
Sponsored

El_conquistador

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Numbers and such
I would not hesitate to buy it. From the research I did it’s a very nice unit. I went with a Gator as it was $100 cheaper but I almost pulled the trigger on the rough country myself.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
depending on your timeline and location I'll have a Backflip MX4 for sale around half that price this summer. probably July?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Timing is everything

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I have a Bakflip X4s and really like it, but if I do it again I might get retractable roll up one.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retractable is just easier if you use your truck as a truck

OP
OP
mclousing

mclousing

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Don't you loose 6 inches in the bed where it rolls up. Yes I know the tri told also consume space, but they are easy to fully remove.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Don't you loose 6 inches in the bed where it rolls up. Yes I know the tri told also consume space, but they are easy to fully remove.
The ease to remove makes all the difference

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
When it comes to covers, strictly China made for me. They all do the same thing.
Jeep Gladiator Looking for opinions on tonneau cover IMG_6410

I’m sure the RC one will be great though 👍🏻

Sponsored

Stuntman Mike

First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTOD, 2005 TJ 4.0, 1980 MB 450 SLC
Occupation
Rotating Equipment Consultant
I am quite happy with my original tri fold and would select it (or something similar) again.

Retractable might be more handy but has the disadvantage that it can be opened with a knife.

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Had a roll-up, then my wife got me a trifold, and now my roll-up is back on because we’re renovating (again) and rolling up is easier to do than remove/reinstall/remove/reinstall.
I am quite happy with my original tri fold and would select it (or something similar) again.

Retractable might be more handy but has the disadvantage that it can be opened with a knife.
This is why I want my next tonneau to be a hard roll-up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Which can be opened with a screwdriver........ no cover other than something extremely solid, non-folding, non-rolling, etc. is all that protective.

Love my stock MOPAR cover - you can actually even leave it in place with a lot of truck tents, but 2 screws and it will pop off the truck if desired.

Neighbor had a trifold and hated it - he tried to give it away. We chatted about it a while and his experiences made me decide I'd not own one.

People shouldn't think anything other than a solid, one-piece cover is any security at all.

ColaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
As with any internet forum there is a wealth of information on everything (some right some wrong). BUt hoping this is an easy one. I currently have two swing out bed boxes, and I loved them until last night. Last night the screws that hold the front of hte boxes to the sidewall pulled out and left a nice 1 to 2 inch ripped out steel in the bed. So I am now done with those boxes.

I did a lot of reading on this box for bed storage, and the consensus seems to be to get heavy duty storage boxes or pack out type boxes from local hardware store and strap those down in the bed. With that I would like to get a tonneau cover to add a level of security, and they were not possible with the swing out cases. Since there is a plethera of choices out there, I think i narrowed it down to Rough Country Jeep Gladiator Hard Tri-Fold Flip-Up Tonneau Cover 49620500 (20-24 Jeep Gladiator JT) - Free Shipping (extremeterrain.com) , since it gives the highest level of access to the bed. Any issues or concerns with that cover?
I’ve had three of the roll up covers and had problems with all of them. They shift and become misaligned over time. The vinyl also rolled back and they eventually don’t lay flat. I switched to the roll lock cover and love it. It keeps everything dry and doesn’t block the rear window. The ability to add rails is nice as well.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for opinions on tonneau cover IMG_0078

OP
OP
mclousing

mclousing

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Ho hard is it to remove the retractable ones. I was focused on tri told since had that on my ram 1500, and my son and I could remove it (except for the rails in about 2 minutes. 5 minutes to put back on.
Sponsored