Loose Steering Fixed

royceda59832

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (to be delivered)
When I bought my JT, I knew of and expected loose steering. However, after taking it home and getting used to it for several weeks, I still was not comfortable with how the steering reacted to inputs. I had a solid 3”-4” of travel in the steering wheel before ANY response was transmitted to the wheels. Car drifting to the right? Turn the wheel 4.5” to the left to correct. Correct too far? Turn the wheel 4.5” to the right again. Driving straight turned into a cartoonish comedy. This is not normal behavior for any vehicle - this is indicative that, whether through accumulation or otherwise, there is too much tolerance between the steering wheel input and the wheels. The most likely culprit in my situation was the steering box, and this ended up also being the easiest fix.

An image and description of the steering box can be found at the link below, posted by the user TL&JL. You’ll need a 15mm wrench and a T25 (or equivalent hex). Loosen the 15mm nut and tighten the hex - I started with 1/8 but ended up tightening the hex a full 1/2 turn before I was happy. I used a T25 attached to a 1/4” socket, since my allen wrench was flexing too much when trying to turn the hex. The original position of the two screws was marked by the factory in case I ever need to return to factory settings. I did not have to heat anything or disassemble/remove any parts to access the steering box.

After this adjustment, the steering reacts as a Jeep with two live axles is expected to react. The steering isn’t 100% precise, but you can tell there is only maybe 1/2” of dead space before there is a reaction from the wheels. Once you’re past the dead spot, you can feel the other driveline components start to react and whatever other tolerances from the bushings etc come into play, but the wheels actually do start to turn almost immediately.

Link to photo and additional description of the steering box: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-tighten-steering.9041/page-6#post-219185

This was my story of fixing my loose steering. The same fix may not work for you or may have negative results. Use this information at your own risk. Some posters state that you will ruin your steering gears by putting too much stress on them, or that your wheel will not automatically return to center. Be aware of these risks and adjust accordingly. After the adjustment, my wheel returns to center the same if not easier than prior to adjusting. This was on a Sport S with Rubicon (Falken Wildpeak) rims and tires. No lift. Changing from the original Sport S wheels/tires to Rubicon wheels/tires prior to the adjustment had no impact on the looseness of the steering (i.e. steering was just as loose with the Sport S wheels as it was with the Rubicon wheels prior to adjustment of the steering box).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubion "LE"
Bump as this is worth a try. Did wonders on my wife’s JL

TEXGOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The steering is not supposed to be loose and it should not wander or pull. If you do attempt to adjust the preload on your steering box, be sure to have the wheels pointed straight ahead. That is, have the steering centered between locks. This is very important. Do NOT overtighten the adjusting screw! Do tighten the lock nut securely, making sure that you don't change your adjustment when doing so. Any steering box I've ever had will have free play when turned left or right from center. That's normal. They usually have a lot of play when turned to lock or anyhere near it. You must make any adjustment and any checks of play with the steering box centered bewteen locks. (Straight ahead)

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When I bought my JT, I knew of and expected loose steering. However, after taking it home and getting used to it for several weeks, I still was not comfortable with how the steering reacted to inputs. I had a solid 3”-4” of travel in the steering wheel before ANY response was transmitted to the wheels. Car drifting to the right? Turn the wheel 4.5” to the left to correct. Correct too far? Turn the wheel 4.5” to the right again. Driving straight turned into a cartoonish comedy. This is not normal behavior for any vehicle - this is indicative that, whether through accumulation or otherwise, there is too much tolerance between the steering wheel input and the wheels. The most likely culprit in my situation was the steering box, and this ended up also being the easiest fix.

An image and description of the steering box can be found at the link below, posted by the user TL&JL. You’ll need a 15mm wrench and a T25 (or equivalent hex). Loosen the 15mm nut and tighten the hex - I started with 1/8 but ended up tightening the hex a full 1/2 turn before I was happy. I used a T25 attached to a 1/4” socket, since my allen wrench was flexing too much when trying to turn the hex. The original position of the two screws was marked by the factory in case I ever need to return to factory settings. I did not have to heat anything or disassemble/remove any parts to access the steering box.

After this adjustment, the steering reacts as a Jeep with two live axles is expected to react. The steering isn’t 100% precise, but you can tell there is only maybe 1/2” of dead space before there is a reaction from the wheels. Once you’re past the dead spot, you can feel the other driveline components start to react and whatever other tolerances from the bushings etc come into play, but the wheels actually do start to turn almost immediately.

Link to photo and additional description of the steering box: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-tighten-steering.9041/page-6#post-219185

This was my story of fixing my loose steering. The same fix may not work for you or may have negative results. Use this information at your own risk. Some posters state that you will ruin your steering gears by putting too much stress on them, or that your wheel will not automatically return to center. Be aware of these risks and adjust accordingly. After the adjustment, my wheel returns to center the same if not easier than prior to adjusting. This was on a Sport S with Rubicon (Falken Wildpeak) rims and tires. No lift. Changing from the original Sport S wheels/tires to Rubicon wheels/tires prior to the adjustment had no impact on the looseness of the steering (i.e. steering was just as loose with the Sport S wheels as it was with the Rubicon wheels prior to adjustment of the steering box).
Thanks Mark
This is a very helpful post. About 1972. I fixed loose steering in Volvos. I haven't had the courage to touch my steering box in our Jeep.

edit: back and reading to find more clues...this is a new post on this forum.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ts-creaking-clicking-noise.32669/#post-529754

Last edited:

Icehouse

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I recently purchased a JT Mojave and it seems “loose” on the highway. It wonders from left to right while the steering wheel is straight. These is my third Jeep, so I’m familiar with their performance, but it seems excessive. Any recommendations?

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I mentioned that I had loose steering to my dealership this weekend when I was getting an oil change and they took it out and got an alignment done...it was insanely sloppy on the numbers. Took it out last night and it was a noticable difference. I am very happy with the way it feels now.

Not again

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Test drove before buying. It was horrendous!
Told the dealer this is not the Jeep for us.
Dealer called and offered to fix it, I agreed to go back for a second test drive.
It was perfect. According to the service manager they did an alignment and lowered the tires to 36PSI.
Fingers crossed it stays this way!

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Test drove before buying. It was horrendous!
Told the dealer this is not the Jeep for us.
Dealer called and offered to fix it, I agreed to go back for a second test drive.
It was perfect. According to the service manager they did an alignment and lowered the tires to 36PSI.
Fingers crossed it stays this way!

Good for you, I'm 0 for 2 in trying this strategy on a JL (18months ago) and 4? months (pre-covid) ago on a JT, told I would purchase if they fixed and to give me a call so I can verify. They never called back... I'm tempted to test another JT and a different dealer. Seems like it is about 5-10% that have the problem. One thing is for sure, it's almost impossible to get it fixed once you take possession.

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
I mentioned that I had loose steering to my dealership this weekend when I was getting an oil change and they took it out and got an alignment done...it was insanely sloppy on the numbers. Took it out last night and it was a noticable difference. I am very happy with the way it feels now.
@Br4hm4 can you post your alignment sheet?

I had mine aligned today and something kinda stands out.

Attachments

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Is your lifted? If so, what lift? You definitely could use more caster, but it’s not out of factory spec by much. What was the reason you had the alignment checked (to prevent me from having to research too far back)? It appears that they didn’t need to adjust anything.

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer

I'll have to get it when I get home. But sure thing.

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
Is your lifted? If so, what lift? You definitely could use more caster, but it’s not out of factory spec by much. What was the reason you had the alignment checked (to prevent me from having to research too far back)? It appears that they didn’t need to adjust anything.
No lift. My steering has been bad (loose), but I was more concerned about my wheel being off about 3* to the right. The Synergy sector shaft brace and fox steering stabilizer have helped the steering tremendously. The stabilizer on there now just seems tight enough that it keeps things straight for longer, so wheel input isn’t needed as often.

I’m arguing with the dealership about the side that is below 4*. Not so concerned about the cross-caster. The note that it should be no less than 4 is what’s making me a little feisty with them.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: