Wrangler/Gladiator Loose Steering

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
Can someone explain to me the "issue" with the loose steering? As this will be my first Jeep, Im not quite understanding it. Is this something that has been around for a while or is this a new issue?
Btw, I would youtube this issue, but its blocked at my location.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know if it’s the same issues, but Jeeps have been having steering problems since the JK (2007), ..Maybe before, but I’m not super familiar with any issues from the models before the JK.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New Fox steering stabilizer and airing the tires down from the 50+ pounds they come with from the factory improved it quite a bit. Still some slight wander but nothing like it was.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just put my Fox 2.0 TS steering stabilizer on yesterday, and the 15 miles or so I drove were night & day difference from before. It really does help ALOT! It’s not a cure-all, but it’s a huge difference. Search the forum and you’ll see my post from yesterday in the Fox steering stabilizer thread in the suspension sub-section of the tech section of the forum.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
As others have said and if you read the steering link above you will get an idea. In a nutshell, No it is not something all vehicles come with. 2. Test drive the one you want to buy if it drives fine most likely you are all good. 3 if yours develops an issue be sure to check inflation and for loose bolts or worn equipment, maybe add a steering stabilizer 4. It is electric steering and solid front axle (SFA) so there is some differences between SFA and independent front suspension (IFS) vehicles.

Icehouse

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I recently purchased a JT Mojave and it seems “loose” on the highway. It wonders from left to right while the steering wheel is straight. These is my third Jeep, so I’m familiar with their performance, but it seems excessive. Any recommendations?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Mojave has the same amount of lift over the Sport as the Rubicon does. I took my JTR to my favorite suspension shop to have them tell me what the deal was with the wandery steering. They said insufficient caster was being covered up by excessive toe-in with the factory alignment specs.

That gave me a good data point, and my point of reference changed to the caster change caused by the lift over the stock Gladiator. The lower control arms are the same length as the Sport, despite the difference in ride height, which borks the caster. On my 97 Ranger, to get caster back where it needed to be after lifting I got cut and turned I beams, which wasn't THAT expensive. Dramatic improvement, good enough for an 8" lift, which wasn't necessary.

From posts by LJ owners, I got turned on to the LCA's from the Mopar 2" factory lift. SUPER CHEAP at $60/pair. Mine get here next Monday. There is concern about front pinion angle, but the axle disconnect actually comes in handy for mitigating that. I contacted Benny at @AllMoparParts.com to arrange a shipping discount for two of part number 68322798AA https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

Any adjustable LCA should do the same job, but until I settle on a lift this is a promising cheap fix. It's a small adjustment, but I am hopeful of resolving the vague steering / poor tracking at highway speeds. Also, with 2000 miles coming up, you do kind of get used to it. Looking forward to getting UN-USED to it!

I recently purchased a JT Mojave and it seems “loose” on the highway. It wonders from left to right while the steering wheel is straight. These is my third Jeep, so I’m familiar with their performance, but it seems excessive. Any recommendations?

drkshaw

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Occupation
Emergency Management
Oddly, my steering has gotten better. It was never very bad to begin with, but over the last month or so, it has noticeably improved. I have 5600 miles on a JTR, stock wheels and M/T tires and suspension. The steering drift is almost to the point of not being noticeable anymore. Almost...

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
On the JL side there are a lot of opinions that are given that absolutely cure it for them but not for most others. Jeep put out a new steering stabilizer to try to appease people. Nothing works consistently.

Dead spots of 3" to 4" are rare if they do exist. Videos taken by people that swear it is terrible shows they hardly do any correction. Solid axles, big tires, lifts, suspension changes can have some effect on making steering different from a Porsche but not as bad as a big truck.

Bronco steering will be absolutely spot on but it is IFS. Harder to do a lift on those though.

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I put a Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 stabillizer on and in the medium and firm settings it exacerbates my "dead spot" issue. A lot more correction is needed to stay in the lane. Pretty bothersome, especially when I had high hopes for the stabilizer. It wasn't a pain to install, but I certainly don't want to take it out. I'd rather have my steering box be tighter...

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I put a Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 stabillizer on and in the medium and firm settings it exacerbates my "dead spot" issue. A lot more correction is needed to stay in the lane. Pretty bothersome, especially when I had high hopes for the stabilizer. It wasn't a pain to install, but I certainly don't want to take it out. I'd rather have my steering box be tighter...
Interesting, I just put the same stabilizer on my self and it makes my steering seem worse than with stock ss I really had almost no complaints, I still haven’t tried soft setting but may try it tomorrow morning, may put the stock one back on to compare again which I’d hate to do

3Dirty

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Sting Gray
I'm in the same boat... my wife hates it, lol
Sponsored