First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JTR Diesel
Occupation
Tech
I had my first eco diesel in a Grand Cherokee about 5yrs ago. I put 185k miles on it and never had an issue. Now I have it in my Gladiator. Well worth it.
Did you do any deletes or tunes? Or is that 185k stock miles? That would be impressive.
Sponsored

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Wait until it break due to Chrysler workmanship
proper and regular preventative maintenance should do the trick. Same for ford, Chevy etc. and yes, there are the few flukes.

maddocmuc

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Physician
Vehicle Showcase
400 miles? Be prepared to hearing the sound change from a shy clattering to a beefy groal at about 1.000 miles and to see the mileage significantly rise.
The other day I had to floor the pedal a bit to get out of a stupid situation, was going at about 10 mph at a traffic light and wanted to turn left. Underestimated the speed of oncoming traffic. When I floored it with only rear wheel drive, the car went into a clean and nicely controllable drift while literally jumping forward. All this on dry tarmac. Very impressiveā€¦.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
400 miles? Be prepared to hearing the sound change from a shy clattering to a beefy groal at about 1.000 miles and to see the mileage significantly rise.
The other day I had to floor the pedal a bit to get out of a stupid situation, was going at about 10 mph at a traffic light and wanted to turn left. Underestimated the speed of oncoming traffic. When I floored it with only rear wheel drive, the car went into a clean and nicely controllable drift while literally jumping forward. All this on dry tarmac. Very impressiveā€¦.
Yeah, Iā€™m surprised at how many times the traction control light turns on the dash when I roll on the throttle. And itā€™s only going to get better?šŸ˜

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
I just crossed 12,500, and I am absolutely loving this rig. Noise is not an issue at all. Slight awareness at stop, but it disappears beneath wind noise after 40 mph or so. I got the Mopar 2" lift and 35" BFG KO2s on a Ruby, and I average almost 26 mpg on the highway and 21+ overall.

It's quick, it pulls hard (especially from a roll, admittedly a little sluggish off the line) and it's smooth as silk at low and high speed. This is my first diesel and my first Jeep, and my experience so far with both is far above anything I expected, and I came in with some high expectations. Enjoy!

Sponsored

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I have been traveling around the world for 20 years drooling at diesel Toyota Tacomas and Land Rover defender trucks crushing the outdoors while they get hi 20ā€™s and low 30ā€™s mpg. I finally have a US version. Thank you Jeep for finally making us a damn fine functional, efficient outdoor vehicle! I towed 13k with it 2 weeks ago for 200 miles through mountain passes getting 13mpg. If my 90 mile daily commute wasnā€™t over 3 passes I would be getting in the mid to low 30ā€™s. Instead I suffer 26-28mpg. I felt so sad selling my Tacoma(leaving my 18mpg on a good day behind) to buy my Jeepā€¦šŸ˜‚. Oh, and did I mention I have a front locker, too!!! She is a beast!

dukecola

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Occupation
Campground Owner
I had my first eco diesel in a Grand Cherokee about 5yrs ago. I put 185k miles on it and never had an issue. Now I have it in my Gladiator. Well worth it.
I too had a early Grand Cherokee with the eco, only problem was the DPF. Sent my daughter and son to MI to pick up a motorcycle. On the way back in NY, it totally clogged and would not go over 30mph. NY dealer said it's the filter, It was still under warranty but they couldn't order one as the DPF was a "New England" Only part. So they had to milk it home at 30mph. That was my only issue in the 6 yrs I had it. I also had the eco in my 16 RAM1500. It was a POS. Took 2-yrs to get the emissions settlement, then the terrible software update caused problems, then the EGR cooler recall. It was dumping 1/2Gal anti-freeze into the intake every 40mi. They said I couldn't drive it as it would likely catch on fire. This was in Nov and the parts were not going to be avail to April-May. Yea, they offered a free rental but it wasn't a 4wd truck. I needed a 4wd for winter so I unloaded the POS and lost 10k value because of that recall. Sure the 30mpg was nice, but no way I was going to buy any vehicle with that engine in it, even if it was an updated version.

JDawg11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubi Diesel
I hear you. EPA screwed everyone thanks to Obama. VW had it worse.
your issue with the GC was likely the DEF (30%urea solution) froze up. Happens. This motor is sick with Banks Derringer
I too had a early Grand Cherokee with the eco, only problem was the DPF. Sent my daughter and son to MI to pick up a motorcycle. On the way back in NY, it totally clogged and would not go over 30mph. NY dealer said it's the filter, It was still under warranty but they couldn't order one as the DPF was a "New England" Only part. So they had to milk it home at 30mph. That was my only issue in the 6 yrs I had it. I also had the eco in my 16 RAM1500. It was a POS. Took 2-yrs to get the emissions settlement, then the terrible software update caused problems, then the EGR cooler recall. It was dumping 1/2Gal anti-freeze into the intake every 40mi. They said I couldn't drive it as it would likely catch on fire. This was in Nov and the parts were not going to be avail to April-May. Yea, they offered a free rental but it wasn't a 4wd truck. I needed a 4wd for winter so I unloaded the POS and lost 10k value because of that recall. Sure the 30mpg was nice, but no way I was going to buy any vehicle with that engine in it, even if it was an updated version.
Sponsored