Sponsored

Engine Failure

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Hey, Russ - are these "interference engines". Old-timer like you will know what I mean.
Some are, some aren't. Interference engines are pretty nasty after a timing chain loss while non-interference engines simply stop.

And please refresh me - since I've not owned a diesel since my farm years..........
I may be remembering incorrectly, but it seems my 1086 simply stopped running when it was out of fuel (yeah, I thought I could make it until lunch and then take it back to the house.)
Then there was a John Deere that sounded like it was going to blow when it had fuel issues.
Which is normal, which am I remembering incorrectly?
Im not @Rusty PW but yes, they are interference. Gen 2 I read had a couple cam slip issues but it seems that was solved. With it being a chain it should be reliable.
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Completed some work recently involving a tune and exhaust mods. The tuner said to run 3 to 5oz. of lubricant at each fill-up when using U.S. diesel. From him:

"Yes I personally rotate between Amsoil all in one, arch oil ar6500 and hot shots edt. Periodically I will use Lucas upper cyl lube or Power Service or Optilube."

Sounds like the brand isn't as important as ensuring a hefty dose of some reputable lubricant is used. I too have been running products exclusively from Hot Shot. I ended up grabbing quart sized jugs of LX4 & EDT directly from Hot Shot. Both can be had for $49 shipped if using a 10% coupon code (last I used was HSSTEN and still seems to be valid).

I mix them 50/50 using a refillable 16oz. EDT style flask that I found on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM5FI5I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_K8SFZCGFNK03RR9JJNHS

quick_shot.jpg

I might mix it up and try some other brands but currently just shy of 50k miles and it has been happy. Been running lube since new but not in the above dosages, I didn't learn until around 30k miles just how poorly our diesel lubricates.
I use 2oz of EDT at every fill up. I usually purchase it at wally world because it is cheaper there than anywhere else locally, but it makes me sick to my stomach to shop there... so thanks for the heads-up on the HotShot website coupon. I just purchased a gallon of EDT and LX4 along with a 16oz bottle of diesel extreme. It gives me a better piece of mind using the products. I should be set for awhile. Did you have any issues mixing the EDT/LX4 together ? Does it separate or seem to stay mixed ? I wonder if you can refill the EDT 16oz squeeze bottle that measures out 1oz ? Or did you find you absolutely needed to buy the shot bottle off Amazon ? Thanks

Last edited:

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Did you have any issues mixing the EDT/LX4 together ? Does it separate or seem to stay mixed ? I wonder if you can refill the 16oz squeeze bottle that measures out 1oz ? Or did you find you absolutely needed to but the shot bottle off Amazon ? Thanks
No issues mixing at all, it doesn't seem to even try to separate. I suspect that is due to EDT containing some LX4 already.

Refilling the EDT dispensing bottle itself would be a PITA given it doesn't offer a second cap to fill the holding area. The shot bottle allows me to freely pour into it from the quart containers of LX4/EDT and done. It's a full 16oz which lasts awhile too.

OP
OP

Dartman48

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired
Tough Day, my ecoDeisel failed yesterday. 2022 JT with 14,031 miles. My years of engine related experience leads me to timing chain failure, which usually results in lots of internal damage. Itā€™s at Anderson CJDR in Lake Havasu City waiting for ā€œassessmentā€. And Iā€™m waiting for the call.
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 with ED, and put 74k miles without a hiccup. Not so lucky here.
Hereā€˜s an update to Engine Failure.
Iā€™m a week into this saga, and have very little to add.
I have Chrysler Corp involved, and thanks for that. The dealership has been of little help so far. Iā€™m in a rental vehicle covered by the dealer, but I donā€™t know how long that will last. At this moment, I donā€™t have a ā€œdiagnosisā€ of the ā€œcrank but fail to startā€ that was stated on the Service Writers report. Even worse, calls to the Service Dept go to voicemail and are unanswered.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
It died with a good amount of knocking and clunking. I canā€™t imagine that the noise I heard was a fuel starving issue. But, I say that without any experience with high pressure pump failure.
I had a c4 pump let loose, it's a very dull pop, engine shuts off and the jeep goes quiet......

(Destroys everything from the tank to the injectors)

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Hereā€˜s an update to Engine Failure.
Iā€™m a week into this saga, and have very little to add.
I have Chrysler Corp involved, and thanks for that. The dealership has been of little help so far. Iā€™m in a rental vehicle covered by the dealer, but I donā€™t know how long that will last. At this moment, I donā€™t have a ā€œdiagnosisā€ of the ā€œcrank but fail to startā€ that was stated on the Service Writers report. Even worse, calls to the Service Dept go to voicemail and are unanswered.
This is pretty typical, the dealers usually don't play well with answering the phone for some silly reason. Time to stop by it sounds like.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure to enjoy the rental while it lasts lol

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Would deleting the emissions crap solve these issues?

Asking for my friend in SoCar
No, total opposite sides of the engine.

EPA might come after a friend for this type of thing tooā€¦ just fyi.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is pretty typical, the dealers usually don't play well with answering the phone for some silly reason. Time to stop by it sounds like.
That's the sad state of things even if you have no gripe but are calling to just talk or even thank someone.

Gotcha, and he's fine, he's not even ready to look at cars, plus I'd never post info about him in public
Emissions have almost nothing to do with most failures - diesel or gas. They get blamed and hated but it's more of a mpg or HP thing. They don't typically blow things up or cause catastrophic damage.

Doesn't matter if any names are discussed - the EPA, although going after commercial entities, and big rigs for the most part, have made it clear - they won't hesitate to go after smaller fish, either.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
That's the sad state of things even if you have no gripe but are calling to just talk or even thank someone.

Emissions have almost nothing to do with most failures - diesel or gas. They get blamed and hated but it's more of a mpg or HP thing. They don't typically blow things up or cause catastrophic damage.

Doesn't matter if any names are discussed - the EPA, although going after commercial entities, and big rigs for the most part, have made it clear - they won't hesitate to go after smaller fish, either.
How would they find you though if you keep your mouth shut?

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
How would they find you though if you keep your mouth shut?
They would go to mikef's instagram account, find as much personal info about him as possible, then start trawling other social media sites for parallels or similar information until mikef slipped up and posted himself rolling coal to his buddies to show how cool he was. Then they would have probable cause to talk to mikef.

It's kind a like the criminal always returns to the scene of the crime, a unchoked oil burner loves to talk about how he bucked the system.... ;)
Sponsored