Sponsored

Lower control arms. How to determine new length needed for lift?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for info or a formula for how much to lengthen adjustable control arms when adding lift. I have 1.75" front lift and would like to get caster back to stock as close as possible.

Thanks! Searched but didn't find anything. If already a thread please post link.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have pair I bought from Benny at all Mopar parts, just need to find the time to install, I have a 1.75” spacer in the front currently. It isn’t too bad but figure it can’t hurt to add a little caster.

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I have pair I bought from Benny at all Mopar parts, just need to find the time to install, I have a 1.75” spacer in the front currently. It isn’t too bad but figure it can’t hurt to add a little caster.
Agreed. Caster us good and if I can improve the steering at all I'm in.
Ordered Core in black. Will make it 3/16" longer than stock.

Sponsored

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Best way is to put it on an alignment machine.

I’d start with the 1/4” longer and adjust as needed. Also to help with steering I wouldn’t stay within the stock spec.

I bumped my caster up to 6* and it’s much better. I also added a little toe.

Jeep Gladiator Lower control arms. How to determine new length needed for lift? F08E3C6B-BD8A-4358-AFA7-404A4F95D6E7
Jeep Gladiator Lower control arms. How to determine new length needed for lift? 1C36B8E3-A538-4FFA-A229-3CE1DE699CEF
Jeep Gladiator Lower control arms. How to determine new length needed for lift? 00822762-DD65-44C0-AFE4-D68629779A37

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Best way it to put on an alignment machine.

I’d start with the 1/4” longer and adjust as needed. Also to help with steering I wouldn’t stay within the stock spec.

Jeep Gladiator Lower control arms. How to determine new length needed for lift? 00822762-DD65-44C0-AFE4-D68629779A37
Thank you for this info.
Looking forward to dialing it in as well.

What brand did you end up going with?

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thank you for this info.
Looking forward to dialing it in as well.

What brand did you end up going with?
I went with Synergy. At the very least go with some that you can adjust on the vehicle. Makes adjustment much easier.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I went with Synergy. At the very least go with some that you can adjust on the vehicle. Makes adjustment much easier.
Although technically correct, I’m going to disagree with this. Considering the OP is only planning to lift the front 1.75”, adding a set of 1/4” longer fixed Mopar arms would be simpler, easier, and more cost effective. If one was building a more complex system, yes, adjustable arms would be better. In this case, I would keep it simple. To each his own though.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Best way is to put it on an alignment machine.

Bigger tires, wider stance - more toe helps to offset that. Caster will help it want to "self-center" after a turn.

Sponsored

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Although technically correct, I’m going to disagree with this. Considering the OP is only planning to lift the front 1.75”, adding a set of 1/4” longer fixed Mopar arms would be simpler, easier, and more cost effective. If one was building a more complex system, yes, adjustable arms would be better. In this case, I would keep it simple. To each his own though.
sounds good. I don’t know a single person that has kept their Jeep in its initial form. Always changing, so why not allow for that up front and only spend the money once? To each his own I guess.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Doesn't take but a half-hour if you have the simple tools. Do it!

Reactions: Mac

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I agree very much. For $61 and 30 minutes, it's dirt cheap. I just used them to band-aid the broke-ass steering box with a bunch of caster and to get some more sane toe settings so my front tires don't get eaten up. Stock JTR springs and height.

$400+ for fully adjustable LCA's is a higher bar than "oh I needed a good torque wrench anyway".

Edit to add: PM Benny @AllMoparParts.com for the parts and shipping discount.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't take but a half-hour if you have the simple tools. Do it!
Doing one at a time you don't even have to struggle as they are right down there accessible without busting your back, head or arm.
I may go that route one day but in my situation I think my winch and bumper and skid plate offset a lot of the lift.
Wish I could find someone who would measure a bone-stock overland up to the bottom of the fender opening to see how mine compares. I lost my notes that I took a year ago when I measured stock height to see how much payload set the truck down. Bummer.
I added Rubicon springs which gained me about an inch as measured at the bumper, likely a bit less at the wheel, then put on the winch, skid plate and bumper that dropped it about a half inch, the put 3/4" spacers under it and lost track of the STOCK setting to see how much different it sits now from bone stock.
If there's enough difference I'm considering the lower control arms to add some caster back.

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Doing one at a time you don't even have to struggle as they are right down there accessible without busting your back, head or arm.
I may go that route one day but in my situation I think my winch and bumper and skid plate offset a lot of the lift.
Wish I could find someone who would measure a bone-stock overland up to the bottom of the fender opening to see how mine compares. I lost my notes that I took a year ago when I measured stock height to see how much payload set the truck down. Bummer.
I added Rubicon springs which gained me about an inch as measured at the bumper, likely a bit less at the wheel, then put on the winch, skid plate and bumper that dropped it about a half inch, the put 3/4" spacers under it and lost track of the STOCK setting to see how much different it sits now from bone stock.
If there's enough difference I'm considering the lower control arms to add some caster back.
Swing into your nearest dealer with a tape measure.
Sponsored