Sponsored

Lux Lights for Rock Lights?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Just checking in on this product, has anyone had an issue with the magnets holding up so far?

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
@Bonanza ... may I ask your install locations? I gave it a run today and I almost got one side done until I got to the front.... due to all the JTR hardware under there (lockers, etc), I was having a rough time finding good install locations. I ended up pulling them as I ran low on time. I figured I would ask around for where folks installed them. I ran the wires through the frame mostly because the driver side seems to lack good places to zip tie or was too close to the exhaust.

BTW, it was the pitman arm that was causing my difficulty :). Thanks for pointing that out. Your front location and wiring will be really helpful!

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
@Bonanza ... may I ask your install locations? I gave it a run today and I almost got one side done until I got to the front.... due to all the JTR hardware under there (lockers, etc), I was having a rough time finding good install locations. I ended up pulling them as I ran low on time. I figured I would ask around for where folks installed them. I ran the wires through the frame mostly because the driver side seems to lack good places to zip tie or was too close to the exhaust.

BTW, it was the pitman arm that was causing my difficulty :). Thanks for pointing that out. Your front location and wiring will be really helpful!
By install you mean where I slapped them on? :) I put on 8: front two at the front of the frame, right behind where the front sway bar goes through. I put 4 rock lights on the supports of my sliders, right behind the front tires and right in front of the rear tires. The rock-hard sliders have a very convenient mounting point for these lights, and also has the nice side effect of creating a channel to run the wiring. The final 2 lights I put on the rear hitch.

Sponsored

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
By install you mean where I slapped them on? :)
Yep!

Thanks for that info. If you ever (please) get a chance to take a pic of the front mounting location and how you routed the wire... that would be awesomely helpful. I struggled with that one for a good hour trying to get it wired decently... the moving parts got me concerned about a wire pinch. The driver front/rear door, I pretty much did what you did except I put the very rear one on the little black piece of metal thet drops down behind the read tires. I may look at the hitch option as you did....it seems to have more light clearance in that location. I will also route my wires up the rock rails like you... it seems the Rubi rock rails seem to have points to tie off where it meets the vehicle . The frame worked but fishing it down the slope from the rear was a real bear and I have to do it again :-(

Thanks for all of your help... it has been invaluable.

mjoneil

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S, '17 Camaro SS, '10 BMW 328
Build Thread
Link
I actually used these for my side step lights. AMP has a blueish/purple look I didn't like. They are used (quick on/off) every day and i've been using them for about 2 months. Theyve been great and I doubt you will use rock lights daily.

Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? 138669646_10226365747996997_4219546090602926174_n

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick update... weather got nice enough to get these installed. Finding places to install it was a bit challenging in order to keep away from the exhaust (heat). The best way I found to route the cables was through the frame. That made it clean. The folks from Dixie 4 Wheel in Moab said to do something like that as they get annoyed about having to remove and move rock lights when they install lifts. They said the frame was a good way to go. Using an electrician's fish tape made this dead simple. If anyone wants to see my mounting locations, I am happy to share it. In any case, here is the finished product...

Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4328

Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4319
Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4327

TNGatorBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1985 CJ8 Scrambler and 2014 Grand Cherokee WK2 (For Sale)
Occupation
Executive Director
@M0untainM4n ... I'd like to see the install locations. I'm about to order some rock lights and would appreciate the help.

Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would be happy to. Unfortunately, I am back in my Colorado home for the next 2 weeks and won't be back to Moab (where my Gladiator lives) until mid month. I can post them then.

In the mean time, my text locations of their locations are as follows:

• The rear 2 are just in front of the hitch frame. There are 2 nice holes in the frame right near them where you can fish the wire through the frame.
  • The next rear two are right below the rear doors on a black metal pad, just in front of the rear tires. Again, a nearby hole in the frame is accessible for route the wires.
  • The next set are just under the front doors on the body. Again, the frame has nearby holes to get the wires through.
  • The front was the interesting location. They are on the frame near the pitman arm. You need to be careful because that is a moving part. You will be sure to use several zip ties to keep this in place.

TIPS:

1 - Get a nice fish tape from HD or HF. Don't get a fishing electrician's pole. I tried that and the frame just has too much crapola inside of it to get it through. Fish tape worked like a charm and I had the wires through the frame in no time.

2 - I recommend using the frame as did my lift installer. The more you hide the wires, the less of a chance it can get snagged. This is especially important if you are crawling. I took my Gladiator up Cottonwood Canyon just south of Moab. Its called Cottonwood Canyon for a reason... you ford water for about 300 yards with cottenwood branches everywhere... coming up from the water... its easy to catch on a wire and it did for me. This was before I zip tied.

3 - Use lots of zip ties to be sure the lights stay in place. They are magnetic and strong, but they are not glued. They can move under big vibrations and the last thing you want is those hanging down and hitting pavement. Ask me how I know. (See #2 above for why) :)

4 - The entry areas into the frame have burrs and can be sharp. Lots of vibration could cause issues over time with the wiring. I recommend that you either loom it all or just where it enters/exits the frame. I didn't loom it all. I just put short chunks of loom where it enters/exits the frame and also used Tesa wiring harness tape to help with any abrasions.

Those are just how I did it and others may have their own tips. I'll try to remember to post pics in 2 weeks. Ping me if you don't hear back.

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the delay, I just remembered to get these. The following pics should show the locations. I will show the passenger side as the driver is identical. But I will show passenger and driver front. All routing was done through the frame using fish tape.

Rear Passenger:

Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? image7

Passenger rear door (below):
Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? image6

Passenger front door:
Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4515

Passenger front engine frame:
Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4516

Driver front engine frame:
Jeep Gladiator Lux Lights for Rock Lights? IMG_4517

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 build date Gladiator
I can't say enough good things about customer service. I ordered the wrong controller, emailed them, no questions asked they sent me return shipping label. I was on a time crunch so I ordered and paid for the correct controller which they sent out the next day or so and they credited back the cost of the old controller a few days after they received it. I did try to call but never got through so I just replied to their original emails; we communicated by email from that point on and it was so easy. I didn't have to waste my time or theirs. I get the impression that they are a "lean" operation and have dedicated time slots for all the tasks that it takes to run a business. Just my opinion.
If I had one gripe the instructions could be a bit more detailed. I am no expert and was able to figure it out but a few more tips and instructions on the RGB controller would have made me more comfortable. It was intuitive enough and they work great. I will probably order another 4 pack of lights and put some under to hood and use them as rear chase lights; the 3 zone controller will make that easy to do off one switch.

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as good as the day I installed them… have been great.
Sponsored