Sponsored

Made a bonehead move...worse than cheating on my wife...

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
So you think a leftover 2020 is the way to go? The steering column is fixed for free under the recall from what I see for 2020’s. Other than that, unless you get the Willys or 80th I don’t see much difference.
I honestly think so. I was curious to see what the 2021s would roll out with. I was pleasantly surprised when it ended up (essentially) being the same truck (rightfully so). I have a Gator JTR that is now worth more (just an opinion right now...); it is an awesome discontinued color that has most of the features the 2021 has. My local dealer is trying to move 2020s off the lot as fast as possible.
Sponsored

MoaKane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2005 LJ Unlimited, 2018 Audi Q3
Traded the 1st Gladiator bought in Charlotte for a Ford F250 Platnium last year. Loved them both but didnt think I had the room in the Gladiator that I needed. 2 weeks ago I traded that 2019 F250 for a 2020 Sting Gray Gladiator and its already wearing 37s and lifted LOL.

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Traded the 1st Gladiator bought in Charlotte for a Ford F250 Platnium last year. Loved them both but didnt think I had the room in the Gladiator that I needed. 2 weeks ago I traded that 2019 F250 for a 2020 Sting Gray Gladiator and its already wearing 37s and lifted LOL.
Lol awesome!!!! As soon as my dumb leasing company has my payoff I’m ditching my 2020 Ram for a Gladdy

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Also agree. In manual mode, my Ram's 8-speed was good about keeping it from upshifting from my selected gear, but it wouldn't hesitate to drop down a gear against my wishes. I think it did it just to piss me off.
Also also agree. My Audi has the 8-speed with floppy paddles; I've used them maybe three times in the four years I've owned it.

I'm still mad (at myself) that I bought the auto rather than the 6-speed manual in my Audi; the only reason I did was so that my lovely wife could drive it if she needed to when I was driving the JKR.

She has driven it exactly zero times in those same four years. :mad::headbang:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I’m sorry, I gotta say it. The “manual mode” and the “paddle shifters” on automatics are as much of a joke on a Porsche as on a Hyundai (and everything in between). It’s makes it a manual as much as a skirt on a boar makes for a prom date.
They are seldom useful. The one on the JT is by far the worst though. Why the hell are up and down reversed? lol

Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
I traded my 2018 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel for a 2020 Rubicon M/T and couldn't be happier. Just returned from NC to PA. The day was 80 degrees and sunny. Made the trip with the roof open and windows down. 6th gear most of the way. The Ram was way too vanilla and doesn't compare for the fun factor.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I’m sorry, I gotta say it. The “manual mode” and the “paddle shifters” on automatics are as much of a joke on a Porsche as on a Hyundai (and everything in between). It’s makes it a manual as much as a skirt on a boar makes for a prom date.
HEY!!! My prom date resents that comment... she loves the paddle shifters!

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
Why auto??? No one has backed the auto side! Curious
Be sure to test drive one before you order it. Any vehicle I ever got that could be had with a manual, got a manual. My wife's daily is a manual Golf R. I test drove a manual JTR and was devastated at the lack of acceleration vs an auto Overland. I knew that if I bought it, I would not be happy with it long term. It would need a regear for sure. I can only image how slow it would feel with bigger tires while towing my race car. Perhaps this JTR had a problem. It was getting the "Service ASS" warning light.

Ended up with a well equipped Max Tow auto.

Just test driver one first. If you are happy with it, get it. They sure do shift smooth.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Be sure to test drive one before you order it. Any vehicle I ever got that could be had with a manual, got a manual. My wife's daily is a manual Golf R. I test drove a manual JTR and was devastated at the lack of acceleration vs an auto Overland. I knew that if I bought it, I would not be happy with it long term. It would need a regear for sure. I can only image how slow it would feel with bigger tires while towing my race car. Perhaps this JTR had a problem. It was getting the "Service ASS" warning light.

Ended up with a well equipped Max Tow auto.

Just test driver one first. If you are happy with it, get it. They sure do shift smooth.
I appreciate the feedback! I find the auto a tad sluggish at times, especially on hills. I’ll have to test drive the manual and see what I think. Some people I know who are local say the manual makes the rides even bumpier. Maybe it’s just their shifting!

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I love the MT, but here in National Capital Region's (NCR) crazy traffic and the stop and go associated with one of the worst traffic locations in the country, MT does not work well at all!

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I would have been a bonehead for NOT trading in my PT Cruiser for a Sting Gray Overland. No regrets and love the truck.

Bruce

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I appreciate the feedback! I find the auto a tad sluggish at times, especially on hills. I’ll have to test drive the manual and see what I think. Some people I know who are local say the manual makes the rides even bumpier. Maybe it’s just their shifting!
The 4.10 gears are more responsive and less sluggish than the 3.93 in the overland

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I think it's going to just be personal preference, most people seem to be happy with their choices I do see some seem to regret not getting the MT, if it was a big deal I would consider trading for one myself. Depending on how you order and what options you already have, you may not be spending all that much for what would seem to be a much more enjoyable experience.

I can drive a manual, but I'm not very practiced at it and really have no reason to dislike the automatic. Only thing not to like is perhaps the extra $2k price tag.
Sponsored