Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.zambratapas.com
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator
Occupation
Restaurateur
I'm a mall crawler...I'm one of those weirdos, I guess, that loves jeeps because they're awesome convertibles not for their off-road prowess. I know to most of you that makes me a poseur...despite that, what are your thoughts on putting 40s on a mall crawler...max tow axles...no, I don't plan on putting 60s or really anything...I've heard both sides...if i'm not doing ANY off-road can I put 40s on my JT? I'm running 37s now on 4.5" lift, AAL hi-line fenders setup...I will regear 4.88 or 5.13....thanks!

Oh, and if you're wondering why? Aesthetics...I just don't think the JT looks right without 40s...not sure why, everytime I look at my 37s I think...damn I wish I went 40s...
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure somebody out there makes some billet or super-HD ball joints, but you'll also want to put some solid steel knuckles on that front axle...The stock ones are aluminum. I wouldn't trust that to run 40's, personally. I think about 37-38" tires is about the limit for the MM210/MM220 D44 axles that are under our JT's.

If I was to run 38x15.50's or anything larger, especially if you plan on any sort of off-roading, I'd be looking for a D60 swap.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok..well, I guess 38 x 14.5 would be good...thanx
Be a smartass all you want, but when you break shit, or wear parts out WAY prematurely, don't say I didn't warn you.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't being a smartass...you said you thought 38s would be fine...I was conceding
You can run 40's... Just saying that there are some things I'd beef up before attempting to offroad with 40's on the stock axles, like the knuckles and order some axle shafts that delete the FAD unit, and some other stuff, like HD ball joints.

OP
OP
pmontague1968

pmontague1968

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.zambratapas.com
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator
Occupation
Restaurateur
You can run 40's... Just saying that there are some things I'd beef up before attempting to offroad with 40's on the stock axles, like the knuckles and order some axle shafts that delete the FAD unit, and some other stuff, like HD ball joints.
Appreciate that...I did mention in the OP...no off road...Mall crawling only

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You say that but.....It IS a 4x4 Jeep, after all... So, that typically never lasts. Just like I always say to myself (when I buy a new vehicle), "I'm not going to mod this one too heavily..." Well, that shit never lasts long. I had crap on order 3 days after I bought my JTR. Haha

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Even driving on the Road I wouldn't run 40's on the stock axles. Your just asking for trouble. Like @Alabama Mud Machine said there's things that need to be beefed up for 40's to be ok to run.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Even driving on the Road I wouldn't run 40's on the stock axles. Your just asking for trouble. Like @Alabama Mud Machine said there's things that need to be beefed up for 40's to be ok to run.
Is it the weight or the larger circumference? I get differing answers. Like 35s vs 37s needing a re-gear, because of size not because 37s are 4lbs heavier than 35s per tire

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Made it 4 months in mine. Mostly because I had a newborn 2 weeks after I got it
Made 2 days in mine. Bought it on a Monday, ordered tires Tuesday, had them installed Wednesday. 2.5" lift went on that Friday. I did make it 4 months before adding a bumper and winch.

Said I was going to keep it stock other than tires, that was a lie;)
Sponsored