Manual Sucks

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR, 2017 VW Golf R
I have driven many manuals over the years. As with each, I adapt to the gearing. The shift from 1st to 2nd on the JT seemed off putting initially, but now I’m fine with it. The odd ratios of most of the gears are something I grew numb to pretty quickly.
Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I noticed that 1st gear idles at like the normal 600rpm range, whereas reverse seems to engage a "high idle" condition closer to 1000rpm.
Finally paid attention while backing up, after the engine was warmed up... it idled in reverse at 3mph and 600rpm. Was totally "normal"..... So it occurs to me, most times i'm in R the engine's freshly cranked and trying to wake itself up.

Also, regarding the smoothness of shifting the first 3 gears (especially if you re-gear), I've found it helpful to wind out the engine before shifting, even if I'm not racing a mustang at a red light.
Once I started shifting at 3,000, my passengers aren't head bobbing [bouncing?] near as often.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Finally paid attention while backing up, after the engine was warmed up... it idled in reverse at 3mph and 600rpm. Was totally "normal"..... So it occurs to me, most times i'm in R the engine's freshly cranked and trying to wake itself up.

Also, regarding the smoothness of shifting the first 3 gears (especially if you re-gear), I've found it helpful to wind out the engine before shifting, even if I'm not racing a mustang at a red light.
Once I started shifting at 3,000, my passengers aren't head bobbing [bouncing?] near as often.

How are you liking the 35s and 4.56 combo? It seems like the sweet spot but I waffle back and forth between 4.56 and 4.88.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
How are you liking the 35s and 4.56 combo?
I'd say it's perfect. i can wheel in 4hi for most mild stuff, and still keep 4lo in reserve for when needed.
4.10 would be OK, and I'm planning on bumping up to 37" next, the only thing i'm not a huge fan of is running 2,700rpm to cruise 83...

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Thanks @Hipbilly That aligns with how I am thinking it in my head. 4.88 or even 5.13 would be awesome if we had a really tall 6th. I keep coming back to 4.56 as the sweet spot.

Sponsored

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I also am trying to get used to the gears of this MT. 1st and 2nd are great. 3rd and 4th are too high, making 5th useable only on the interstate and 6th not useable really at all due to the poor low end torque of the pentastar.

...in its defense, this is going from 33's to 35's. I'm 4.10 now, but may change that.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
6th not useable really at all due to the poor low end torque of the pentastar.
fense, this is going from 33's to 35's. I'm 4.10 now, but may change that.
For mine, the engine got much happier with low RPM around 500 miles, and more again around 15,000 miles.

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)

This made a big difference for me as well once I adapted. Driven manuals for 25+ years (all trucks/suvs) and every one I have owned prior the shift point is at 2500-2600 RPMs. Once I consistently rolled up to 3000 the JT behaved better. All manuals are snow flakes to some degree. I'm just glad I was able to still get a new one. They'll be gone soon.

Snowz

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport , 2016 JKUR ,2017 Ram 3500
Occupation
Lineman
With the exception of the gear indicator, I think you could probably get a JK NSG370 and JK 241or to work in a JT with minimal effort. get ready to cut a hole in the floor though!

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Last manual I had was a Subaru wrx and that was a long time ago
Sponsored