Manual Transmission Club

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Good evening MT Club, I have a question to put out. Took delivery of my JTR a few weeks ago that I ordered in December. I noticed a little extra “play” in the clutch pedal upon delivery, but otherwise l liked how smooth the clutch is compared to my 2019 JLU Sport. Yesterday, only around 600 miles into my new Gladiator, my clutch pedal “collapsed,” like just bottomed-out to the floorboards and stayed depressed there due to the spring. Truck wouldn’t start because the “clutch” was not engaged. No check engine light, no nothing, no clutch. Luckily I was in a parking lot. Called Chrysler roadside assistance and finally got the truck towed to the dealership service department. Today I was told the truck needs a new master cylinder, and the service tech believed that my original was not installed properly. So here is the question, has anyone else ran into this problem? A cursory search on the internet has not yielded many results. Think this is a one-off? Hoping to be back on the road with a new master cylinder tomorrow.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Good evening MT Club, I have a question to put out. Took delivery of my JTR a few weeks ago that I ordered in December. I noticed a little extra “play” in the clutch pedal upon delivery, but otherwise l liked how smooth the clutch is compared to my 2019 JLU Sport. Yesterday, only around 600 miles into my new Gladiator, my clutch pedal “collapsed,” like just bottomed-out to the floorboards and stayed depressed there due to the spring. Truck wouldn’t start because the “clutch” was not engaged. No check engine light, no nothing, no clutch. Luckily I was in a parking lot. Called Chrysler roadside assistance and finally got the truck towed to the dealership service department. Today I was told the truck needs a new master cylinder, and the service tech believed that my original was not installed properly. So here is the question, has anyone else ran into this problem? A cursory search on the internet has not yielded many results. Think this is a one-off? Hoping to be back on the road with a new master cylinder tomorrow.
Sorry that happened, I have not heard this issue before so I assume it’s a one off.

For future reference if you can roll the truck just enough to slip into 4-low I think it will start without the clutch engaged. Then rev match to limp your way home.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Sorry that happened, I have not heard this issue before so I assume it’s a one off.

For future reference if you can roll the truck just enough to slip into 4-low I think it will start without the clutch engaged. Then rev match to limp your way home.
I tried to start mine in 4-low the other day and, unlike my JK, it wouldn't crank. Someone posted here that it has to be following a stall.

JT-NOOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Here's a question for the MT club: I have had my MT for 1 week, and I have noticed that to start the engine, I have to hold the starter button while it cranks up. I asked a friend who owns an AT Wrangler, and he said he just needs to press once, and the ECM cranks until it fires up (similar to every new vehicle). Can anyone else confirm their MT must have the start button held to start? If I simply press once and release, the engine doesn't crank long enough to start and the switch just illuminates "run".

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to start mine in 4-low the other day and, unlike my JK, it wouldn't crank. Someone posted here that it has to be following a stall.
Same, I believe it was you and me talking about this a few days ago. In the user manual it says it will restart following a stall in 4L without using the clutch. I haven't tried it yet with the stall, but from a cold start, mine will not work.

Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a question for the MT club: I have had my MT for 1 week, and I have noticed that to start the engine, I have to hold the starter button while it cranks up. I asked a friend who owns an AT Wrangler, and he said he just needs to press once, and the ECM cranks until it fires up (similar to every new vehicle). Can anyone else confirm their MT must have the start button held to start? If I simply press once and release, the engine doesn't crank long enough to start and the switch just illuminates "run".
I have to hold mine. Never knew that wasn't required on autos. How do they get into accessory mode if it starts every time they push the button?

JT-NOOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have to hold mine. Never knew that wasn't required on autos. How do they get into accessory mode if it starts every time they push the button?
They keep their foot off the brake pedal, then it engages accessory mode. Good to hear it's normal. Thx.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hey, SEPTIMO2019. If you have any continuous concerns with your vehicle, please let us know. We are happy to provide an additional layer of assistance while you're working with your dealer.

Kate
JeepCares

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, SEPTIMO2019. If you have any continuous concerns with your vehicle, please let us know. We are happy to provide an additional layer of assistance while you're working with your dealer.

Kate
JeepCares
Kate,
Thanks for reaching out. After the dealer service department installed a new master cylinder, they attempted several times to bleed the brakes and took the Gladiator for another test drive, evidently the same thing happened to the clutch pedal. Upon closer inspection, the service team noticed a hairline fracture in the “new” master cylinder. The third master cylinder is supposed to get installed tomorrow. Although I am concerned with this issue, I am very satisfied with the professionalism of my service manager, and her diligence in getting it fixed. I will keep you posted.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Kate,
Thanks for reaching out. After the dealer service department installed a new master cylinder, they attempted several times to bleed the brakes and took the Gladiator for another test drive, evidently the same thing happened to the clutch pedal. Upon closer inspection, the service team noticed a hairline fracture in the “new” master cylinder. The third master cylinder is supposed to get installed tomorrow. Although I am concerned with this issue, I am very satisfied with the professionalism of my service manager, and her diligence in getting it fixed. I will keep you posted.
I am happy to hear the dealer is helping out, SEPTIMO2019. Please do let us know how it goes!

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Kate
JeepCares
Kate,
Thanks for reaching out. After the dealer installed a new master cylinder, they attempted several times to bleed the brakes and took the Gladiator for another test drive. Evidently the same thing happened. Upon closure inspection, the service team noticed a hairline fracture in the “new” master cylinder.
I am happy to hear the dealer is helping out, SEPTIMO2019. Please do let us know how it goes!

Kate
JeepCares
Kate and MT Owners Club:
Just got the vehicle back after the third Master Cylinder went in. The clutch pedal not only works effectively, but it no longer has that extra “play” that I noticed when the vehicle was first delivered. Although the situation has been a pain, I am more than happy about how the dealership (specifically my service manager) handled getting the problem fixed. I will keep everyone posted if anything changes.

Cyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

Kate
JeepCares
Kate,

Any word on this manual transmission recall? It’s my daily driver to and from work and don’t like that I’m basically driving a giant claymore waiting to go off.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Kate,

Any word on this manual transmission recall? It’s my daily driver to and from work and don’t like that I’m basically driving a giant claymore waiting to go off.
what recall?

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go to Manuals Might Be Dead thread. Essentially, every JL/JT with a manual transmission will be recalled for a clutch-related fix.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Go to Manuals Might Be Dead thread. Essentially, every JL/JT with a manual transmission will be recalled for a clutch-related fix.
not sure what you mean by a 'dead thread', but i found in recalls. this is scary shit, hope whatever fix they put forward will fix my stall issue at low rpm in 4x4, never had that with my 2016 sahara...
Sponsored