Sponsored

Manual Transmission Club

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
not sure what you mean by a 'dead thread', but i found in recalls. this is scary shit, hope whatever fix they put forward will fix my stall issue at low rpm in 4x4, never had that with my 2016 sahara...
Well I figure that it’s not that bad. If you have a clutch issue you will smell/feel it. It’s a wear part replacement is a standard issue (I did clutch, flywheel and a doubler) on my last truck. And I only do mechanical work for fun so if I can do it... Should be a walk in the park for a pro.

However if you were on the fence the Auto is a no brainer. Only go with the MT if you truly want it.

edit: it won’t fix the stall issue that’s the motor. Maybe the clutch play
Sponsored

Jitsurfer

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
I was going to wait to do any performance upgrades until I was out of the factory warranty. Yeah... that lasted about 4 months. So put on a Magnaflow Rockcrawler exhaust which sounded nice. Not too loud but a little lower but when I added this Cold Air intake today it took the sound to the next level. So happy with my purchase and I’m getting about 2-3 mpg more on the highway. The engine really sounds epic with the combo

E9FEE06B-F9D0-4D8B-84DD-D832433B396D.jpeg

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Same, I believe it was you and me talking about this a few days ago. In the user manual it says it will restart following a stall in 4L without using the clutch. I haven't tried it yet with the stall, but from a cold start, mine will not work.
I've done it in practice and once on the trail. Yep, when in doubt, RTFOM! :

"In 4L mode, if the vehicle is stalled, the engine will start regardless of whether or not the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. This feature enhances off-road performance by allowing the vehicle to start when in 4L without having to press the clutch pedal. The “4WD Low Indicator Light” will illuminate when the transfer case has been shifted into this mode."

However, it seems to only give you one chance. Once or twice I failed to crank long enough to start. Then on the second restart attempt, it wouldn't crank until the clutch was disengaged.

I have to hold mine. Never knew that wasn't required on autos. How do they get into accessory mode if it starts every time they push the button?
I am still having trouble getting used to holding the button while it cranks. My wife's Infiniti is a stick and you just have to briefly press and release the button and it continues to crank until started. Years of doing that is hard to unlearn for this old man.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I've done it in practice and once on the trail. Yep, when in doubt, RTFOM! :

"In 4L mode, if the vehicle is stalled, the engine will start regardless of whether or not the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. This feature enhances off-road performance by allowing the vehicle to start when in 4L without having to press the clutch pedal. The “4WD Low Indicator Light” will illuminate when the transfer case has been shifted into this mode."

However, it seems to only give you one chance. Once or twice I failed to crank long enough to start. Then on the second restart attempt, it wouldn't crank until the clutch was disengaged.

I am still having trouble getting used to holding the button while it cranks. My wife's Infiniti is a stick and you just have to briefly press and release the button and it continues to crank until started. Years of doing that is hard to unlearn for this old man.
Odd....I may need to see the dealer. I stalled mine in 4Lo on an obstacle and gave it a try and nothing. I got a dud starting system :no:

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
not sure what you mean by a 'dead thread', but i found in recalls. this is scary shit, hope whatever fix they put forward will fix my stall issue at low rpm in 4x4, never had that with my 2016 sahara...
One comment I have on this transmission is that a 6 or 7 speed with granny gear would have been better, and more importantly, reverse is way too tall for backing trailers. I wouldn't mind if reverse went half as fast as it does.

When I back trailers with my F-350 I often put it in 4Lo but I have MANual locking hubs so it doesn't bind when steering.

Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
One comment I have on this transmission is that a 6 or 7 speed with granny gear would have been better, and more importantly, reverse is way too tall for backing trailers. I wouldn't mind if reverse went half as fast as it does.

When I back trailers with my F-350 I often put it in 4Lo but I have MANual locking hubs so it doesn't bind when steering.
You can still use 4low if it binds a bit it’s fine still better than throwing 37s in it and rock crawling. Also the Front axle disconnect is electric and you can make a switch for a 2low mod if you want.

Edit: Tazer should have this feature. I would check with them. On how the FAD on/off works.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Here's another treatment on the end of M/T...

Why stick shifts are going extinct

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell

Read that one the other day. Basically lazy American drivers, and corporations only want to spend money on high turn items like automatics. Autos have gotten much better over the years, but still love rowing my own as long as I can. I'm guessing Jeep will be the very last American manufacture offering a manual.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

nothing in here I didn’t already know, still makes me sad to hear it again.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Read that one the other day. Basically lazy American drivers, and corporations only want to spend money on high turn items like automatics. Autos have gotten much better over the years, but still love rowing my own as long as I can. I'm guessing Jeep will be the very last American manufacture offering a manual.
Now mulling that manual transmission operation was described as an 'art'. Not much hard data in the report. More like, we ain't cause we don't and nobody saying much about it. The one that popped up was on flying cars, electric this time around, dude actually said the cars are ahead of the regulatory environment. Some govt guy quoted saying we have zero to thirty miles covered by drones, and hundreds of miles covered by airlines, but this market is for thirty to three hundred miles or similar statement. Link is that electric motors don't even require a transmission, and nobody wants any transmission featured if they can get from point a to b. Glad I have one..hehe even if it is the vintage Glad.

Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Same here. But, I have my midlife crisis sporty convertible, with a manual, so I don't care what others think about manuals.

Jeep Gladiator Manual Transmission Club IMG_20191209_094940
I should probably update this to "American anti theft device". It's not just millennials, it's Gen Y, Gen Z and even some Gen X'ers

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I should probably update this to "American anti theft device". It's not just millennials, it's Gen Y, Gen Z and even some Gen X'ers
Apparently it's 98% of the population. Cool. Saves me money on alarms. Unless some oldster is still car jackin

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Apparently it's 98% of the population. Cool. Saves me money on alarms. Unless some oldster is still car jackin
If it's a sweet ride, it's not safe from oldsters. They'd Jack it just to ride in a cool vehicle.
Sponsored