Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
If it is a Mopar part that you're adding, then you are probably correct, but I would get verification from Jeep first. Also, who does the installation may come into play, as well.

Please be clear, I am not making an endorsement of Jeep doing service work but when it comes to warranties, they have a platoon of lawyers who know the fine print better than we do.
Good point. Now to track down someone at Jeep who knows what the hell they’re talking about.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I also have experienced the weird resonance/vibration noise that seems to be coming from behind the dash around 3k-3500 rpm (usually in 3rd gear). I've actually hit the dash thinking I could knock something in/out of place. I have only noticed this happening when the vehicle has been running for a long time. Think couple hours of driving or more. I have not had this happen on any around town trips. My thought was maybe something gets really warm and loosens up behind the dash? No idea but it's only been noticed on road trips or long drives...odd.
This sounds silly but check that your sun visor is securely clipped. Mine was not and the buzzing sound it made at certain speeds was really hard to locate.

Sponsored

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Okay, driving my ‘22 Willys JT and my wife’s ‘22 Willys JL for a few days now. They’re both MT. We brought them home last Thursday. Waited since 11-16 for them to be delivered.

So my question is, and I realize this might have been covered in another thread, is there some sort of computer engine management limiting power?

We have to downshift into 4th gear on hills I could take easily in 6th in my ‘12 JKR.

Just looking to see if anyone had similar experiences. Thought this might be a good thread to post the question. Thanks!!!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Okay, driving my ‘22 Willys JT and my wife’s ‘22 Willys JL for a few days now. They’re both MT. We brought them home last Thursday. Waited since 11-16 for them to be delivered.

So my question is, and I realize this might have been covered in another thread, is there some sort of computer engine management limiting power?

We have to downshift into 4th gear on hills I could take easily in 6th in my ‘12 JKR.

Just looking to see if anyone had similar experiences. Thought this might be a good thread to post the question. Thanks!!!
Nope. Just the 3.6. No low end torque. It's how it is. Downshift or regear. Also, 5th and 6th are really close together, and both overdrive. So 4th is usually a good choice at interstate speeds for hills. If it's really steep, or you need to accelerate rapidly, sometimes 3rd.

This generation has longer gearing than the previous one, and the JT is also just heavy. You'll find that 6th is essentially useless below 65 even for cruising. 5th is useless below 55 even for cruising speeds, let alone climbing. 4th is the sweet spot for acceleration once already at highway speeds, and you'll use 3rd for merging onto the interstate. In short, pretend it's 5 speed most of the time.

Last edited:

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I believe it is just gearing. Here is the gearing comparison I found in a JL forum
JL &JT vs. JK
1st – 5.13 4.46
2nd – 2.63 2.61
3rd – 1.54 1.72
4th – 1.00 1.25
5th – 0.81 1.00
6th – 0.72. 0.80
Rev – 4.49 4.06

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe it is just gearing. Here is the gearing comparison I found in a JL forum
JL &JT vs. JK
1st – 5.13 4.46
2nd – 2.63 2.61
3rd – 1.54 1.72
4th – 1.00 1.25
5th – 0.81 1.00
6th – 0.72. 0.80
Rev – 4.49 4.06
More exacerbated if the previously owned was a JKR, vs now a willys due to the final drive ratio, as well.

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Nope. Just the 3.6. No low end torque. It's how it is. Downshift or regear. Also, 5th and 6 the are really close together, and both overdrive. So 4th is usually a good choice at interstate speeds for hills. If it's really steep, or you need to accelerate rapidly, sometimes 3rd.

This generation has longer gearing than the previous one, and the JT is also just heavy. You'll find that 6th is essentially useless below 65 even for cruising. 5th is useless below 55 even for cruising speeds, let alone climbing. 4th is the sweet spot for acceleration once already at highway speeds, and you'll use 3rd for merging onto the interstate. In short, pretend it's 5 speed most of the time.
Thanks, I knew you might have some perspective!

Sponsored

mark walk

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mojave
Occupation
retired
Ordered 5/11. D like everyone else.

Given they said somewhere way back that April and May production were Pre Spec builds, I guess I didn't expect it to go into build status until June at earliest, and then I ordered after probably thousands of others.

I have my expectation bar set at August 31st. Anything sooner will be a plus. Just want it in with enough time left to enjoy some fall weather with the top off.
va.dealers have many 6 speeds just got a new mojave 2 weeks ago

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Yeah the JK 6th gear is essentially the same as the JT 5th. I was disappointed that the JL 6 speed had even higher ODs than the JK. I have to downshift my JK all the time, then the JT is even worse. But 5th in the JK is fine, not so much in the JT unless I'm going 70, oh well.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the JK 6th gear is essentially the same as the JT 5th. I was disappointed that the JL 6 speed had even higher ODs than the JK. I have to downshift my JK all the time, then the JT is even worse. But 5th in the JK is fine, not so much in the JT unless I'm going 70, oh well.
I went with 5.13 axle gears for my 37” tires and it’s pretty great!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6th is essentially only useful when there is at most moderate traffic, on a flat road at 70 plus. Otherwise, I pretend it's a 5 speed. Which I'll continue to do, until I trust that I won't need an axle warranty any longer, at which point, I'll go to 4.88. Mine is a Rubicon with 4.10 final drive and 35s.

I still get good mpg driving this way in real world highway usage.

I'm sure it was in the name of MPGs (on paper anyway, for the epa highway cycle ests). If it keeps the manual around a little longer, I'm ok with it as a stock compromise.

I'm not sure how much better the JK was in reality though, if it wasn't a model with a higher numerical final drive ratio. Our JKU Sahara 75th doesn't really have a useful 6th gear either. It's final drive is 3.21. Looks like 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 were available.
Sponsored

Last edited: