Manual Transmission Club

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'm not sure how much better the JK was in reality though, if it wasn't a Rubicon with the higher numerical final drive ratio. Our JKU Sahara 75th doesn't really have a useful 6th gear either.
My JK is a Willys 2 door. 3.73 axle gearing. Thing is a rocket off the line but 6th is the same, I've got to be moving fast and on flattish ground to be usable. Any hills and were going to 5th.
Sponsored

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
My JK is a Willys 2 door. 3.73 axle gearing. Thing is a rocket off the line but 6th is the same, I've got to be moving fast and on flattish ground to be usable. Any hills and were going to 5th.
Same exact thing for me! 👍

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
6th is essentially only useful when there is at most moderate traffic, on a flat road at 70 plus. Otherwise, I pretend it's a 5 speed. Which I'll continue to do, until I trust that I won't need an axle warranty any longer, at which point, I'll go to 4.88. Mine is a Rubicon with 4.10 final drive and 35s.

I still get good mpg driving this way in real world highway usage.

I'm sure it was in the name of MPGs (on paper anyway, for the epa highway cycle ests). If it keeps the manual around a little longer, I'm ok with it as a stock compromise.

I'm not sure how much better the JK was in reality though, if it wasn't a model with a higher numerical final drive ratio. Our JKU Sahara 75th doesn't really have a useful 6th gear either. It's final drive is 3.21. Looks like 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 were available.
You are right on the money again, wife’s 12 JKU was 3.21 and my JKR was 4.10. She almost never used 6th.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I believe it is just gearing. Here is the gearing comparison I found in a JL forum
JL &JT vs. JK
1st – 5.13 4.46
2nd – 2.63 2.61
3rd – 1.54 1.72
4th – 1.00 1.25
5th – 0.81 1.00
6th – 0.72. 0.80
Rev – 4.49 4.06
Right on. The gearing is taller. The peak hp and torque of the Jk/JT horsepower are the same but the JT's version has 14% more torque at most rpm due to less internal friction and 2 stage variable valve timing.

But the tall gearing in 5th and 6th is because 5th is as tall as JK's 6th, as you showed here.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Okay, driving my ‘22 Willys JT and my wife’s ‘22 Willys JL for a few days now. They’re both MT. We brought them home last Thursday. Waited since 11-16 for them to be delivered.

So my question is, and I realize this might have been covered in another thread, is there some sort of computer engine management limiting power?

We have to downshift into 4th gear on hills I could take easily in 6th in my ‘12 JKR.

Just looking to see if anyone had similar experiences. Thought this might be a good thread to post the question. Thanks!!!
Just geared too tall. Needs 4.10 for stock tires at the tallest.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to snag a leftover 2021 Rubicon with the 6 speed. just picked it up the end of the last month. so glad I went with the manual trans.
Welcome!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I was able to snag a leftover 2021 Rubicon with the 6 speed. just picked it up the end of the last month. so glad I went with the manual trans.
Yea ! Another unicorn - Rubicon with a 6 speed. I also love mine. So much fun ! If you want, you can check my build thread - in my signature to get ideas. Enjoy !

PS. If you are building it, I highly recommend 37s with 5:13 gears -- your Rubicon will be super quick stop light to stop light with that manual transmission.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea ! Another unicorn - Rubicon with a 6 speed. I also love mine. So much fun ! If you want, you can check my build thread - in my signature to get ideas. Enjoy !

PS. If you are building it, I highly recommend 37s with 5:13 gears -- your Rubicon will be super quick stop light to stop light with that manual transmission.
Another vote for 5.13 gears with 37s. Also loving my Centerforce clutch too!

JJones95

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Logistics
Just picked up my new Rubicon with the manual on the 19th and I'm extremely impressed with it. I am able to run 80 with ease whereas the '16 JKU Sahara that I just sold would be screaming at me anywhere over 70 - product of a higher gear ratio I guess. I also had a '10 JKU Rubicon but it had the 3.8 so not really comparable. What a dog that engine was...

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
va.dealers have many 6 speeds just got a new mojave 2 weeks ago
Seems like there’s some demographic preference in different regions of the country. In New Mexico where we have a lot of rock crawling and high mountain passes there are no MTs on the lots. Back East, or at least VA, there are MTs easy to find. My dealer here said that they can’t sell MTs. I had to order one that’s been in D1 for six weeks.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like there’s some demographic preference in different regions of the country. In New Mexico where we have a lot of rock crawling and high mountain passes there are no MTs on the lots. Back East, or at least VA, there are MTs easy to find. My dealer here said that they can’t sell MTs. I had to order one that’s been in D1 for six weeks.
It’s funny because a Rubicon with a manual is arguably the best rock crawling option - lowest crawling ratio and requires almost no skill to crawl. Two feet on the floor and some minor throttle input and it just goes and goes over bolders, up ledges, etc. I chose a manual after wheeling a JL Rubi automatic for a day and feeling it repeatedly be in too high a gear to slowly climb over rocks - even when I manually selected the gears. The auto was great on the road but meh off road.

The dealer sentiment that they cannot sell stick shift vehicles is slowly becoming a self fulfilling prophesy. They really need a marketing makeover - market stick as a rugged alternative and an anti-theft device. #savethestick

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s funny because a Rubicon with a manual is arguably the best rock crawling option - lowest crawling ratio and requires almost no skill to crawl. Two feet on the floor and some minor throttle input and it just goes and goes over bolders, up ledges, etc. I chose a manual after wheeling a JL Rubi automatic for a day and feeling it repeatedly be in too high a gear to slowly climb over rocks - even when I manually selected the gears. The auto was great on the road but meh off road.

The dealer sentiment that they cannot sell stick shift vehicles is slowly becoming a self fulfilling prophesy. They really need a marketing makeover - market stick as a rugged alternative and an anti-theft device. #savethestick
I agree. I've had MTs in all my 4X4s except for one a 2017 Tacoma I traded in for a MT the next year. However, my JTR has been on order since February 25, so the MT might be holding it up if as NachoRuby found that only about 5% are MTs.

Last edited:

HydroMoj

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Gov
I agree. I've had MTs in all my 4X4s except for one a 2017 Tacoma I traded in for a MT the next year. However, my JTR has been on order since February 25, so the MT might be holding it up if as NachoRuby found that only about 5% are MTs.
My M/T JTM (ordered 3/5) just moved to D1 over the weekend - estimated ship date of 4/30. You may want to check with your dealership! (Assuming they batch MTs together)

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My M/T JTM (ordered 3/5) just moved to D1 over the weekend - estimated ship date of 4/30. You may want to check with your dealership! (Assuming they batch MTs together)
Found out today my JTR is in framing, due April 17, but dealer says 1st week of May.
Sponsored