Manual Transmission Club

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Slightly different subject in this MT thread: So for a guy who does occasional wheeling, stock jeep on 35s, with lots of Appalachian mountain driving, and a good bit of city too, would you recommend the stock 4.10s, 4.56s, or 4.88s? In other words I'm looking for the best all around ride. Good off road, on road, and in the city/highway. I think I have a good setup now (stock on 35s), but I feel like it could be even better. I dont plan on a lift for *vertically challenged spousal reasons, so other than more armor underneath to give me some confidence off road, and a winch, my truck will remain largely stock.
*Wife is 5'2, and can barely get in now.
Mine did ok with 4.10. Going through the Rockies on the interstate or in a headwind, I was in 5th gear 95% of the time and that tipped me to wanting a re-gear. Now with 4.56, I'm at about 2475rpm at 75 in 6th and I love it. I can pull hills with it or pass with it but it and gas mileage is about the same. In all around driving it might be slightly better. Anyway, I'd say in the mountains with 35's you'd love the 4.56 gears. It really is the sweet spot for 35's and I wouldn't want it any shorter. If you ever plan to go to 37's then 4.88 would be perfect. I won't do that, so I'm really happy with 4.56. Super happy with it. It also didn't make 1st gear too short. I was worried about that. And it helped reverse, which was too tall before.

I hoppe that helps!

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I did consider south bend but all I saw was another dual clutch /dual mass flywheel (complicated) clutch and I was looking to go to heavier flywheel, a gripper clutch to simplify and improve offroad and towing. My Centerforce clutch is in and I’m breaking it in now. So far it’s great - it engages lower in the pedal travel and more positive. I can backup without throttle. Once the break in is done I’ll find some time to do the 20degree hill test and offroad test to report back. Here is the stock clutch in a 20degree hill at idle for the before video.

B6F08519-58BB-4930-B32A-54EC93A44946.jpeg
Well, Sparty, I have now called every South Bend dealer in Middle TN. Two of them have dropped their dealer relationship with SB and two said they don't see anything noting their clutches compatible with the Gladiator. That was enough for me to decide to focus on the Centerforce.
Not saying that SB doesn't make a fine product but if they have a lot of dealer turnover AND don't keep their records updated to note what is compatible with a Jeep line that is going on it's 3rd year of production..... well, you get the picture.
thanksk

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Sparty, I have now called every South Bend dealer in Middle TN. Two of them have dropped their dealer relationship with SB and two said they don't see anything noting their clutches compatible with the Gladiator. That was enough for me to decide to focus on the Centerforce.
Not saying that SB doesn't make a fine product but if they have a lot of dealer turnover AND don't keep their records updated to note what is compatible with a Jeep line that is going on it's 3rd year of production..... well, you get the picture.
thanksk
Good luck. I’ll be pushing a new video soon showing initial impressions and part 2 hill test. Spoiler alert - this is how the clutch should be. It has a bit of effort and you can feel the engagement but it’s not tough or unrefined. It’s just better all around.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck. I’ll be pushing a new video soon showing initial impressions and part 2 hill test. Spoiler alert - this is how the clutch should be. It has a bit of effort and you can feel the engagement but it’s not tough or unrefined. It’s just better all around.
here's the new video . check it out!

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
here's the new video . check it out!
This is what I've been waiting to see. That was a wonderful test and a very well done video.
Thank you, Brian for taking the time and effort to do it.
Also, you make wonderful videos. Great job!!

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I've been waiting to see. That was a wonderful test and a very well done video.
Thank you, Brian for taking the time and effort to do it.
Also, you make wonderful videos. Great job!!
I appreciate your support. Thanks for watching.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I appreciate your support. Thanks for watching.
One other question, if I may. You state in your "unboxing" video that the Centerforce flywheel, with packaging, weighs around 44 lbs, if I remember correctly. Do you remember what the OEM flywheel weighed after removal??

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One other question, if I may. You state in your "unboxing" video that the Centerforce flywheel, with packaging, weighs around 44 lbs, if I remember correctly. Do you remember what the OEM flywheel weighed after removal??
I haven’t weighed it yet but I suspect it a fair amount lighter. I haven’t had a chance to unbolt it but I’ll be sure to do this soon a d report.

Sponsored

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
Thanks for posting the video & keeping us updated on your experience with the centerforce clutch. Its nice to know that my JT can drive the way a manual transmission is suppose to.

SoftPigeon

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Technician
This might be a tad off topic, but i took my jt out for the first time today. Long story short, i was looking qt my buddies offroad screen (he jas an auto) and he has a transmission temp gauge.

I do not.

I only have oil temp, oil pressure, battery, and cooland temp. Is this normal fof manuals?

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave, '91 YJ Wrangler, '17 Ram 3500 CTD
Occupation
DoD Contractor
This might be a tad off topic, but i took my jt out for the first time today. Long story short, i was looking qt my buddies offroad screen (he jas an auto) and he has a transmission temp gauge.

I do not.

I only have oil temp, oil pressure, battery, and cooland temp. Is this normal fof manuals?
Yes, lack of a tranny temp gauge on a manual vehicle is typical.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

I do not.

Manuals rarely ever have a transmission temp gauge, for any make, and even on sports cars. You'll get a warning (post recall anyway), and it'll pull torque if you start smoking your clutch, to save itself, but the transmission itself shouldn't overheat on an MT. The clutch shouldn't either under most conditions, unless you're doing some major slipping for some reason. A temp gauge really isn't needed on a manual. We don't usually get transmission coolers either, whereas many automatics do.

Last edited:

SoftPigeon

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Technician
Awesome! Thabks for the replies. I wasnt super worried about the temp, just wanted to make sure my 8.4 was working correvy. I appreciate the prompt responses.
Sponsored