Sponsored

Manuals might be dead

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I bought my JT private party and this will be my first experience with a recall (i have mostly owned older cars where the recall periods expire).

So if i didn't buy my car from the dealer, am i still able to get the work done/serviced at the dealership close to me?

Not sure how it all works, thanks in advance!
A recall is a recall. It's the vehicle, not the owner. So it does not matter when or from whom you purchased it. But since you bought it from a private party, in all likelihood you will not receive a notification from Jeep. You will have to bring it in yourself and request the recall repair.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Kyjeeprealtor

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler, 2020 Gladiator
I’m a salesman in Louisville KY at Cross Jeep and sell the fire out of Jeeps and still have yet to even see a manual JT in person... my thoughts are they just aren’t making anymore for this model year. Just my opinion....

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I’m a salesman in Louisville KY at Cross Jeep and sell the fire out of Jeeps and still have yet to even see a manual JT in person... my thoughts are they just aren’t making anymore for this model year. Just my opinion....
I am going to order one tomorrow. I will report on what transpires.

Sponsored

Kyjeeprealtor

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler, 2020 Gladiator
I also do know that with a MT your max tow capacity is 4,000 lbs with a Sport or Overland and 4,500 with a Rubicon so that may help you decide if it’s worth it to you as well....

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Good shops will do a recall search when you bring your vehicle in. Since they get paid by the company not you, it's often no hassle. I always worried they would not release my Jeep but they always did.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Let us know!
I just got back form ordering my Gladiator (Sunday 3/15). Overland trim with manual transmission. Sales manager had no problems with the ordering system, except he said it would not let him select 8.4 radio, which did not matter to me, since I did not want that anyway. I suppose after Jeep processes the order within the next couple of business days I'll know for sure.

OP
OP
CookieSoup

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
good luck ya looks like they were just being hush about a recall coming out. dealer played ball canceled my order and gave me about 4k off a rubicon so i went from base model to rubicon so i think things worked out pretty decent for me.

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
so glad i grabbed one of those rare manuals, i'll be in no rush to get the new pressure plate, i'm not too hard on mine, didn't go overboard with build nor offroad abuse etc. so ticking along like clockwork, i keep a fire extinguisher in all my trucks, pretty easy solution really if worried about catching fire, should be able to catch it if you have an extinguisher handy

glad we're almost over this hump ;)

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
so glad i grabbed one of those rare manuals, i'll be in no rush to get the new pressure plate, i'm not too hard on mine, didn't go overboard with build nor offroad abuse etc. so ticking along like clockwork, i keep a fire extinguisher in all my trucks, pretty easy solution really if worried about catching fire, should be able to catch it if you have an extinguisher handy

glad we're almost over this hump ;)
This brings up an interesting point. Is the recall open ended or does it close at some point? Can we just wait until our clutch wears out and the have it done? Maybe the recall only replaces the pressure plate and not the clutch?

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
no idea, i won't even look into any of this until i get my notice in the mail

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
This brings up an interesting point. Is the recall open ended or does it close at some point? Can we just wait until our clutch wears out and the have it done? Maybe the recall only replaces the pressure plate and not the clutch?
And maybe not even that??? The repair description is: "FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed."

Just a WAG, but it sounds like they can identify which plates are defective by inspection. Maybe that is why they resumed taking orders of 6-speeds (that would be great they are certain new deliveries are not defective.) If they are going to visually inspect the pressure plate, at that point a lot of the labor to replace a worn clutch is done, so perhaps they might would offer a complete clutch job for the cost of parts and any additional labor?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
And maybe not even that??? The repair description is: "FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on affected vehicles to reroute a wire harness and inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed."

Just a WAG, but it sounds like they can identify which plates are defective by inspection. Maybe that is why they resumed taking orders of 6-speeds (that would be great they are certain new deliveries are not defective.) If they are going to visually inspect the pressure plate, at that point a lot of the labor to replace a worn clutch is done, so perhaps they might would offer a complete clutch job for the cost of parts and any additional labor?
I have noticed that all recalls, especially, the ba-zillion air bag recalls, are opportunities for dealers to try to "upsell" services. They have tried to convert costly air bag recalls into revenue making opportunities for their service departments.
Sponsored