Manuals might be dead

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 JLUR
They might actually be dead for good now....or at least the Aisin D478. Jeep has a stop sale on them now after this recall went out. So yea for the time being manuals are dead, and this is why they stopped building any manual orders. Pulled this up with my VIN on MOPARs website.

Untitled.png
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
OMG. Manuals are NOT DEAD. There is a big difference between "no longer available" and "not currently available". :headbang:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
@JeepCares , Now that the recall has been released, can you confirm that manual transmission orders will open up sometime in the future, and are not permanently closed? It would be great to end the rumors that M/T is dead if it's not.
At the moment, Our teams do not have any information regarding this. We recommend staying in contact with your dealer

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Last edited:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Apparent "fanboi" here (who has had both manual and auto Jeeps). This manual doesn't run like crap. But sorry you're hurt about it and/or settled for an auto and regret it.
See, the odd subtle hate on me for having a different opinion is what I meant by fanboi. I'm not hurt about it and don't really care if others like it or dislike it. If it were awesome, people that aren't "Stick shift for life" would be singing it's praises. I've yet to hear anyone say it's great other than people that love it simply for not being an automatic. At the end of the day, it's YOUR vehicle and a) my opinion doesn't matter to you and b) your opinion means nothing to me. Enjoy your truck dude. :rock:

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure how I should feel about all this. Ordered my M/T JTR in December and took delivery in mid-February. Last week, with about 600 miles on the engine, the clutch pedal failed (bottomed out). After a tow into my dealer, they replaced the master cylinder. Based on their reporting, they attempted to bleed the brakes several times. When they took it for a test drive, the clutch pedal failed again in the exact way as it did for me. After a closer inspection, they reported noticing a hairline fracture in the “new” master cylinder. Now I am waiting on a third master cylinder to be installed early next week. The service department has been very professional about all this, but I wonder how this all relates to the recall and a stop on MT orders. I just want to be out Jeeping right now....
Update:
The third time was the charm. New master cylinder and the clutch pedal and shifting are perfect. Now on to the recall!!!!

Sponsored

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have both a 2019 JLU Sport S and a 2020 JTR. Both are M/Ts, and both are affected by the current recall (you can get the link on the M/T Club thread). Never had a problem with the clutch on my JLU (~8000 miles), and I have chronicled my currently-solved issues with the clutch on my JTR. Here is how I fell about the recall: the Chinese Symbol for “challenge” is the same symbol for “opportunity.” After FCA calculates the fix for this, everyone with a Manual Transmission will get a NEW clutch (read, any number of parts within the clutch system). Everyone who wants to buy/order an M/T will get a NEW (improved/more safe) clutch. At worst, everyone gets a new clutch. At best, we may all get upgrades to our systems that COULD improve the tow rating. Fun fact, my 2019 JLU had an FCA recall so the dealer could install a steering damper. The Jeep drove even better after that install. Fast forward to last month when I took delivery of my JTR order, low and behold, the same steering damper was installed as standard equipment on the JTR. In short, Everyone may come out a winner on this. Some will just have to wait longer for it.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I have both a 2019 JLU Sport S and a 2020 JTR. Both are M/Ts, and both are affected by the current recall (you can get the link on the M/T Club thread). Never had a problem with the clutch on my JLU (~8000 miles), and I have chronicled my currently-solved issues with the clutch on my JTR. Here is how I fell about the recall: the Chinese Symbol for “challenge” is the same symbol for “opportunity.” After FCA calculates the fix for this, everyone with a Manual Transmission will get a NEW clutch (read, any number of parts within the clutch system). Everyone who wants to buy/order an M/T will get a NEW (improved/more safe) clutch. At worst, everyone gets a new clutch. At best, we may all get upgrades to our systems that COULD improve the tow rating. Fun fact, my 2019 JLU had an FCA recall so the dealer could install a steering damper. The Jeep drove even better after that install. Fast forward to last month when I took delivery of my JTR order, low and behold, the same steering damper was installed as standard equipment on the JTR. In short, Everyone may come out a winner on this. Some will just have to wait longer for it.
What was the problem/issue that the damper recall was addressing?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

SEPTIMO2019

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never had “death wobble” before or after the new damper went in. I do find the article interesting in that the Jeep owner who gave up on the vehicle because she didn’t trust the company to fix it, ultimately decided to buy a Durango....this just in, the Durango is also owned by FCA.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
33 Thou MT on the road. No way they cancel! Huge numbers! Awesome.

meon4wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just an FYI jeep just called and told me they will not be building my 2020 manual gladiator i ordered. They aren’t sure when production will (if) production will resume. Soooo if you want a stick find one on a lot now!!
Ordered and took delivery of my manual Gladiator Rubicon in October anticipating this may be the case. i'll only drive a manual Jeeps so guessing this will be my last purchase of a new vehicle from them.

Daeyis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR 6spd
My truck was built after the feb 13th window for the recall. Here's to hoping they actually knew what the problem was and fixed it before mine was built.
Sponsored