First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just take one out, walk into Lowes and use the metric thread selector they have in the hardware section to determine what it is then just buy four of them while you are there in SS.
well first, you should make sure taking the screw out won’t damage the shock. Not knowing what it does, I would not remove it.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
well first, you should make sure taking the screw out won’t damage the shock. Not knowing what it does, I would not remove it.
I thought someone said it was just a cap for a fill port for the gas.

Arisdocjk

First Name
Aris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Optometrist
Mine are rusted also. Only 2000 miles and I’ve only driven in the rain 2 times.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Mine are rusted also. Only 2000 miles and I’ve only driven in the rain 2 times.
That's two too many. Didn't you read the post from the guy who had his warranty revoked for having dirt and water splashed in the engine compartment? The Mojave specifically says it's desert rated. No water! Lol

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Just take one out, walk into Lowes and use the metric thread selector they have in the hardware section to determine what it is then just buy four of them while you are there in SS.
I was feeling lazy but next trip to the orange store and I'll take one with me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KB34

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That person said they think it is. But they aren’t Fox soooo i would take that with a grain of salt. May or may not be important that it stays there.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
... So, I'm assuming that the screw we are seeing is just a cap that can be replaced and removing it will not release nitrogen.
Assuming these screws are just caps to protect the nitrogen fill ports ...
With that said, I won't be removing these screws until someone else removes them and confirms no issues. All 4 of my screws have paint daubs on them, which could possibly indicate that something about them is critical in nature.

bac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
While swapping out my plastic bumper on my Mojave I noticed the end cap screws on the fox remote reservoirs were completely rusted. My Gladiator only has 850 miles on it. These definitely did not pass the FCA/Stellantis salt spray test requirements. I will be taking it to the dealer this weekend and getting them to order new shocks and replace these.

I haven't checked the rears yet, but will do it this afternoon.

Mojave Owners, I would suggest you check yours out as well. If they aren't rusted yet, they might soon be, so keep an eye on it.

@JeepCares
What was the outcome of your dealer visit?

OP
OP
KB34

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What was the outcome of your dealer visit?
I was told they don’t have people who can diagnose issues working on weekends. So I need to make an appointment during the week, which idk when will happen cause some people have jobs 🙄

Sponsored

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
Oh, I get it.
Just something that I wouldn't give 2 seconds of thought.

First World problems and all of that.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Well the point is that it doesn't meet Stellantis design standards...
It doesn't meet the design standards and you are burning time from your life on this ?

Posting on here, scheduling with the dealer, driving to the dealer, rescheduling and driving to the dealer again ...

For less cost than the gas money there are solutions that are quick and easy ... Maybe a shot of corrosion proofing, a squirt of paint, a dab of Vaseline or anti seize ... Or, ignore it entirely ...

Now, I confess that I looked at mine when you posted and have not done anything yet ... But I can assure you that my solution wont be to drive to the dealer and spend time on it ...

Maybe Ill shoot a bit o rustoleum on it. maybe ill dab some on with a q tip ...

I get that its the principle of the thing but man, maybe a beer is in order ... What will you do if you ever have a real problem ?

OP
OP
KB34

KB34

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It doesn't meet the design standards and you are burning time from your life on this ?

Posting on here, scheduling with the dealer, driving to the dealer, rescheduling and driving to the dealer again ...

For less cost than the gas money there are solutions that are quick and easy ... Maybe a shot of corrosion proofing, a squirt of paint, a dab of Vaseline or anti seize ... Or, ignore it entirely ...

Now, I confess that I looked at mine when you posted and have not done anything yet ... But I can assure you that my solution wont be to drive to the dealer and spend time on it ...

Maybe Ill shoot a bit o rustoleum on it. maybe ill dab some on with a q tip ...

I get that its the principle of the thing but man, maybe a beer is in order ... What will you do if you ever have a real problem ?
Do you know the purpose of the screw? Will removing it cause issues? I won't remove something that I don't know if it will have detrimental effects.

Do you know how rust spreads? You do realize that painting rust doesn't solve the issue right? Nothing you suggested is a solution to corrosion on a screw. Corrosion on the screw penetrates the material and degrades the actual material, and changes the properties of the material itself. Painting it is just putting a band-aid on a broken bone, it doesn't do anything to solve the issue.

I am not taking my truck to the dealer specifically for the screw, I have a few other issues that it needs to be taken in for, and was just going to tack this on while I was there.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Do you know the purpose of the screw? Will removing it cause issues? I won't remove something that I don't know if it will have detrimental effects.

Do you know how rust spreads? You do realize that painting rust doesn't solve the issue right? Nothing you suggested is a solution to corrosion on a screw. Corrosion on the screw penetrates the material and degrades the actual material, and changes the properties of the material itself. Painting it is just putting a band-aid on a broken bone, it doesn't do anything to solve the issue.

I am not taking my truck to the dealer specifically for the screw, I have a few other issues that it needs to be taken in for, and was just going to tack this on while I was there.
Yes, I'm an engineer as well, I do get it ... And I bet if you never do anything to this that it will fail at around 200,000 miles ...

This aint a big deal ... Seriously ...

I'm not the least bit concerned.

Maybe get some rust converter ...

I understand its the principle and you dont like rust ... But, it is a tiny issue that will likely never bother you ... Other than visually ...

But if you are that worried, than run this up the chain as far as you can ... Which with Jeep aint that far ...

They dont get very excited about actual issues that risk life and limb ... Imagine how they will react to 1/8 inch of rust on the underside of a vehicle ...
Sponsored