gregracki

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave - 2021
Hello All,

I just got a new 2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave. I love everything about it except I feel like the tires are overkill for my general use (probably should have got the Sport S or Overland, but I fell in love with the look of the Mojave and can't change now).

This is basically my every day vehicle in New England. My wife and I like to camp, but it's mostly fire roads and gravel roads, we aren't desert running or rock climbing.

If I wanted something that handled more precisely on-road with reduced weight for better acceleration, what would you recommend? I'm assuming it's wise to keep the same outside diameter?

Also, do you think I would feel more of a difference by changing to all season (or all weather tire), reducing side wall (and increasing wheel), or reducing width?

Thank you for any guidance you can give to a newbie!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Honestly, swap with someone that has Sport or Overland or even Willy's plus a little $$ to you.

Just make sure their TPMS is also compatible with your JT, they changed in 2021.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It’ll look awkward, but you can do it. Plenty of 285/70R17 tires out there.

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
I did the opposite of you last year - I have an Overland, and swapped my Overland wheels and tires for Mojave wheels and tires. I changed the tires by myself and discovered that the Mojave wheels and Wildpeak tires are significantly heavier than the Overland wheels/tires. The Wildpeaks are on 17 inch rims but about 1 inch taller than the Overland wheels/tires on 18 inch rims. I noticed a distinct drop in mileage with the Mojave wheels - over 2 mpg - so I would expect a similar increase in mileage if you did the reverse. I'm pondering putting the Overland tires back on just to get better mileage.

My recommendation is to look at the Member's Marketplace for someone selling Overland wheels/tires within a reasonable distance, or someone wanting to swap with you, and just get those. Personally, I think the Overland wheels are really nice looking. Good luck!

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Honestly, swap with someone that has Sport or Overland or even Willy's plus a little $$ to you.

Just make sure their TPMS is also compatible with your JT, they changed in 2021.
Don't do this, Overlands are 18s. Keep your factory rims and just pickup new tires. The Overland tires are garbage.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Don't do this, Overlands are 18s. Keep your factory rims and just pickup new tires. The Overland tires are garbage.
The Overland tires are exactly what he is asking for, highway only tires. 17", 18", and 20" doesn't mean a thing in the general scope of things.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Hello All,

I just got a new 2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave. I love everything about it except I feel like the tires are overkill for my general use (probably should have got the Sport S or Overland, but I fell in love with the look of the Mojave and can't change now).

This is basically my every day vehicle in New England. My wife and I like to camp, but it's mostly fire roads and gravel roads, we aren't desert running or rock climbing.

If I wanted something that handled more precisely on-road with reduced weight for better acceleration, what would you recommend? I'm assuming it's wise to keep the same outside diameter?

Also, do you think I would feel more of a difference by changing to all season (or all weather tire), reducing side wall (and increasing wheel), or reducing width?

Thank you for any guidance you can give to a newbie!
What tires did your Mojave come with? ATs or MTs.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The Overland tires are exactly what he is asking for, highway only tires. 17", 18", and 20" doesn't mean a thing in the general scope of things.
Those Overland Dueller HT's suck, absolutely not worth giving up the special Mojave rims for the lame Overland rims with terrible tires. Just get better tires on the nice Mojave wheels.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
If you're looking for better handling out of less aggressive tires you may be disappointed. The Mojave is a wanderer from the factory.

A better stabilizer helps. Tightening the steering gearbox helps a lot. Check all of your steering and suspension bolts for proper torque.
Check alignment.
Also check the bolts on the rear sway bar links. Several people have had one just fall out.
If you upgrade the stabilizer you'll need the prior version of the bolt on the passenger side. The one you have in there won't likely work.

Those Falkens would have to stay for winter if I was in New England.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ering-wander-fix-cost-me-0.57677/#post-946383

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...olts-mopar-new-bolt-length.57878/#post-950132

Sponsored

OP
OP

gregracki

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tires did your Mojave come with? ATs or MTs.
They came with the A/T. The Mojave is just noticeably slower than the Sport S and feels less sure turning or just driving on dry pavement. This is 100% my fault, I realize. Just trying to adjust it to my liking,

OP
OP

gregracki

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses, everyone. So it sounds like people think simply putting different tires on the same rims would make a noticeable improvement? What if I just put on the larger versions of the Bridgestone tires that come standard on the Sport S model?

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
If it were me, I’d go with this. I don’t have experience with the tire but it’s light (46.23 lbs according to BFG’s website) and looks like it’ll handle better on road. Also they’re 3 peak mountain snowflake rated for your tough winters up there.

Looks like the max load for these is only 1,285 lbs so just keep that in mind.

B15D8396-EE56-4E01-A04B-D8C980E7FDC5.png

OP
OP

gregracki

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for looking into that for me. It looks like the Mojave weighs 4,975 pounds, so I'd have to weigh my wife every time she got in to make sure we were under! haha

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
The Mojave wheels also have a different offset than all of the other versions, which I thought was to clear the larger shocks.

May want to confirm you won't have any clearance issues if you use takeoffs from another model.
Sponsored