Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Where the bumper hits the frame horn had to clearance it to go all the way on. You must've lucked out if you didn't have to trim. I'll also need to trim where the Rubicon skid plate hits in order to put all 4 bolts in the skid.

Must be some difference in the Overland and Rubicon trim up front there. But it definitely wasn't going on the Jeep without notching it.
Yeah, like I said, if I didn't have a winch, it was quite literally plug and play. NO mods needed.
I was able to put on a stock correct Mopar Rubicon skid plate and it bolted right up to the bumper, all the holes were there and clear. I didn't even had to use a punch or anything to line up the holes.
Same for the frame mount - the thing slid right in.
There's really no "trim" up there - once the bumper is off, it's bare, nothing to get in the way.

Nothing here to trim around, there's no "trim" on the truck.
Bumper bolts right up.
Not sure why Rubicon frame would be different.
And I used a stock Rubicon skid plate, right from Mopar in a Mopar box- exactly like anyone who had a Rubicon with steel bumper would have had.
If you were using the skid plate from a Rubicon with the PLASTIC bumper, then yeah, there MAY be issues. But using the Rubicon skid plate for steel bumpers, it's perfect.

Pic below - what's to get in the way? That's what's confusing me - where did anyone have to trim when there's only frame there. The bracket on the creeper is the lower skid plate bracket for JT Rubicon.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Front Bumper Ebay 20201013_155355_HDR

Rubicon plate bolted right up to frame (with correct Rubicon brackets on the lower side) and bolted right to bumper - zero trimming.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Front Bumper Ebay 20201016_115731_HDR
Sponsored

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yeah, like I said, if I didn't have a winch, it was quite literally plug and play. NO mods needed.
I was able to put on a stock correct Mopar Rubicon skid plate and it bolted right up to the bumper, all the holes were there and clear. I didn't even had to use a punch or anything to line up the holes.
Same for the frame mount - the thing slid right in.
There's really no "trim" up there - once the bumper is off, it's bare, nothing to get in the way.

Nothing here to trim around, there's no "trim" on the truck.
Bumper bolts right up.
Not sure why Rubicon frame would be different.
And I used a stock Rubicon skid plate, right from Mopar in a Mopar box- exactly like anyone who had a Rubicon with steel bumper would have had.
If you were using the skid plate from a Rubicon with the PLASTIC bumper, then yeah, there MAY be issues. But using the Rubicon skid plate for steel bumpers, it's perfect.

Pic below - what's to get in the way? That's what's confusing me - where did anyone have to trim when there's only frame there. The bracket on the creeper is the lower skid plate bracket for JT Rubicon.

20201013_155355_HDR.jpg

Rubicon plate bolted right up to frame (with correct Rubicon brackets on the lower side) and bolted right to bumper - zero trimming.

20201016_115731_HDR.jpg
I don't know what to tell you.....We have different skid plates apparently. My skid plate has 4 bolts, and none of them line up like your photo. That piece is metal, You aren't talking about a plastic air dam, are you?

You can see in the photo of mine, that I have 2 bolts in holding my skid on until tonight when I can take it off and cut the bumper, and you can see the 2 spots highlighted on the bumper where I need to cut it for the skid plate to clear.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Steel Front Bumper Ebay 20201026_140947

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I see now - you are using the skid plate that comes with the "plastic bumper". I have one of those in a box on a shelf.
I see the holes in yours where the front or upper skid plate brackets hold it to the frame.

I used the skid plate for the steel bumper - cost me something but no trimming as it's made for the steel bumper like this. Mine is bolted to the bumper and only uses the brackets on the lower frame pieces.

Rubicon used two different skid plates.
* One for the non-steel bumper, it's held in place on the frame using 4 brackets and didn't bolt to the bumper
* The other is for the steel bumper - it's held up front by the bumper and at the rear or lower part by brackets on the frame.

You have the first, I have the second.

The bottom line?
IF you bought the $1500 genuine MOPAR steel bumper with the MOPAR part number inside - you would STILL have this EXACT same issue!
It's not the bumper, it's that that skid plate wasn't meant to be used with the Mopar steel bumper.

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
OK, I see now - you are using the skid plate that comes with the "plastic bumper". I have one of those in a box on a shelf.
I see the holes in yours where the front or upper skid plate brackets hold it to the frame.

I used the skid plate for the steel bumper - cost me something but no trimming as it's made for the steel bumper like this. Mine is bolted to the bumper and only uses the brackets on the lower frame pieces.

* One for the non-steel bumper, it's held in place on the frame using 4 brackets and didn't bolt to the bumper
* The other is for the steel bumper - it's held up front by the bumper and at the rear or lower part by brackets on the frame.

The bottom line?
IF you bought the $1500 genuine MOPAR steel bumper with the MOPAR part number inside - you would STILL have this EXACT same issue!
It's not the bumper, it's that that skid plate wasn't meant to be used with the Mopar steel bumper.
Ah-ha. Well there we go! That makes sense. :clap:

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR

The bottom line?
Where did you source the proper skid plate?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you source the proper skid plate?
One of the Mopar vendors, likely BAM or even Benny here on these forums. I've ordered from three different ones. I'd have to look at the box to be sure which one.
I bought the bracket kit (rear/lower brackets) that included the nuts and bolts from JustforJeeps because it was simple - they had a kit and I didn't have to figure out individual part numbers.

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant

Was thinking about ordering this bumper next and this post just saved me a bunch of headache. Next time I see you @ShadowsPapa I owe you a beer.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Anyone have a link to the plastic buttons that fill the holes?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
People have wondered about the steel used, some accuse it of being lighter than the Mopar part number, others say "it has to be, it's made in China" (so is the Mopar bumper)
So I don't have the gauge of the Mopar steel bumper - I don't own one, but I took a micrometer to my eBay bumper and in most places it's roughly .125.
Where it was pressed and stretched, such as the ends of the wings, or where there's curves that pulled the metal during the pressing process, it's a tad less but the flat areas are all but right at .125 (and that's subtracting for the paint. The steel itself is basically 1/8" in most places.)

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Theres a $360 version marketed for JKs which appears to be identical. Any reason why that wouldn’t fit? I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere the JK bumpers fit JL/JTs.

My apologies if this question has already been answered. If it was, I didn’t see it.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Or just wait for a real Mopar one to pop up in the marketplace. I got mine for 500 including the correct skid off the JL forum. I see them on CL often too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or just wait for a real Mopar one to pop up in the marketplace. I got mine for 500 including the correct skid off the JL forum. I see them on CL often too.
Yes, if you live in certain areas and/or are willing to wait. I looked for MONTHS and nothing at all showed up within a 1 day drive (there and back, round trip) and no one wants to ship these things.

So in my case it was spend several hundred for gas, take 2 days to drive and get one, or buy this one on eBay.
No regrets. Saved a lot of money and it's a great fit. Even Mopar parts fit it perfectly (bezels, lights, etc.) and it comes with a winch plate.

There were non on Craigslist, nothing on fakebook marketplace, nothing, for months. But then this is the midwest.
You'd likely find something in TX, AZ, CO, CA, FL, etc. where there are a lot more JTs and a lot more people doing heavy mods.

500 is fine but you don't normally see them that cheap! 600-700 is more the general rule. YOU WERE LUCKY at that price.
I have about 600 in mine, shipping included - bumper, skid plate and winch plate - since the bumper comes with it, and brackets.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
People have wondered about the steel used, some accuse it of being lighter than the Mopar part number, others say "it has to be, it's made in China" (so is the Mopar bumper)
So I don't have the gauge of the Mopar steel bumper - I don't own one, but I took a micrometer to my eBay bumper and in most places it's roughly .125.
Where it was pressed and stretched, such as the ends of the wings, or where there's curves that pulled the metal during the pressing process, it's a tad less but the flat areas are all but right at .125 (and that's subtracting for the paint. The steel itself is basically 1/8" in most places.)
I wonder if its different. I’d actually prefer a weight savings....

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Yes, if you live in certain areas and/or are willing to wait. I looked for MONTHS and nothing at all showed up within a 1 day drive (there and back, round trip) and no one wants to ship these things.

So in my case it was spend several hundred for gas, take 2 days to drive and get one, or buy this one on eBay.
No regrets. Saved a lot of money and it's a great fit. Even Mopar parts fit it perfectly (bezels, lights, etc.) and it comes with a winch plate.

There were non on Craigslist, nothing on fakebook marketplace, nothing, for months. But then this is the midwest.
You'd likely find something in TX, AZ, CO, CA, FL, etc. where there are a lot more JTs and a lot more people doing heavy mods.

500 is fine but you don't normally see them that cheap! 600-700 is more the general rule. YOU WERE LUCKY at that price.
I have about 600 in mine, shipping included - bumper, skid plate and winch plate - since the bumper comes with it, and brackets.
I am in Houston, and there is NOTHING...
Sponsored