Sponsored

Motor Trend: 11 most reliable brands. Jeep just makes the cut, beating Honda.

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
Even the axles themselves were redesigned for the JL. I'm not sure you could even find a bolt shared between the original Jeeps and the JL (they are all metric now). So it's the body on frame and solid axle that makes it reliable as that's the base formula? I don't get the reasoning in the slightest. I'm pretty sure every Ford owner ever wishes it was just the ifs and stamped chassis they had to worry about failing.
At least it beats a strung-out boosted 4cyl in a ā€œfull sizeā€ pickup. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Iā€™m sure Iā€™m about to piss someone else off with that commentā€¦
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
An N of 1,000 is typically enough to have a decent P-value in statistical analysis.

JD Power does that too, it looks at any return to the dealership as a ding against "initial quality". Ford got wise about it and started offering Infotainment classes at their dealership when you bought a new car to help get their numbers down; too many people were coming back just to have someone explain how to use the touchscreen instead of reading the manual or looking at Ford's videos on Youtube.
Really? Wouldnā€™t that be dependent on total number you are comparing. So if you had a sample size of 1000 out of say 500,000 data points, thatā€™s good enough? Seems low to me but statistics definitely ainā€™t my thing.

OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
Really? Wouldnā€™t that be dependent on total number you are comparing. So if you had a sample size of 1000 out of say 500,000 data points, thatā€™s good enough? Seems low to me but statistics definitely ainā€™t my thing.
No, not really. You just need a high enough N to show that your results are representative and not due to chance. We do medical studies all the time with an N of 500-1,000 with a solid P of 0.01-0.05 and generalize that result to a population of billions.

Sponsored

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
At least it beats a strung-out boosted 4cyl in a ā€œfull sizeā€ pickup. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Iā€™m sure Iā€™m about to piss someone else off with that commentā€¦
The JL is offered with a boosted 4 cylinder though? (And it's better than the 3.6L in power and efficiency)

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
The JL is offered with a boosted 4 cylinder though? (And it's better than the 3.6L in power and efficiency)
The JL is not a ā€œfull sizeā€ or a pickupā€¦. It also has awful turbo lag (at least the ones Iā€™ve driven).

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
The JL is not a ā€œfull sizeā€ or a pickupā€¦. It also has awful turbo lag (at least the ones Iā€™ve driven).
I've only driven our 2019 so the etorque could have masked it, but there was no discernible turbo lag even lifted on 38s. Fully built with armor, bumper, winch, tires, lift, recovery gear etc it weighed in at 5400lbs so I'd argue it was absolutely a full sized and im not sure what difference a bed would make in the engine comparison. The 3.6L in our 2022xr and my JT feels more like it has turbo lag to me, but that is a result of peak hp being well over 6k rpms.

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 1997 TJ
I'm lost here. Are you all saying Jeeps are worthless unreliable trash that couldn't make the list without passing gobs of cash under the table or are you all saying Jeeps are reliable and dependable and deserved to make the list or are you all trying to separate good Jeep models from bad Jeep models because some deserve to be on the list and others don't?

Yay Jeep, We Are Number One One! Twice the Ones, Twice the Funs. Goooo Jeep! :clap::clap:

kubankevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon 6M
Occupation
IT Network Manager
https://www.motortrend.com/features/most-reliable-dependable-car-brands/

TL;DR:
  1. Lexus
  2. Toyota
  3. Buick
  4. Chevrolet
  5. Mini
  6. Porsche
  7. Mazda
  8. Kia
  9. BMW
  10. Dodge
  11. Jeep
Reliability is hard to rank because it all depends on model year, batches, conditions, and luck of the draw aka RNGesus.

My previous vehicle was a ā€˜21 Tacoma with the 3.5L and the automatic gearbox gave me quite a bit of trouble with it just refusing to use 2nd gear and going from 1st to 3rd.

I have a neighbor that had his brand new Tundra 3.5TT be in the shop for over a month with turbo wastegate issues keeping the vehicle in limp mode.

Yet a lot of people swear by Toyota because theyā€™ve had no issues.

My personal take is the simpler it is, the more reliable it tends to be. The YJ and TJ are generally regarded as the cornerstone of reliability in the Wrangler universe andā€¦ surprise, surpriseā€¦ they are insanely simple in their design.

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
I'm lost here. Are you all saying Jeeps are worthless unreliable trash that couldn't make the list without passing gobs of cash under the table or are you all saying Jeeps are reliable and dependable and deserved to make the list or are you all trying to separate good Jeep models from bad Jeep models because some deserve to be on the list and others don't?

Yay Jeep, We Are Number One One! Twice the Ones, Twice the Funs. Goooo Jeep! :clap::clap:
Yes.
Sponsored