First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Motor Trend is falling into irrelevance.

They must be desperate for clicks.
that and they’re too busy getting Eiffel Towered by the Colorado and the Tacoma.

i read these articles from time to time and 2 things become clear: 1 GM has decided its more cost effective to buy JD Power and CD than it is to actually make RD efforts. I mean fuck, they sent their truck engineers to the Deerborn F-150 free open to the public tour to try and gather intel. The 2019 Silverado is the first fucking time theyve actually been able to make a frame and steering rack design that allows the steering wheel to be centered on the damn driver. Theyre THAT far behind.

2 these journalists ay CD have *****ZERO***** off roading experience.

Sweepjeep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Gladiator
Occupation
Chimney Sweep
Years ago, the same was said about the Scrambler CJ-8. I think the driving glove types who drink $6.00 coffees with foam that write these condescending articles are troubled by the fact that it doesn’t fit into a box that already has a few other vehicles in it. Lacking capability to think outside the box, they couldn’t like it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Consumer Reports also HATED the JK. I assume the MT people and the CR people are the same aged soccer moms and senile grannies, all comparing things to their Escalades and minivans.

Sponsored

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Gladiator
Occupation
Respiratory Therapist
It isn't intended to be the best truck or the best off-roader ever, though. It's intended to be one vehicle that can do both well enough for most. How many consumers can afford to buy both a new F-250 and a new Wrangler? Some consumers might want something that offers reasonable all around utility in one package, and that's the niche the Gladiator fills. C&D got this when they named it a 10 Best car last year despite it's clear shortcomings in the truck category. Find another off road capable convertible pickup truck that does all of it better and I'll buy that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Well enough for most? I can think of only 1 off-roader that could be argued has an advantage off-road over the JTR, and it by much and it isn't in all situations, and that's the Wrangler Rubicon. What other factory stock vehicle can you buy right now that is superior to the Gladiator Rubicon? I wouldn't list a full size truck because they won't make it on 60% of the trails I run. Too big, too wide. The Gladiator Rubi, however, will pretty much do them all. I'd take a Gladiator Sport for off roading any day over any other pickup truck, including a fuly optioned ZR2 or Tacoma Turd Pro, which pretty much comes with street tires, btw.

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
https://www.motortrend.com/features...pointing-cars-trucks-suvs-we-drove-this-year/

Too long for off roading and too short bed for hauling, that's their big disappointments for the Gladiator to make the list?? I've not been a Jeeper for very long, but that seems really nitpicky.
Unbelievable. Toyota Tacoma is longer.
This guy needs to take a physics course.

If by off roading they mean rock crawling...maybe not.
Most rock crawlers are 10 year old beaters their owners put 15K into to make them rock crawling capable.

Besides the Gladiator is new. Most folks who own them owe money on them. they are not likely to take the risk.

The thing made it through the Rubicon trail.
What else do you need to know?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unbelievable. Toyota Tacoma is longer.
This guy needs to take a physics course.

Most rock crawlers are 10 year old beaters their owners put 15K into to make them rock crawling capable.

Besides the Gladiator is new. Most folks who own them owe money on them. they are not likely to take the risk.

The thing made it through the Rubicon trail.
What else do you need to know?
I actually think the Gladiator has some huge advantages in rock crawling, such as crossing a crevasse, or steep climbs. You won't see a Gladiator tip backward at Mickey's Hot Tub. But you'll see 2 door Wranglers do that all the time and occasionally even a 4 door. When you cross a crevasse or ditch, when one axle is working the problem the other is firmly planted with full traction and more stability.

The MT guys are just not off-roaders. I think their brethren at 4 Wheeler or whichever the off-road sister publication is would passionately disagree with their assessment.

I may be wrong, but if memory serves, I feel like the Gladiator's bed is deeper than the Tacoma. I looked at Tacomas seriously at one time and was taken aback by how shallow the bed is. Length is not the only way to measure a truck bed's capacity.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is not one thing I haven’t been able to haul, Or any trail/terrain I have not been able to traverse. I take their assessment with a grain of salt, set of boobies and a beer.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I actually think the Gladiator has some huge advantages in rock crawling, such as crossing a crevasse, or steep climbs. You won't see a Gladiator tip backward at Mickey's Hot Tub. But you'll see 2 door Wranglers do that all the time and occasionally even a 4 door. When you cross a crevasse or ditch, when one axle is working the problem the other is firmly planted with full traction and more stability.

The MT guys are just not off-roaders. I think their brethren at 4 Wheeler or whichever the off-road sister publication is would passionately disagree with their assessment.

I may be wrong, but if memory serves, I feel like the Gladiator's bed is deeper than the Tacoma. I looked at Tacomas seriously at one time and was taken aback by how shallow the bed is. Length is not the only way to measure a truck bed's capacity.
Yea, good point, this video of "Storm Trooper" rolling at Prichett Canyon is really eye opening. No spotter or bad spotting or even a small miscalculation can send you over in a wrangler, and we are seeing a very experienced driver. Once the rear tire gets in the hole off-camber - game over. The longer wheelbase of the Gladiator definitely helps in these situations.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek

Eh, ok, I'm the idiot who is willing to put body damage on a two year old JK that I still owe money on. That one was the replacement for the earlier one I totalled offroad. I'll take the JT through some nasty shit also.

Capabilities are just different, every vehicle is a compromise. As pointed out by Dan, length can be an advantage. AZ is absolutely covered with trails and rock crawling from easy to body damage guaranteed. I mean, I live near a trail aptly named "Collateral damage." It's also full of places where the length can help. I was pulling my camper trailer through a trail that had water running diagonally across, creating a huge rut. I would never have tried that with my JK and trailer, but the JT did fine by not having to put two tires in at once. That would have been a no-go with the trailer added.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eh, ok, I'm the idiot who is willing to put body damage on a two year old JK that I still owe money on. That one was the replacement for the earlier one I totalled offroad. I'll take the JT through some nasty shit also.

Capabilities are just different, every vehicle is a compromise. As pointed out by Dan, length can be an advantage. AZ is absolutely covered with trails and rock crawling from easy to body damage guaranteed. I mean, I live near a trail aptly named "Collateral damage." It's also full of places where the length can help. I was pulling my camper trailer through a trail that had water running diagonally across, creating a huge rut. I would never have tried that with my JK and trailer, but the JT did fine by not having to put two tires in at once. That would have been a no-go with the trailer added.
Lol, I had my JL off-road at 700 miles and people at the Badlands off road park told me I was crazy and stupid. I asked them why the hell have a Jeep if you don't enjoy it? Lol!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Lol, I had my JL off-road at 700 miles and people at the Badlands off road park told me I was crazy and stupid. I asked them why the hell have a Jeep if you don't enjoy it? Lol!
Yeah, WTF! I wheeled it at about 100 miles. I was ashamed it took that long.

Also, if you're not getting stuck and you're not scraping things, why bother? You're not wheeling.
Sponsored