Motor Trend's Most Disappointing Cars and SUVs We Drove in 2020

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Motor Trend and Consumer Reports must pull from the same effeminate pool of writers. Both seem to be afraid of anything that may elevate testosterone levels.
Lmao....YES! A whole pile of pajama boys.
Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.motortrend.com/features...pointing-cars-trucks-suvs-we-drove-this-year/

Too long for off roading and too short bed for hauling, that's their big disappointments for the Gladiator to make the list?? I've not been a Jeeper for very long, but that seems really nitpicky.
I’ve had mine on very narrow trails in the WA forests, sometimes with my XV3 trailer behind it. Snaking through trees it surprised me how nimble it is. While it’ll never be as nimble as a short wheel base, other drivers were amazed that I made it through without damage. It’s long but the body is narrower than full size trucks.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Simple fix. Lift the gladiator, buy a utility trailer. Take top off. Boom. Most versatile truck on the planet. Motor Trend are a bunch of rubes.
This rig has been through places MT would be too scared to go.

E750960D-6DC1-4B7A-BB73-4E3635BBCB90.jpeg

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
An Article brought to you by incompetent people who wrote articles proving they don’t know how to tow.... then gave reviews that were flawed . Irrelevant publication???? They’re really trying...

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yup...not reading....they can suqmuh.

Those mutts wouldnt know the difference between a celery stalk and a butt plug.
Haha! That’s the funniest sh!t I’ve heard in a long time. Thanks I needed that laugh!

Sponsored

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
System Administrator
I bought my Gladiator because it was narrow, rated well for projected 5-year total cost of ownership (TCO) and rated well with Consumer Reports. But now that I own it, my favorite part about owning it is this Forum right here since my experience drilling into wires and breaking it.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase

tstugel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Let me just answer them with a few random pictures from an easy google search.

Modern automotive journalism is in a sad state. Writers and editors are often judged on clicks rather than any traditional measures of good journalism. They are generally poorly paid hacks with a skillset geared towards the ability to get viewers to an article no matter how badly written. They are not paid to write well.

They love forums like this one because we inevitably have a sense of outrage at the unfairness of a posted article and we all click through to read it. I've taken to just ignoring them.
The only real issue is lack of power in our trucks IMO.

My JT Rubi drives well and hauls enough in the bed, but suffers when towing with low HP. 75 mph towing in a head wind is brutal with horrible fuel mileage.

Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
https://www.motortrend.com/features...pointing-cars-trucks-suvs-we-drove-this-year/

Too long for off roading and too short bed for hauling, that's their big disappointments for the Gladiator to make the list?? I've not been a Jeeper for very long, but that seems really nitpicky.
In the words of Tony Stark: "I'm sorry. This is the fun-vee. The hum-drum-vee is back there."

I don't see any F-150s driving around with the top and doors off. I don't see any Land Rovers hauling sheets of plywood in the non-existent bed in the back. I don't see other brands building their vehicles like LEGOs so we can customize everything easily.

No other vehicle checks the same boxes as the Gladiator. Yes....it's not for everyone. But it's also incomparable.

All the haters can beat it.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Take off the top, and it becomes a long bed.

[No, seriously--this made a difference for me, was able to move my entire office including furniture. Unexpected benefit!]

Last edited: