First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Anyone out there mounting awnings to their rigs? What are your thoughts? I’m having a difficult time finding the direction I want to go with the bed of my truck and I feel that a mounted awning may be a driver of that decision. Seeing excellent innovation of the likes of @WhatExit? with low mount racks to take on RTT and still utilize the tonneau cover make the decision more difficult of how high I want to mount a rack.

Who out there has a good awning and prefers it well beyond that of a separate unit? I’m slowly becoming convinced that a low/mid height rack (with or without a RTT) will be a good solution, but will lose the mounted awning option (unless you’re into crouching or very short).

Let’s see what ya got!
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Tyler!

I haven't spent any time considering awnings but I have some familiarity with them. I know some of them are high quality and $pendy. How about a "poor man's version" attaching a tarp to the rack and the other corners supported by tent poles which, if tall enough, could raise them higher. Of course it would require ropes and stakes to keep the tent poles up and the tarp stretched.

Just trying to think outside the hundreds of dollars solutions sold to "overlanders." :giggle:

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Thanks Tyler!

I haven't spent any time considering awnings but I have some familiarity with them. I know some of them are high quality and $pendy. How about a "poor man's version" attaching a tarp to the rack and the other corners supported by tent poles which, if tall enough, could raise them higher. Of course it would require ropes and stakes to keep the tent poles up and the tarp stretched.

Just trying to think outside the hundreds of dollars solutions sold to "overlanders." :giggle:

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
I made this for my jku it was great for the beach. I used a mesh tarp, tent poles, stakes, strings for anchors, and bungee balls to attach to roll bar. It blocked some sun yet let air through. Made staying out longer on the beach easier. Might need to mount poles to bed rail for gladiator

EE4EA598-0ECA-4AE6-AAD1-CD3CDAA03039.jpeg

63BCB1C1-DDA8-476C-AF35-D459CE26CFC4.jpeg

Black_Widow_Overland

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/max tow, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have my awning attached to a Exposed Rack System. It was made for my JLU I had, but then made it work for my Gladiator. I then made custom brackets to attach the awning to my rack. The Exposed Rack System is strong enough to support a roof top tent. It has weight distribution legs.

20190802_192845.jpg

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have my awning attached to a Exposed Rack System. It was made for my JLU I had, but then made it work for my Gladiator. I then made custom brackets to attach the awning to my rack. The Exposed Rack System is strong enough to support a roof top tent. It has weight distribution legs.

20190802_192845.jpg
What awning is that? If you don't mind linking that would be great :D

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

20190802_192845.jpg
I've never seen those Exposed Rack Systems before...very interesting!

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
I’m running a Nuthouse rack, and they are fabricating mounts for the Peregrine 270 awning. I have the full height rack, which should mean the awning will be about 82” off the ground. I’m 6’2” and wanted something I wasn’t continually ducking to get underneath.

Sponsored

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've never seen those Exposed Rack Systems before...very interesting!
Do you mind taking some more photos of how its attached? I'm trying to get some inspiration for the brackets.

Also, how far past does the awning extend past the top of the roof? Looks like a foot or so. Any trouble? I'm looking to get as much shade as possible without having to add a bed rack.

Thanks!

Black_Widow_Overland

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/max tow, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do you mind taking some more photos of how its attached? I'm trying to get some inspiration for the brackets.

Also, how far past does the awning extend past the top of the roof? Looks like a foot or so. Any trouble? I'm looking to get as much shade as possible without having to add a bed rack.

Thanks!
Angle iron. Hope these pictures are clear and helpful

15948675509835665956542018443988.jpg

1594867619784797847543280866342.jpg

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the overland vehicle systems 270 awning and I should have it sometime late next week. Once its installed I'll snap some pictures. It will work out nicely on my custom fabricated rack & RTT set up. It should have about 7' clearance under the awning.

20200619_183400.jpg

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I also have a OVS 270 on order. Went with the passenger side mounting. Still have a few weeks wait......
Will be mounting atop an AluCab bed cap.

Diggs9

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2008 Toyota Tundra dblcab 4x4
Occupation
wood worker
Vehicle Showcase
mine is the Tuff Stuff Overland , love them both. Easy install and easy deploy.
Jeep Gladiator Mounted Awnings IMG_0599
Sponsored