First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
New to removal top Jeeps, in my Cherokee I had an OEM roof rack to mount all kinds of things on. I know there have been roof racks for Wranglers but I’m curious as to what the solution for the JT might be?

I can’t imagine the fiberglass drip rails are suitable for mounting anything to. That said, I don’t have the truck yet but I think I would prefer solar mounted on the hard top out of the way rather than on a bed rack where I might mount a tent or other accessories. I can imagine a guy could add an extension onto a bed-mounted rack over the hard top for mounting lightweight panels, but I want to see what’s out there.

Are there solutions available or in the works yet?
Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
The Expedition Overland guys are running a rack on the drip rails. Not sure if there’s other structure to it or not but they’ve got a lot of gear up there.

OP
OP
Daddiator

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
How much solar do you need?
From the research I’ve done so far, I think two 100 watt panels is what I’d shoot for to run a fridge with a dual battery system. The Renogy panels that seem to be popular run about 16 pounds each and I think would fit on the truck’s roof?

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
From the research I’ve done so far, I think two 100 watt panels is what I’d shoot for to run a fridge with a dual battery system. The Renogy panels that seem to be popular run about 16 pounds each and I think would fit on the truck’s roof?

So maybe 38lbs with brackets. I’d have no qualms about running that of the drip rails. They are good enough on quality also

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
There’s a lot of things that have not been discussed yet here.
Most overlanding vehicles run a dual battery system that is kept charged off the engine. Can you get away with that?

When stationary for several days many guys will use a portable solar set up with its own charge controller. Overland Solar has a nice foldable set up but its not cheap.

Most overland vehicles really don’t need that much battery power ... just for a fridge and a few led lights..

OP
OP
Daddiator

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
Realistically since my only planned trip is just for two weeks or so at a time, the truck will probably be ran daily for some amount of time. I guess with dual batteries I won’t have to worry about keeping the fridge goong.. As far other draws on the electrical system, I feel we’ll get our devices/laptop adequately charged while on the road daily without a solar set up. Lighting isn’t much of an issue because I keep portable LED battery-powered lanterns around. I just want to make sure I’m properly equipped. I just don’t know a whole lot about how exactly to equip it yet lol.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
I’ve tossed around going solar for a while now. I’d really like to, but I just don’t wanna give up that much flat space.

If you’re only running a fridge, at 0.87amp/hour draw (50qt ARB), it’s gonna take you a long time to draw down a 65+ AH battery.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
The oem JL roof rack could hold 150lbs iirc - should be the same on the Gladiator. Just be sure to not mount the forward bar to the freedom tops.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Realistically since my only planned trip is just for two weeks or so at a time, the truck will probably be ran daily for some amount of time. I guess with dual batteries I won’t have to worry about keeping the fridge goong.. As far other draws on the electrical system, I feel we’ll get our devices/laptop adequately charged while on the road daily without a solar set up. Lighting isn’t much of an issue because I keep portable LED battery-powered lanterns around. I just want to make sure I’m properly equipped. I just don’t know a whole lot about how exactly to equip it yet lol.
Check out this video on how to upgrade your battery system.
It’s not cheap but it is a really well made system.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Also check out this thread:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/solar-panel-overlanding.15492/

and this one:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/genesis-dual-battery-kit.18839/

OP
OP
Daddiator

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
Some great responses here that I can’t decide if they’re going to save me money or just trouble. Lol. I’m sold on that Genesis dual battery kit after watching the install video. With daily travel charging I doubt I’ll need to run any solar for charging just to keep a little fridge going. Of course, solar can be added on down the road anyway.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
I've been running a dual Odyssey battery setup in my JKUR for a few years. With a fridge, some lighting, charging electronic devices etc I can stay out indefinitely with a high quality 60w folding solar panel without ever starting the engine. If I am driving at all on a given day I do not need the solar at all, the Alternator tops it off in minutes if its been sitting for 24hrs. Heres the panel I use, not cheap but it's been a very good one. Their ArkPak portable battery system is also a good option for a dual battery setup that is still portable for use outside of the vehicle, just an FYI..

https://www.arkportablepower.com/products/60w-solar-panel
Sponsored