Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Soooo.

I had a 291 mile drive back from Idaho Falls to Nampa ID, ran I84 the way back, and fighting a 10-20 mph head wind the whoooooole way.

I manually kept her in 8th as much as I could be had to run in 7th a large part of the trip from the hills and wind.

I was avg almost 19 since new, just over 2500 miles now. But not now! Avg 14.1 the way back.

Speed limit is 80 in ID, I ran at 82 on the cruse control.

Good news is ran the high way just fine!

Oh the trip was to go to Craters of the Moon National Park, had a blast. The trip out I ran the N state highway, 72 mph 90% of the way at 18.3 avg.

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg
Sponsored

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 JTR ecodiesel, GMC Yukon XL Denali
I drive up to Boise from Salt Lake City once a month. I have a 4 inch lift and 37's and once I get over 65mph the fuel efficiency tanks. I'm in the Ecodiesel and around town I get a comfortable 22mpg but on the way to Boise it will drop to 13-14mpg due to headwind and freeway speeds.
Brian

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I drive up to Boise from Salt Lake City once a month. I have a 4 inch lift and 37's and once I get over 65mph the fuel efficiency tanks. I'm in the Ecodiesel and around town I get a comfortable 22mpg but on the way to Boise it will drop to 13-14mpg due to headwind and freeway speeds.
Brian
I live in Meridian, and exactly. 4.5" lift 37's with 5.13 gearing. anything over 65mph and I'm stopping for gas twice as much. Gut I do have a low profile RTT on it (roughly 6") over the soft top. Truck is happiest at about 45 mph as far as MPG's go. I'm 2unning about 2k rpm's at 65. fyi. I can usually make it from Meridian to Tremonton on a tank. When I throw my stock wheels on with 33's, I can squeeze 400 miles out of 1 tank, which I think is pretty good. but still at 65 mph.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I was avg almost 19 since new, just over 2500 miles now. But not now! Avg 14.1 the way back.
Nice, is this in the gasser or eco-diesel? Are you lifted or have over size tires? Sounds like your trip was a blast!

Brian
Thank you for this Brian. My last truck got me 12mpg city and 16hwy. I'd be happy with 22mpg city and 14mpg highway as I rarely every do highway driving on the day-to-day.

However, in your opinion, would a slightly less aggressive lift benefit mpg at highway speeds?

I have my eco-diesel on the way with 37's and a 2 inch Mopar lift... that 10 hour drive home is going to suck at 14mpg! LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
Josh00333

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Nice, is this in the gasser or eco-diesel? Are you lifted or have over size tires? Sounds like your trip was a blast!

Gas, 4.10's on 285/75r17 (33.8" or so), no lift, but front 1.5" spacer w 3/4" spacer in the rear.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We ran over to the CA central coast last weekend, wife drives faster than I do which means long trips are all her. 350 miles in 2.5 days, 120 each way, 80-ish as much as traffic will allow, 16.x MPG calculated with a fair amount of rural roads and surface streets in there. Given the coast range has MULTIPLE passes to get through, not just Cuesta Grade, we're fine with that kind of mileage. JTR on 315/70R17's, gas of course. We didn't take the Honda SUV because, well, it's not fun nor a convertible!

Craters of the Moon looks amazing, my is a geology nerd and she's adding that to our list!

Soooo.

I had a 291 mile drive back from Idaho Falls to Nampa ID, ran I84 the way back, and fighting a 10-20 mph head wind the whoooooole way.

I manually kept her in 8th as much as I could be had to run in 7th a large part of the trip from the hills and wind.

Speed limit is 80 in ID, I ran at 82 on the cruse control.

Good news is ran the high way just fine!

Oh the trip was to go to Craters of the Moon National Park, had a blast. The trip out I ran the N state highway, 72 mph 90% of the way at 18.3 avg.

briandmiles

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 JTR ecodiesel, GMC Yukon XL Denali

Thank you for this Brian. My last truck got me 12mpg city and 16hwy. I'd be happy with 22mpg city and 14mpg highway as I rarely every do highway driving on the day-to-day.

However, in your opinion, would a slightly less aggressive lift benefit mpg at highway speeds?

I have my eco-diesel on the way with 37's and a 2 inch Mopar lift... that 10 hour drive home is going to suck at 14mpg! LOL
Yes, I think a less aggressive lift would help. I've got coilovers and have thought about dropping it to a 3 inch lift (the minimum for my kit). Also I didn't mention that I have an RSI smartcap and a RTT on top right now. Those two things, or at least the RTT, would help if I took them off as well.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I think a less aggressive lift would help. I've got coilovers and have thought about dropping it to a 3 inch lift (the minimum for my kit). Also I didn't mention that I have an RSI smartcap and a RTT on top right now. Those two things, or at least the RTT, would help if I took them off as well.
That’s even better to know, if with 37’s I get even 20mpg highway I would be so happy.
Sponsored