Mud Flaps

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Do you have a pic of the long/standard? I'm staying stock and want to protect the sides of my baby!
Go to their website.
Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
But the Gladiator is a truck, so to say this is an off-road vehicle forum leaves out half of the Gladiator owners............ in my state, probably 80% of them.
It's a truck that's off-road capable (more than any other)

What I've found is "splash guards" protect the paint on the hinges, keep crud from being thrown up at the side windows by the front wheels, and keep the vehicle trade-in value much higher.
A/T tires can really toss rocks with some energy.......
Is there something wrong with trying to make it last a bit longer by some simple task or accesory?
So far, no one is amazed at the threads on undercarriage rust, or rust prevention, or paint protection, or protecting steel accessories from rust.
Isn't it all the same thing?
Just wondering.

Mine is a truck first - I haul stuff, I tow stuff.

20210614_111855_HDR.jpg

Just over a thousand pounds of in that load - AND, it's off road!
20210331_132206_HDR.jpg
it is all the same thing in a sense, but I do see a difference in a thread about rust prevention and mud flaps. Paint chips and rot are two totally different things. There’s nothing wrong with it, per se, but I seriously doubt there’s a huge difference in retained value or longevity due to owners kicking rocks or mud up on their own vehicles, or lack there of. If anyone were that concerned about it, they could avoid a lot of the hassle by keeping stock tire width. At the end of the day, I’ve been a member of multiple forums, and never have I seen such a focus on this subject, especially for a straight axle vehicle known for off road capabilities. I just find it odd, that’s all. I traded in a pristine 2wd F-150 for my JT because I needed a 4wd. And I expect it to have some 4wd “scars”, just like my JKU did. Seriously though, mudflaps aren’t keeping a vehicle’s resale value up. I’ve been friends with multiple dealer employees in my life, and unless the exterior is a disaster, little paint chips mean nothing for trade in or resale value.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
it is all the same thing in a sense, but I do see a difference in a thread about rust prevention and mud flaps. Paint chips and rot are two totally different things. There’s nothing wrong with it, per se, but I seriously doubt there’s a huge difference in retained value or longevity due to owners kicking rocks or mud up on their own vehicles, or lack there of. If anyone were that concerned about it, they could avoid a lot of the hassle by keeping stock tire width. At the end of the day, I’ve been a member of multiple forums, and never have I seen such a focus on this subject, especially for a straight axle vehicle known for off road capabilities. I just find it odd, that’s all. I traded in a pristine 2wd F-150 for my JT because I needed a 4wd. And I expect it to have some 4wd “scars”, just like my JKU did. Seriously though, mudflaps aren’t keeping a vehicle’s resale value up. I’ve been friends with multiple dealer employees in my life, and unless the exterior is a disaster, little paint chips mean nothing for trade in or resale value.
But if you keep your truck for a long time like I do " traded in my 2005 Xterra that I bought new " for my truck and this one is going to be the same way so I like to keep it nice and if mud flaps help ...well there you go... To each their own .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

For me it's a bigger deal in winter - you keep the chlorides used on the roads here off the sides and from getting where it would otherwise get to. Makes it easier cleaning.

Chips lead to rust, on aluminum, it's worse as it gets eaten away pretty quickly.

And again, these are trucks. For the off-road purist, they aren't buying a truck, they are buying a Wrangler.
You are seeing differences because you are lumping these in with off-road vehicles.
These are capable, but the primary value is in it being a truck for hauling and towing.
People treat trucks differently than they do off-road vehicles.
So you'll see differences in this forum because for many of us, it's about payload and tow capability - less about pure off-road.
Of course you won't see talk of splash guards, mud flaps, whatever, in the Wrangler forums, those are aimed at off-road.
Gladiator is aimed at the light truck market - but for those who also like to take a truck off the highways now and then.
Totally different buyer and market. Different needs, different psychology involved.

Truck - different buyers.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But if you keep your truck for a long time like I do " traded in my 2005 Xterra that I bought new " for my truck and this one is going to be the same way so I like to keep it nice and if mud flaps help ...well there you go... To each their own .
Agreed. Again, no right or wrong way.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For me it's a bigger deal in winter - you keep the chlorides used on the roads here off the sides and from getting where it would otherwise get to. Makes it easier cleaning.

Chips lead to rust, on aluminum, it's worse as it gets eaten away pretty quickly.

And again, these are trucks. For the off-road purist, they aren't buying a truck, they are buying a Wrangler.
You are seeing differences because you are lumping these in with off-road vehicles.
These are capable, but the primary value is in it being a truck for hauling and towing.
People treat trucks differently than they do off-road vehicles.
So you'll see differences in this forum because for many of us, it's about payload and tow capability - less about pure off-road.
Of course you won't see talk of splash guards, mud flaps, whatever, in the Wrangler forums, those are aimed at off-road.
Gladiator is aimed at the light truck market - but for those who also like to take a truck off the highways now and then.
Totally different buyer and market. Different needs, different psychology involved.

Truck - different buyers.
I agree- used for different purposes, and I’m no off road enthusiast, trust me. Nothing wrong with whatever anyone wants to do, I just couldn’t believe how long the thread was on this topic.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just couldn’t believe how long the thread was on this topic.
We are actually thinking along the same lines, just coming at it differently.
I put on the MOPAR ones and called it good.
If I did a lot of off-road where I might find myself with a spashguard caught between a tire and a rock, threatening to be ripped off, I might think differently, but for my purposes, they'd done a great job.
The dealer says I can keep 'em when I bring it back to turn it over to them. I'll need some more POM rivets........

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We are actually thinking along the same lines, just coming at it differently.
I put on the MOPAR ones and called it good.
If I did a lot of off-road where I might find myself with a spashguard caught between a tire and a rock, threatening to be ripped off, I might think differently, but for my purposes, they'd done a great job.
The dealer says I can keep 'em when I bring it back to turn it over to them. I'll need some more POM rivets........
Yeah, even some of the dirt roads around our property in N FL would take a mud flap hostage if a vehicle weren’t lifted enough.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have XL/Long on front. Flap is 14” below fender and 2.5” outside from fender edge.
8DF4B66B-68D8-4CA4-B0B6-2C91A410BAF0.jpeg
8FB38D24-EB84-495A-9473-33FC32235A5F.jpeg
E18D8BED-8E9B-409F-9C40-D8A6CB8800AE.jpeg
Apologies for thread revival, about to pull trigger on Rokblokz.

What is the offset on your rim? I'm running 35s on a 4.75" backspace rim, maybe 1-1.5" poke and trying to decide between original or XL (regular length). You think reg length would have covered enough?

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
My apologies but I have no idea what my rim backspace is. I’d go with the bigger ones though and see how they look. If you’re not happy just exchange them. Customer service there is excellent.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer

What is the offset on your rim? I'm running 35s on a 4.75" backspace rim, maybe 1-1.5" poke and trying to decide between original or XL (regular length). You think reg length would have covered enough?
With that much poke I would definitely get the XL but if you offroad a lot I would not get long. I drag my regular length ones on rocks occasionally.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
With that much poke I would definitely get the XL but if you offroad a lot I would not get long. I drag my regular length ones on rocks occasionally.
I pulled the trigger on XL regular length. The fronts are almost perfectly in line with my poke. Haven’t installed rear yet.

I will say pictures make these things look huge and I wasn’t interested in them but after install of the fronts, they look great.

FKN Slayer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Green Gladiator
Occupation
Sam's Club Receiving associate
Anyone having any good feedback on Mud Flaps/Splash Guards. Have Sport S Max Tow with Rubi 33" take offs. Need something to keep from having ton of stuff thrown up onto the truck

Appreciate any feedback on reliable product
I have a Sport S Max tow Aldo. I just put Rokblokz on for the same reason. They cut down on the shit by 90%. Highly recommend them.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate

Upon further research the rims have 5.2” of offset