First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
A quick non-professional opinion on going from stock sport s shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks. My butt is no suspension or shock expert, but i'll tell you what my butt is telling me.

JT sport s with 100% stock suspension and steering other than adding a Teraflex 1" front spacer and adding the falcon shocks. Tires are E rated bfg ko2's 285/70/17. Relatively light weight with plastic bumpers, but rubicon sliders and a bed molle panel with hi-lift and off road tote, but nothing really else in the jeep.

previously with the stock shocks, the ride was bouncy and relatively uncontrolled. Floaty is a good word at any speed 55mph or higher on the interstate. Hitting a bump would allow a lot of suspension movement, with the axles seemingly going wherever they wanted to, and the steering getting a little hairy. The suspension would take at least 2 compression/rebound cycles to settle, and sometimes a small 3rd cycle for bigger bumps. I suspect (again, not 100% certain) that the stock shocks are too soft to properly control the springs, and the springs are just bossing the shocks around. So the ride ends up being bouncy as the springs keep oscillating. Hitting a bump unsettles the axles noticeably from a steering perspective.

So i wanted a quality set of shocks that aren't more than what i need. The falcon sp2 2.1 seemed like a good balance between price, quality, and being 2-mode adjustable.

after install, it's a night and day difference -these falcons are fantastic. I have them set on the soft setting, and they are definitely not too stiff, even riding on load E tire that are a little over-inflated. The huge difference is that with every bump, no matter the size (and we have a huge 55mph whoop at a bridge here where i live that is terrible) there is only one compression/rebound cycle. The ride is totally planted. The suspension is perfectly controlled. Just switching shocks totally transformed how the jt rides and drives. No added harshness and unbelievably better to drive. These shocks are not too stiff - it seems like they are adequately matched to the springs. I might switch to the performance setting just to see what that is like, but the soft setting is plenty compliant.

If you have standard oem shocks, i would highly recommend researching a quality shock replacement. Worth every penny. Wanted to throw this out there for anyone thinking about keeping their suspension relatively mild or near stock, and just want to vastly improve the ride and drive.
Sponsored

ChaosActual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
I got the Rancho 9000 adjustable and I can't wait to try them out. I agree the stock Sport shocks are floaty.

Wish I had known about the Falcon shocks or I might have gone that route. I just wanted some adjustability without breaking the bank.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
A quick non-professional opinion on going from stock sport s shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks. My butt is no suspension or shock expert, but i'll tell you what my butt is telling me.

JT sport s with 100% stock suspension and steering other than adding a Teraflex 1" front spacer and adding the falcon shocks. Tires are E rated bfg ko2's 285/70/17. Relatively light weight with plastic bumpers, but rubicon sliders and a bed molle panel with hi-lift and off road tote, but nothing really else in the jeep.

previously with the stock shocks, the ride was bouncy and relatively uncontrolled. Floaty is a good word at any speed 55mph or higher on the interstate. Hitting a bump would allow a lot of suspension movement, with the axles seemingly going wherever they wanted to, and the steering getting a little hairy. The suspension would take at least 2 compression/rebound cycles to settle, and sometimes a small 3rd cycle for bigger bumps. I suspect (again, not 100% certain) that the stock shocks are too soft to properly control the springs, and the springs are just bossing the shocks around. So the ride ends up being bouncy as the springs keep oscillating. Hitting a bump unsettles the axles noticeably from a steering perspective.

So i wanted a quality set of shocks that aren't more than what i need. The falcon sp2 2.1 seemed like a good balance between price, quality, and being 2-mode adjustable.

after install, it's a night and day difference -these falcons are fantastic. I have them set on the soft setting, and they are definitely not too stiff, even riding on load E tire that are a little over-inflated. The huge difference is that with every bump, no matter the size (and we have a huge 55mph whoop at a bridge here where i live that is terrible) there is only one compression/rebound cycle. The ride is totally planted. The suspension is perfectly controlled. Just switching shocks totally transformed how the jt rides and drives. No added harshness and unbelievably better to drive. These shocks are not too stiff - it seems like they are adequately matched to the springs. I might switch to the performance setting just to see what that is like, but the soft setting is plenty compliant.

If you have standard oem shocks, i would highly recommend researching a quality shock replacement. Worth every penny. Wanted to throw this out there for anyone thinking about keeping their suspension relatively mild or near stock, and just want to vastly improve the ride and drive.
Thanks for the write up, much appreciated. Do you happen to have the max tow option on your sport? Or do you happen to still have the old shocks laying around and if so could you share the part numbers. I have noticed the same with my stock sport s with the max tow option with respect to the shocks not quite seeming to conrol the springs very well.

Deleted member 30519

I've had the rough country n3 shocks for almost a year now and it's really bouncy too especially right before hitting the bridge like you said. Thanks for the write up. I'm gonna put these on my wish list for next year.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Great write up. I've been waiting on a good set of fox take offs with no luck, too long and now much higher mileage. I am going to order a set of these Falcons now. The same here, my ride on a Sport S way too floaty and bouncy. Did you get an extra 1" lift out of them? Do they look as good as the Fox shocks on the side view?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I have the same Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks that replaced my factory Rubicon Fox shocks and have a like positive experience.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I have the same Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks that replaced my factory Rubicon Fox shocks and have a like positive experience.
Can you say more about it? I am really over the floatiness of the stock Rubicon suspension so I've been shock shopping. However, I'm worried about getting one with too much rebound damping and getting a "jacking" effect with repeated hits.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Can you say more about it? I am really over the floatiness of the stock Rubicon suspension so I've been shock shopping. However, I'm worried about getting one with too much rebound damping and getting a "jacking" effect with repeated hits.
Keep in mind that everybody has their butt in seat calibration different.

That being said, from my experience and opinion going to the Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks, the ride is more firm but not too harsh and with no what I call "pogo stick" effect that some cheaper shocks seam to have. The Falcon set is really the first set of shocks I have owned that I truly believe a manufacturer has actually tuned to a specific vehicle and not just made something else in their stock catalog fit and work.

I run a Eibach Springs 2" Front and 1" rear spring setup with these shocks and no spacers.

OP
OP
Jeepin' John

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Thanks for the write up, much appreciated. Do you happen to have the max tow option on your sport? Or do you happen to still have the old shocks laying around and if so could you share the part numbers. I have noticed the same with my stock sport s with the max tow option with respect to the shocks not quite seeming to conrol the springs very well.
No max tow on mine. I'll try to get the oem shock part numbers this weekend

OP
OP
Jeepin' John

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Great write up. I've been waiting on a good set of fox take offs with no luck, too long and now much higher mileage. I am going to order a set of these Falcons now. The same here, my ride on a Sport S way too floaty and bouncy. Did you get an extra 1" lift out of them? Do they look as good as the Fox shocks on the side view?
i think the ride height on mine is the same before /after

the falcons, like the fox shocks, look great, peeking out behind the tire. I need to take a good side pic but in the meantime, here are the couple of install pics i took

38B3388A-0A59-4210-9467-9287E4E7F491.jpeg

12635218-D468-4881-BE73-5D049E19B395.jpeg

Sponsored

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
Keep in mind that everybody has their butt in seat calibration different.

That being said, from my experience and opinion going to the Falcon SP2 2.1 shocks, the ride is more firm but not too harsh and with no what I call "pogo stick" effect that some cheaper shocks seam to have. The Falcon set is really the first set of shocks I have owned that I truly believe a manufacturer has actually tuned to a specific vehicle and not just made something else in their stock catalog fit and work.

I run a Eibach Springs 2" Front and 1" rear spring setup with these shocks and no spacers.
I would be interested in your take of the eibach springs. I like the 2” front amd 1” rear. I didn’t look to see if anyone other than synergy and Clayton made springs for the jt. I’m on 35s but I’m toying with the idea of just buying the mopar lift springs separately and getting some falcon sp2’s to accompany them.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
JT sport s with 100% stock suspension and steering other than adding a Teraflex 1" front spacer and adding the falcon shocks. Tires are E rated bfg ko2's 285/70/17.
“I added big, heavy tires and messed with the suspension and my ride sucked!”
I’m not singling out the O/P, but seriously, what did you expect to happen? Seems to be an all-to-common theme...

/rant

Kevin

OP
OP
Jeepin' John

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
“I added big, heavy tires and messed with the suspension and my ride sucked!”
I’m not singling out the O/P, but seriously, what did you expect to happen? Seems to be an all-to-common theme...

/rant

Kevin
should have been more clear - the 100% stock ride (not one mod) with 33" tires only was bouncy and floaty. No suspension mods at all, just tires. The oem shocks are too soft

Then i changed the shocks (spacer same time) and it is fantastic

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would be interested in your take of the eibach springs. I like the 2” front amd 1” rear. I didn’t look to see if anyone other than synergy and Clayton made springs for the jt. I’m on 35s but I’m toying with the idea of just buying the mopar lift springs separately and getting some falcon sp2’s to accompany them.
I honestly have no complaints with the Eibach springs. My lift is somewhat piecemealed but it is sound and got me where I wanted to stay at a mild 2" or below lift with slight leveling of the front but still a slight rake of the rear.

When I pieced my lift using the Eibach springs, I wanted to do the Mopar 2" lift but at that time the whole front spring bowing was a thing and that is what drove me to the 2"/1" spring lift and the Falcon SP2 2.1 0-1.5" shocks. Everything else in the industry aftermarket starts at 2.5" and goes up from there.

Eibach Front 2" Springs

Eibach Rear 1" Springs

Falcon SP2 2.1 Monotube Shocks 0-1.5"

Teraflex Progressive Bump Stop Kit

Mopar Front Sway Bar Links 2" Lift

Daystar Coil Spring Correction Kit (Front)

Jeep Gladiator My experience, OEM sport s shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1 20210506_225134

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I honestly have no complaints with the Eibach springs. My lift is somewhat piecemealed but it is sound and got me where I wanted to stay at a mild 2" or below lift with slight leveling of the front but still a slight rake of the rear.

When I pieced my lift using the Eibach springs, I wanted to do the Mopar 2" lift but at that time the whole front spring bowing was a thing and that is what drove me to the 2"/1" spring lift and the Falcon SP2 2.1 0-1.5" shocks. Everything else in the industry aftermarket starts at 2.5" and goes up from there.

Eibach Front 2" Springs

Eibach Rear 1" Springs

Falcon SP2 2.1 Monotube Shocks 0-1.5"

Teraflex Progressive Bump Stop Kit

Mopar Front Sway Bar Links 2" Lift

Daystar Coil Spring Correction Kit (Front)

Jeep Gladiator My experience, OEM sport s shocks to Falcon SP2 2.1 20210506_225134
Any issue with the front shocks being for 1.5” or are the lengths ok?
Sponsored