First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Sorry can you explain what caulk test is, I have no idea what that is.
I have a gas 3.6 auto and change the tires every 5K. I’m not sure where you are at but I’m in the Southern California area, the Inland Empire to be more specific.
I’m in the north end of San Bernardino by Cal State, lmk if you need help with anything.
Caulk test is misspelled, it’s supposed to say chalk test. You can find out if your tire pressures are over inflated or under inflated that way.
you also said 31k miles on the gladiator, it could just be time for those tires to go depending on your driving habits. I don’t expect to get more than 40k out of a set of Jeep tires, ever.
Sponsored

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I'm way north up in Washington state.

Sorry, darn auto correct, should be chalk test, as in sidewalk chalk. Rub a decent stripe on tires and drive forward. Do both front and rear. Adjust air pressure until all the chalk wears off evenly. YouTube should have several videos to further explain.

31k on the tires isn't bad, I put 40k+ on a set of Falken Wildpeak ATs on a 2500 Ram diesel, still had 15-20% tread left.

You've never stated what you considered funny wear, post some close ups of the tires.
My is running 33x12.50 Falkens on his TJ and hey wear funny is he goes upwards of 5k between rotations. He's going to go back to 3k rotations.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Yes, a better suspension WILL remedy this issue. With the less stiff springs and less shock dampening, you get more side-to-side movement, which will be seen in the tires, causing tire feathering.

There is no reason to take the stuff off of your truck until you need it. If you want it on there, leave it on there. Just upgrade the suspension a bit and you'll be good to go. If you still have the problem, then you can start looking at the tire/wheel combo and load range of the tires for the weight that you carry.

:)

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
OP says “So adding a beefier springs and suspension is not the solution?”

MY 2 PENNIES: CHANGE YOUR ENTIRE LIFT SYSTEM!

The problem I ran into was my Rubicon Express 3.0” lift and base shocks were not up to the task of towing and also hauling my overland set up. They sagged like yours and driving home from our out west trip was definitely difficult and my JT looked like it had been “bull dogged”.
I know people say to unload the overland gear from your JT when not using but I am very spontaneous. My wife and I could jump in our JT and head out camping this weekend… still waiting for that diesel heater I ordered!

I purchased a complete Tereflex overland kit with all new adj control arms, HD steering, adj Falcon Shocks and Adj Falcon steering stabilizer. Then had the Rubicon Express lift with 30,000 miles on it removed and added the complete Tereflex Overland 3.5” kit. I am so glad i did that!
I have the stock rake back again which I wanted and the lift is easily 1.5”es taller than the 3.0 Rubicon Express lift. The adjustability of the Tereflex falcons are fantastic! Very easy to do.The springs are much heavier duty and the HD steering kit that comes with the complete overland kit is perfect. Added HD Tereflex ball joints I’ve towed 6500 lbs with only minimal sag only down to level. No more bulldog! The JT drives and handles better than stock or than it did with the RE lift. Rubicon Express is not bad, I just wasn’t using that lift kit for what it was designed to do. I still love Rubicon Express lifts too.

I do have the BfG AT KO2 37’s so smaller diameter than other 37’s. They are on stock wrangler Rubicon wheels with 2” hub centric spacers all the way around (I’ve had those for 50,000 miles with zero issues! ) I often daily drive it but slowing down on that as it is at 92,000 miles. I just love driving my JT.

you can’t get individual springs for just the rear as far as I know. They have come out with HD springs now for front and back, I believe Tereflex had them first though. I am not going to air bag the JT now, I didn’t want to previously because of reliability issues with bags and off road travel. I am surprised how the stock 4:10 gears and brakes of the max tow handle the 37” BFG’s with no problem. I have plenty of power both stopping and going… really i am shocked how well it goes even in the high elevations out west in 104* heat and loaded to the max.
I have owned only diesel 1 tons before this JT for towing and hauling and I still own a 2013 Ford Mustang GT with a mildly built Coyote 5.0…. So I know what torque and speed feel like. No the JT isn’t that strong speed and torque wise but it does the towing and hauling very well in all conditions. With rack, tool box with camping gear and the RTT on it all the time, it does fine as a DD and can easily cruise at 75-80 (250 lbs of James Barroud). I don’t see 8th gear much with the auto but I do see 7th gear all the time. MPG is right at 15-17.

okay, my point: if you love your JT like I do, just replace your current lift. I recommend the Tereflex lift with the falcon adj shocks and steering stabilizer, the HD steering kit and the HD ball joints. I seriously think with your gear change you will be good and love your JT for a long time.

I am going to change gears… I think… but i am at 92,000 miles now and i am going to want lockers, stronger axle shafts etc… so I think I’ll just wait for the phase a couple of phases down the road for my JT (I was going to buy the Diesel Rubicon… just too many Issues by so many plus all the issues I had with my last rubicon made another JT purchase just not worth it for to me to change now). .

I have money saved for America’s
Most Wanted Hell cat or Demon conversion and so I’ll need to swap axles, D-shafts (I’m still on the original drive-shafts) transmission (upgraded 8 speed of course) and the T-case will get an upgrade. So that money is just going to have to wait. 😁

spacers if you are thinking of going that route are not worth the limited travel it creates. The JT even without lockers and the sway bar DCed does amazing well with some wheel travel, it’s modern traction control and the BFG’s (I have 50,00+ miles on them and still just under half of the tread. I’ve never pulled the winch yet and I’ve hit some pretty gnarly trails!

Jeep Gladiator Need advice on what is needed D853AA9A-1FCA-48EB-B22F-82F2D56600CB

Jeep Gladiator Need advice on what is needed 2EE0C0AF-51F0-4C72-8573-F25227EE7AAB

Jeep Gladiator Need advice on what is needed FDCE9913-AD3D-4CD5-A568-8B2F64185760

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fish_RN2a

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
A buddy of mine told me my tires are cupping. I’ll upload some pictures tomorrow when I have some daylight.

So a suspension upgrade will help? Could I do just a suspension or a lift as well?

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Cupping tires is caused by wheel balancing 99% of the time. On rarer occasion you’ll find cupping from a blown shock allowing the tires to literally bounce off the road. Of the 1% of these cases, 99% of those are on independent suspension systems and not straight axles. Just thinking out loud.
Sponsored