Need information on panel between fender and bumper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Please excuse my ignorance but I don't even know the name of the plastic piece I'm referring to, that attaches the fender and bumper. The Rubicon and higher end models don't have this piece, but my Sport S does and it's pretty obvious that you have to remove this if you get higher profile tires. My question is, when you remove this, how do you protect the fog lights and anything else under there that is covered by the back side of that panel?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm trying to learn this stuff as quickly as I can.
Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Use a good razor knife and cut around it leaving a cover over fog lights. I cut a little too much on the driver’s side but it is still sealed up.

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper A432956E-E8B8-4EC4-A34F-6DD461501579

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper B2008875-AF10-4965-9759-5C4EC1E9B40A

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper 0C4F36EC-081C-4139-8D52-63E7AD39D46E

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper D4C9B23B-69BB-4D1D-8374-436B18053F6F

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper B2455215-E0D4-4226-AB81-7D6838AF6055

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I call them air dams or trim pieces. I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to trim my friend's on his JL and found it to be a little cleaner cut.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
Thanks guys, I'll get my blade out and start trimming. I have a dremel, so if I run into problems I can take the whole thing off and use that if I need to.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
It is called a Sport JT Closure Panel, you can replace it with a Rubicon stock bomber closure panel that does not have the air dam bit connection to the bumper. I tried ordering one, never got it, ended up getting a refund. I guess the Dremel tool is next.
cheers

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I just cut mine out with a saw, That kept everything enclosed and sealed. Then a few months later I ended up with a new bumper so I could run a winch so it really didn't matter anyway. Those things are hideous, and had to be removed almost instantly. I added 9" slim line lite bars right where they used to be and its much better.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The closure panels DO make a difference for fuel economy, and fuel = money. So I left mine in place and only trimmed the lower air dam section just enough to clear my tires.

The tires hurt MPG too, but I didn't want a double whammy. :D

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
The closure panels DO make a difference for fuel economy, and fuel = money. So I left mine in place and only trimmed the lower air dam section just enough to clear my tires.

The tires hurt MPG too, but I didn't want a double whammy. :D
I figured that it could affect gas mileage, but surely it couldn't be more than a mile or two per gallon, could it? I mean, the Rubicon doesn't have the closure panels, that's the way it comes from the factory.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
And it only really has an effect for freeway/highway driving where speeds are greater than 60mph. Most of my JT driving is either towing, going 50/55mph max or 45/50mph on our county rural roads. So the air dam is of little benefit to me.
My plan is to replace it with the new, one piece smaller steel front Mopar front bumper.
cheers

Sponsored

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I'm sure there is another thread here on this subject, but I've learned a lot because I couldn't find the other threads and I really had no idea what the piece was called to search....very informative.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I FINALLY took the panels off. I think it looks great, and I'm going to trim them so that I can put the cover back on over the fog lights. Some pictures.

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper 20210727_175246

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper 20210727_175520

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper 20210727_175233

Jeep Gladiator Need information on panel between fender and bumper 20210727_175240

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
Taking these off wasn't a snap job. I counted 7 screws, and three clips that had to be removed. I also had to remove the piece in the middle that attaches between the grill and the fender, I had to pop all of those clips out and pull that section out. One screw I couldn't get my impact wrench behind it to unscrew it, there wasn't enough clearance, and the socket proved the same, so I had to go buy a 7mm wrench and take it out the old fashioned way, took a bit but both of those came out fine. Then, I found that the closure panel was intersected with the air dam on the bottom, and we had to push the closure panel up a bit and then pull hard on it to get it to clear. And, on the left side, there is a sensor of some kind mounted there and some wires were attached to the closure panel with a clip that had to be removed. It was harder to remove than the regular clips but with some effort it came out.

All that to say, it wasn't just a simple job but it went well in the end.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
But YOU did it and YOU sorted it out. That's a win. I'm being sincere here. Not wanting to sound condescending. I do not know your level of auto experience. I know when I started wrenching, everything took so damn long. The more I learned, the better I got.
Part of the fun of these is doing your own stuff and making it yours.

Taking these off wasn't a snap job. I counted 7 screws, and three clips that had to be removed. I also had to remove the piece in the middle that attaches between the grill and the fender, I had to pop all of those clips out and pull that section out. One screw I couldn't get my impact wrench behind it to unscrew it, there wasn't enough clearance, and the socket proved the same, so I had to go buy a 7mm wrench and take it out the old fashioned way, took a bit but both of those came out fine. Then, I found that the closure panel was intersected with the air dam on the bottom, and we had to push the closure panel up a bit and then pull hard on it to get it to clear. And, on the left side, there is a sensor of some kind mounted there and some wires were attached to the closure panel with a clip that had to be removed. It was harder to remove than the regular clips but with some effort it came out.

All that to say, it wasn't just a simple job but it went well in the end.

OP
OP
texanjeeper

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
But YOU did it and YOU sorted it out. That's a win. I'm being sincere here. Not wanting to sound condescending. I do not know your level of auto experience. I know when I started wrenching, everything took so damn long. The more I learned, the better I got.
Part of the fun of these is doing your own stuff and making it yours.
Thanks, and my experience with automotive isn't a lot. My dad who died in 2016 took care of my car issues, and I took care of his computer issues. We both thought it was a good trade. I can tell you that if I hadn't purchased that impact wrench, the job would have taken much longer. Those screws don't come out easily when you're turning a wrench by hand or even with a socket.
Sponsored